Getting back in the saddle.

Noles

I appreciate the opinions on base vs. deluxe as i am weighing the pros and cons of each one as well as the cost difference.  I went to look at the used deluxe today and the salesman said he was riding with a friend who has a harley with ABS and almost rear ended a car due to a bump in the road as he went to brake.   Has anyone who has ABS had any negative experiences with them?

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Noles said:

I appreciate the opinions on base vs. deluxe as i am weighing the pros and cons of each one as well as the cost difference.  I went to look at the used deluxe today and the salesman said he was riding with a friend who has a harley with ABS and almost rear ended a car due to a bump in the road as he went to brake.   Has anyone who has ABS had any negative experiences with them?

I don't usually look to H-D riders for advice about handling.  For too long, too many of them have been the sources of stories about how they had to "lay 'er down" to avoid colliding with something, or how using the front brake will send you flying over the handlebars.  Never mind all the stuff about how helmets are dangerous...

The ABS can't easily be shut off so the only liability is if you spend a lot of time on fire roads.  But I've managed just fine so far.  Bumps haven't caused any problems but a couple of potholes have caused the ABS to fire, but not in a problematic way.

1 minute ago, Rectaltronics said:

I don't usually look to H-D riders for advice about handling.  For too long, too many of them have been the sources of stories about how they had to "lay 'er down" to avoid colliding with something, or how using the front brake will send you flying over the handlebars.  Never mind all the stuff about how helmets are dangerous...

The ABS can't easily be shut off so the only liability is if you spend a lot of time on fire roads.  But I've managed just fine so far.  Bumps haven't caused any problems but a couple of potholes have caused the ABS to fire, but not in a problematic way.

He did say honda probably has a better ABS system and even though he has 3 harleys he said he would only start on a cross country trip on a honda.  the problem with his friend was that the bump much like your pot hole happened as a guy stood on his breaks at the same time and because the ABS had engaged it didnt let him break so he had to swerve to miss hitting the car that had stopped in front of him.

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Noles said:

He did say honda probably has a better ABS system and even though he has 3 harleys he said he would only start on a cross country trip on a honda.  the problem with his friend was that the bump much like your pot hole happened as a guy stood on his breaks at the same time and because the ABS had engaged it didnt let him break so he had to swerve to miss hitting the car that had stopped in front of him.

So here's the thing...

If the ABS engages it's because a wheel left the pavement.

Even my car does this if I hit the brakes on shite roadway.

If a wheel has left the pavement it sure as hell ain't gonna be good for braking.

When the wheels both normalize, ABS should shut off.  If it doesn't then that's something that needs to be addressed with the manufacturer.  I definitely can't speak for what H-D does with its ABS.

I confess that I'm bloody impressed with someone who can't stop in time for something in front of him due to a brake malfunction, but can still manage to swerve and avoid.  Or maybe "almost" wasn't as close as it sounded to me initially.  I guess I'm guilty of nitpicking...

The op is precisely unsure about how to spend his money and has canvassed other people's opinions.

No one is bullying anyone into anything nor disrespecting anyone on this thread as far as I read it.

To the op... I've always bought second hand. I wouldn't be concerned about 7000 miles on a VFR. Not the miles, only whether it has had some unusual freak mechanical history or crash.

The deluxe option sounds good to me. All those extras will probably cost more if bought separately, unless again going second hand but that requires time and possibly dealing with some imperfections. I've always preferred this path myself as I just watch and wait for the perfect deal but admit package deals can be attractive.

Obviously you can't fit ABS to a basic model. I believe ABS has proven its worth these days, unless you learnt and seriously prefer old school.

Sorry but the gold wing and other model you mention I have no experience with except to say they are completely different bikes in terms of concept. Bigger, heavier, comfort oriented models for grand touring objectives.

Will you be riding with a fussy pillion? That may tip your scales one way or the other.

A warranty is always helpful but at 7000 miles and if no dark history, the bike has really just been run in.

• Member Contributer
On 6/7/2017 at 10:23 AM, GatorGreg said:

Thanks for the correction - I just edited my previous post to reflect this.

Also, there is no need to get "bent" out of shape over this subject.  Your post implies that I am being disrespectful to someone with regard to how they decide to spend their money.   I don't really see any evidence of that.  In fact, I am showing respect to the OP by attempting to answer his question.  Are you suggesting that we ignore his question?  The folks on this forum are very respectful and civil - this is not the other forum where the slightest disagreement leads to a protracted flame war :tongue:

GG, sorry for the way you took my second paragraph.  It actually wasn't directed at you personally but I can see how you would take it that way.  There is so much of "the deluxe is the only way to go" and the "standard is the only way to go" that I just get tired of hearing it.  People buy what they want to buy and that should be good enough.....unless someone wants to pay for my bike.....:goofy:  

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Bent said:

GG, sorry for the way you took my second paragraph.  It actually wasn't directed at you personally but I can see how you would take it that way.  There is so much of "the deluxe is the only way to go" and the "standard is the only way to go" that I just get tired of hearing it.  People buy what they want to buy and that should be good enough.....unless someone wants to pay for my bike.....:goofy:  

Thanks Bent - I've seen many of those threads so I certainly understand your point.

So I've had a number of bikes with and without ABS over the last few years, and bikes with Factory adjustable suspension. The ABS question is whether you feel the perceived value of it outweighs the added weight and additional plumbing involved in the system. I can't recall any time over the years I've had ABS that I've activated it in a braking situation. Maybe I've just been lucky, or I ride too conservatively, but this time around I chose to not go the extra $1000 for it, and just bought a 15 standard. Also I feel that most manufacturer's adjustable suspension is for the most part way overrated. The amount of adjustability is usually so limited as to make it a moot point. I chose to save the money for future upgrades that would be more effective.

I'm jumping in a bit late here...kinda like you, Noles, the last VFR I owned was a 2000 (sold it in 2004 and still regret it), and had a VF500 before that. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I just took the jump on a new 2014 base model they had in Cedarburg, WI. They're still keeping these quite a bit less expensive than the deluxe, and though missing some bells and whistles, I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Maybe it's the old schooler in me, or just the simple fact that the last bike I owned was a 98' CBR600 with absolutely zero luxury except hella get up and go, but base or deluxe, the 2014 is a ridiculously nice bike. I agree with everyone here that those deluxe upgrades are nice, but here in WI where motorcycling is pretty much a fair weather sport, I'm not going to fret about not having the heated grips or the ABS. Again, if you have the cash and can find the deluxe, it's 100% a nice grab and go for it. But, as someone who has been out of the motorcycle world for about 10 years, *just* the base is a beautiful bike and much much nicer than anything I've previously owned. 

Scoops what part of WI? When did you pick it up and color? I got mine 3 wks ago. There were 2 white and a red left. Red had a sold sticker but I wanted the white. I have same sentiment as you. Great bike! 

Archived