Getting back in the saddle.

Noles

I had an 03 VFR and sold it in 2007 which i now regret.   I am thinking about getting a new/used bike now after 10yrs and am deciding which bike to get.  I was looking at either a used gold wing, another vfr or possibly an ST1300.     I stopped into a local store to look at the gold wings and i brought up the fact that i had a VFR before, which i really enjoyed ,and he showed me a 2014 VFR Dlx  for 7999.  It has 6931 miles on it and has two side saddle bags and heli-bars.   I came here to do some research as i have been a member since my first VFR but hadn't been active since i sold it.   I have seen a couple of threads on here where there are leftover 2014 and 2015 brand new VFR800s for $6900 and deluxes for 8300 .  I have a few questions.   Is there a difference between the 14 vs 15 models?  Would it be a better deal to buy one from a dealer brand new or get the one here local 15mins from me in ohio with the saddle bags and 7k miles on it?  Or should i stick with my original plan of getting a gold wing for more comfortable riding on longer trips?   Any help will be greatly appreciated?  Also what about the VFR1200?  

My first vfr didnt have storage on it and that is definitely something i would want this go around which led me to looking into the Gold wing and ST1300 route.  Any opinions on these choices from those of you who have experience with any or all would be appreciated.     Thanks

IMG_20170602_141514645_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170602_141523620_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

'14 and '15 models are the exact same as far as I know.  The factory saddle bags are roughly $1K, so that makes the price of the used one more palatable assuming you would have added them to a new one.  I've got no experience with the other bikes on your list, sorry.

2 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

'14 and '15 models are the exact same as far as I know.  The factory saddle bags are roughly $1K, so that makes the price of the used one more palatable assuming you would have added them to a new one.  I've got no experience with the other bikes on your list, sorry.

Thanks I appreciate your opinion.   

I paid $8500 new for my 14 deluxe and cost me $900 and change for bags. So this comes down to what is a 1yr new warranty worth to you ? Plus it has about $250 in sliders on it. Seems like a good price to me . I came from a CTX1300 pig that would not lean near enough for twisties and when I drug pegs and parts and low sided I was not upset at all

when it was totaled so I could buy a sport touring bike vs the cruiser touring . At 54 I'm still too young for a touring only bike. I'm very happy with VFR, I know it don't have that lazy boy riding position and won't be near as comfy on long runs but I can live with that to have the SPORT part of the bike when I get there.

54 minutes ago, rckrzy1 said:

I paid $8500 new for my 14 deluxe and cost me $900 and change for bags. So this comes down to what is a 1yr new warranty worth to you ? Plus it has about $250 in sliders on it. Seems like a good price to me . I came from a CTX1300 pig that would not lean near enough for twisties and when I drug pegs and parts and low sided I was not upset at all

when it was totaled so I could buy a sport touring bike vs the cruiser touring . At 54 I'm still too young for a touring only bike. I'm very happy with VFR, I know it don't have that lazy boy riding position and won't be near as comfy on long runs but I can live with that to have the SPORT part of the bike when I get there.

Thanks  have you had any warrantee issues?

I purchased my New 2014 VFR base model for $8006 out the door to include the 1 yr manufactures warranty and another 4 yr unlimited mileage full warranty. I see you are in OH. If you look at Cedar Creek motors in WI you may be able to get a much better deal. 

29 minutes ago, Tews19 said:

I purchased my New 2014 VFR base model for $8006 out the door to include the 1 yr manufactures warranty and another 4 yr unlimited mileage full warranty. I see you are in OH. If you look at Cedar Creek motors in WI you may be able to get a much better deal. 

I saw them in a link but i don't think they have any left with the ABS.  Do you think it is worth saving the money going with the base model?

2 hours ago, Noles said:

I saw them in a link but i don't think they have any left with the ABS.  Do you think it is worth saving the money going with the base model?

The problem is you can't add ABS/TC after the fact. Center stand yes. I'm starting to like the self cancelling signals as well, still have to get used to the fact they will stop on their own.  And it comes with better suspension which to me alone is worth it. I love being able to adjust the rear pre load with no tools, so when I load up for a trip I add a few clicks to handle the added weight of baggage or a passenger.

My last bike I bought a standard and kicked myself later for not getting the deluxe.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Noles said:

That's a very difficult question that has been debated many times on the forum.  Usually it comes down to how much value (if any) you place on ABS.   There are some folks who think if you need ABS you are a pansy.  Other folks say you would have to be a neanderthal to buy a bike in 2017 that is not equipped with ABS.   And then you have the majority of folks like myself that fall somewhere in between on that spectrum although I do lean more in the "spend the extra money on ABS" direction.  It's not that simple of course because the deluxe also has a few other goodies - center stand being my favorite but it can be added separately.

One interesting tidbit that you may or may not be aware of, and this only applies in the USA of course since we're the only country that has the "base versus deluxe conundrum", is that the MSRP for the deluxe model was originally only $1K higher than the base model.  At some point in the last year Honda cut the MSRP on ALL the Interceptors and in the process the gap between base and deluxe increased to $2K.  Given all the other goodies besides ABS that come with the deluxe it was a much easier decision to shell out the extra $1K to get the deluxe back when it was only a $1K difference.   Now that it's a $2K MSRP difference, it makes it a much more difficult decision IMO.  Of course, all the bikes in the USA are 2 to 3 year old '14/'15 leftovers at this point, so MSRP is not really much of a factor anymore.

With that said, ABS saved my @$$ just a week ago in a rain storm from what I'm guessing would have been roughly a $10,000 accident plus whatever injuries may have been inflicted on the folks in a small car I almost hit.  Although I was driving my SUV at the time it made me very happy to know I also have ABS on my VFR.   If I were you I'd just take the deluxe at your local dealer for a test ride and if you really like it - go for it and don't look back! :wink:

5 hours ago, rckrzy1 said:

The problem is you can't add ABS/TC after the fact. Center stand yes. I'm starting to like the self cancelling signals as well, still have to get used to the fact they will stop on their own.  And it comes with better suspension which to me alone is worth it. I love being able to adjust the rear pre load with no tools, so when I load up for a trip I add a few clicks to handle the added weight of baggage or a passenger.

My last bike I bought a standard and kicked myself later for not getting the deluxe.

Thanks for bringing this up.  i didnt even know about the suspension adjustment.  A salesman downplayed the ABS on the phone today.  Has that been a good feature in your experience?

4 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

That's a very difficult question that has been debated many times on the forum.  Usually it comes down to how much value (if any) you place on ABS.   There are some folks who think if you need ABS you are a pansy.  Other folks say you would have to be a neanderthal to buy a bike in 2017 that is not equipped with ABS.   And then you have the majority of folks like myself that fall somewhere in between on that spectrum although I do lean more in the "spend the extra money on ABS" direction.  It's not that simple of course because the deluxe also has a few other goodies - center stand being my favorite but it can be added separately.

One interesting tidbit that you may or may not be aware of, and this only applies in the USA of course since we're the only country that has the "base versus deluxe conundrum", is that the MSRP for the deluxe model was originally only $1K higher than the base model.  At some point in the last year Honda cut the MSRP on ALL the Interceptors and in the process the gap between base and deluxe increased to $2K.  Given all the other goodies besides ABS that come with the deluxe it was a much easier decision to shell out the extra $1K to get the deluxe back when it was only a $1K difference.   Now that it's a $2K MSRP difference, it makes it a much more difficult decision IMO.  Of course, all the bikes in the USA are 2 to 3 year old '14/'15 leftovers at this point, so MSRP is not really much of a factor anymore.

With that said, ABS saved my @$$ just a week ago in a rain storm from what I'm guessing would have been roughly a $10,000 accident plus whatever injuries may have been inflicted on the folks in a small car I almost hit.  Although I was driving my SUV at the time it made me very happy to know I also have ABS on my VFR.   If I were you I'd just take the deluxe at your local dealer for a test ride and if you really like it - go for it and don't look back! :wink:

Wow thank you so much for the time you put into your response.  You bring up some great points to consider.  

From my research ABS is a personal choice. Me, coming from all 1970s Honda's ABS wasn't needed.Dont get me wrong, I would have purchased the deluxe but all the dealers are sold out of them.  I've also talked to my friends who have been riding longer then I've been alive and most have the same thought in regard to ABS. "WHEN learning how to ride they teach you to dump the bike if a collision is inevitable. You can't dump it with ABS as easily if no ABS. The wheel wont lock up which has its positives amd negatives." I tried talking them into throwing in the center stand but they wouldn't since I got it for 7600 out the door. Until I added the warranty. I have done just under 500 miles my first week and I can say the suspension is rougher then my '99 VFR. Although my suspension on the '99 had every bell and whistle imaginable. If you are considering a VFR still, there is a dealership in Oak Creek, WI with them in stock but only base models. Lastly from the readings on the forum traction control isn't anything special. And some people have issues with it, more of an annoyance.  

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, Noles said:

A salesman downplayed the ABS on the phone today.  Has that been a good feature in your experience?

Do as you wish but salesmen get paid to move the product.  If he doesn't have an ABS model to move, he's gonna downplay the importance of ABS.

ABS is the reason I bought this bike.

If I wanted a simple machine I'd have bought an old H-D pan head.

I have always bought my bikes new but a couple years old. (Crate sales)  Does the milage (with no service records) concern anyone when they go to purchase a bike?  The salesman on the one i posted didn't have any with the bike.

Also does the base model not have a suspension adjustment?

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2017 at 10:45 PM, Noles said:

I have always bought my bikes new but a couple years old. (Crate sales)  Does the milage (with no service records) concern anyone when they go to purchase a bike?  The salesman on the one i posted didn't have any with the bike.

Also does the base model not have a suspension adjustment?

Get the VIN and see if a Honda dealer's service department can give you any info.  I bought a used Ninja 300 a few years ago and the service department at the dealer was able to give me basic info like when the initial service was performed and the fact that a recall had been performed which gave me a bit of assurance that the previous owner took decent care of the bike.  Maybe a Honda dealer can give you the same sort of reassuring info?

The base model's front suspension is not adjustable.

The base model's rear suspension is adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.

The deluxe model's front suspension is adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.

The deluxe model's rear suspension is adjustable for spring preload (with an easily accessible knob) and rebound damping.

Edit:  Turns out you CAN adjust the rebound damping on the base model's rear suspension - sorry for my confusion :tongue:

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Noles said:

Thanks Gator.

You're welcome.  A Gator helping a 'Nole - imagine that - maybe there is still hope for world peace?  Actually, I'm only helping you cuz one of my older brothers went to FSU - so I root for them as long as they're not playing the Gators :tongue:

57d892d42e57909132016235916.jpg

11 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

You're welcome.  A Gator helping a 'Nole - imagine that - maybe there is still hope for world peace?  Actually, I'm only helping you cuz one of my older brothers went to FSU - so I root for them as long as they're not playing the Gators :tongue:

57d892d42e57909132016235916.jpg

Lol  I appreciate it.   I have close friends that are Gators too.  

On 6/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, GatorGreg said:

Get the VIN and see if a Honda dealer's service department can give you any info.  I bought a used Ninja 300 a few years ago and the service department at the dealer was able to give me basic info like when the initial service was performed and the fact that a recall had been performed which gave me a bit of assurance that the previous owner took decent care of the bike.  Maybe a Honda dealer can give you the same sort of reassuring info?

The base model's rear suspension is adjustable only for spring preload, but requires a tool.

The deluxe model's front suspension is adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.

The deluxe model's rear suspension is adjustable for spring preload (with an easily accessible knob) and rebound damping.  

What would one need to have the same front end on a deluxe coming from a base model? 

• Member Contributer

It would not be cost effective to try and upgrade the Base model suspension so you have the same capabilities of the DLX model

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/5501be7b87a865115450cf5e/front-fork

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon/53a85960f870020ba8ccf6b4/front-fork

Your other option would be to take them to a suspension guy and get them set up for you.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:47 PM, Noles said:

Thanks for bringing this up.  i didnt even know about the suspension adjustment.  A salesman downplayed the ABS on the phone today.  Has that been a good feature in your experience?

SO far I have only engaged the rear ABS, not the front. And it comes into play while downshifting for me alot, I will feel the rear brake pedal pulse and hence have not skidded the rear tire yet, pretty cool. The front will be the most needed but so far I have not rode in the rain or on slick roads.

Being my first bike with ABS I still operate the front brake like I don't have ABS , very hard to grab alot of front brake as my mind tells me that can be bad, had a tank slapper years ago because of an emergency stop. But will be hitting some un paved roads in CO next month and may have a chance to use it.

To me better suspension is worth atleast $1K , the ABS/TC another $1K , self cancelling signals maybe $100 , center stand installed $200, heated grips installed $400 , so to me the value of the deluxe is $2700 so it was worth it.

• Member Contributer
On 6/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, GatorGreg said:

The base model's rear suspension is adjustable only for spring preload, but requires a tool.

Incorrect on the standard rear shock adjustability.  The damping is adjustable and both require tools.  A screwdriver for the damping and the spanner wrench for the spring.  

The Deluxe vs. Standard argument is an absolute "go nowhere" topic because everyone believes that what they bought is the best model to get and everyone is correct.  This reminds me of the Ford vs. Chevy crap.  Why not just respect the way people decide how to spend THEIR money and move on......  

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, GatorGreg said:

Get the VIN and see if a Honda dealer's service department can give you any info.  I bought a used Ninja 300 a few years ago and the service d

The base model has adjustable damping on the rear.

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Bent said:

Incorrect on the standard rear shock adjustability.  The damping is adjustable and both require tools.  A screwdriver for the damping and the spanner wrench for the spring.  

The Deluxe vs. Standard argument is an absolute "go nowhere" topic because everyone believes that what they bought is the best model to get and everyone is correct.  This reminds me of the Ford vs. Chevy crap.  Why not just respect the way people decide how to spend THEIR money and move on......  

Thanks for the correction - I just edited my previous post to reflect this.

Also, there is no need to get "bent" out of shape over this subject.  Your post implies that I am being disrespectful to someone with regard to how they decide to spend their money.   I don't really see any evidence of that.  In fact, I am showing respect to the OP by attempting to answer his question.  Are you suggesting that we ignore his question?  The folks on this forum are very respectful and civil - this is not the other forum where the slightest disagreement leads to a protracted flame war :tongue:

Archived