Quickshifter a bit vunerable

mmm, managed to drop the bike off its side stand, I thought it was in gear.  Not much damage as is went down slowly, however when I managed to pick it up again, (with the help of some bikers who stopped, thanks guys!) I noticed the gear lever had broken off, doh.

The quickshifter has a cast lug where the rubber fits on and looks like a weak point.

I am now in the Scottish borders, 400 miles from home and no gear lever - Luckily the Honda tool kit has an answer - see photos, a spanner (wrench to you guys over the pond) and a screwdriver saved the day.  

It lasted another 1,000 miles until I got home a week later!

When I did get home, Honda do not sell the lever separately, so rather than spend a fortune on a complete set, managed to drill and tap a hole and screw a replacement in.  

Now when I go away, i will take the original gear lever with me.....

Carlos

DSC_5161.JPG

• Member Contributer

Nice repair.  Did the same on my T595 a few years ago up in fort Augustus  managed to get to Oban some 60 plus miles away and drilled and tapped in a bolt. 

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your drop Carlos.  How did your thinking the bike was in gear lead to your drop?  I like to learn from others' mistakes so I'm just curious what the circumstances were.  That's a nIce piece of duct tape engineering BTW!

2 hours ago, Superballs said:

Possible it was on a hill in neutral when he left it on the stand and it rolled.

Which is why I always recommend parking "nose-up." 1) Gravity keeps the side-stand in the locked position, and 2) When it's time to taxi, you've got the engine ready to power you up the incline. You don't want to be trying to push a bike backwards up an incline if you can avoid it; whether on or off the saddle, assisted or not, that's just asking for a driveway drop. (Users from the GoldWing forum might beg to differ, but we don't have their electric reverse gear! :tongue: )

Which is why I always recommend parking "nose-up." 1) Gravity keeps the side-stand in the locked position, and 2) When it's time to taxi, you've got the engine ready to power you up the incline. You don't want to be trying to push a bike backwards up an incline if you can avoid it; whether on or off the saddle, assisted or not, that's just asking for a driveway drop. (Users from the GoldWing forum might beg to differ, but we don't have their electric reverse gear! tongue.png )

I also always make sure the bike is in gear when I get off of it, even on level ground.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Archived