Argh

• Member Contributer

My until-now somewhat pristine (if unwashed) 8th Gen got backed into this afternoon by some idiot in an SUV parallel un-parking with a lead foot.

I'm going over the damage and trying to figure out what isn't right.  Which is plenty.  The predictable plastic damage, left side case utterly destroyed, tweaked forks, the gauges are about 3/4" to the right of where they're supposed to be, the mirrors, etc.

Something I'm not sure about is the kickstand, which seems to have a fair amount of play in it.  I was hoping someone else with a VFR that hasn't been dropped could give me a baseline to work with.  When the kickstand is down and the bike is upright, do you have any side-to-side play in the stand when pushing on it?

Thanks in advance...

Was gonna say no, but went to the garage.

Lifting the bike upright, putting my right foot on the right side of the stand and moving my toes left, yes!

I'm surprised but the maybe an inch or more of play that is taken up when I set in back down on the stand.

It's old but it does not seem to be a problem.

If leaning over too much check the Harley bolts that hold the stand on.

Mine has been dropped low and no speed, but not punted off the stand by a stupid ugly vehicle.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, windyrun said:

Sorry to hear another one of your vfr's has suffered a blow. Hope it works out well.

Thanks.  This really sucks.

I'm thinking this one was intentional.  The SUV was in a huge space, several feet to spare front and back, shouldn't even have had to use reverse really.

Gonna go over security camera footage on Monday.

• Member Contributer

Sad to hear, bloody heartbreaking stuff. Sure hope any security footage can help your case. Hope insurance sees this through ASAP.

Measured the side stand play (bike on Center Stand, side stand down). It's 10mm at the tip of the foot when pushed inwards towards the bike, hope that makes sense.

BEST OF LUCK.

• Member Contributer

Thanks all for the feedback about the sidestand.  It's one less thing to worry about.  But so far I'm looking at tweaked forks, a smashed side case, a bunch of mid and upper plastic broken/scraped (even some small but deep front fender gouges), mirror covers and a mirror stalk, the stay that holds the gauges and plastics up front, etc. Plus the bike is my primary transport so I'm probably screwed for two weeks.

Anyway, security camera footage for the win.  This happened in front of a rehab place where my mother is staying so I paid a visit to the administration office and they were very helpful and they have excellent cameras.  But it was heart-crushing to see this woman bullshitting with some employees by the front entrance, then walk right between the bike and the back of her SUV, get into the SUV, back up a good five or so feet into the bike, then realize what she did, then get two of her co-workers (all rehab employees) help her pick up the bike but nobody wanted to leave a note about what happened or say anything.

But at least now the guilty party has been identified.  So my dinner break from work tonight will be spent at the 19th Precinct amending the police report.  Then I can give the insurance company the good news.  And perhaps next Sunday I can do some of my own footwork and get info on the vehicle, just for laffs.

• Member Contributer

That's incredible - so the employees of the place you were visiting conspired to hide what happened?  If they worked for me I would fire all 3 of them.

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

That's incredible - so the employees of the place you were visiting conspired to hide what happened?  If they worked for me I would fire all 3 of them.

I'm a little conflicted.  I don't necessarily equate turning an apathetic blind eye to conspiracy.  But, it's not like any of the rehab staff were forthcoming.

I will be letting the police handle this, primarily.  The hit/run is a misdemeanor (if it's her first) with a $500-$1000 fine plus the threat of incarceration.

But I will also be writing a letter to the place, suggesting that some of their personnel appear to fall short of the moral standards that should be expected of them.  And while the perp was obviously done for the day and on public property, if any of her helpers were still on the clock then the argument could be made to drag the rehab place into the picture legally.

The administrator showing me the video said, when watching this and seeing the helpers, "well, that's disappointing."

Yeah, it certainly is.

• Member Contributer

The video should make the insurance company want to play nice and cover all the damage. If not the facility may need to chime in on the settlement since their employees seem to have been on duty. Big question, do you have a copy of the footage? If not hop on over there with a USB and get it. You'd be amazed how quickly it can be "accidentally overwritten" when someone there points out that the footage is self incriminating. 

P.S. Note where I am from.

Judging by the amount of damage you described (and based off repair & parts costs in Aus), surely the bike would be an economic write-off by your insurance company? Do you have market-value or replacement insurance? If it were me and I had CCT evidence, I'd be pursuing all costs from the perp. on the basis of negligence and leaving the scene.

• Member Contributer

Gonna have to go back to the rehab place and insist on getting face to face with the perp and try to get her insurance paperwork.  If not I'll do my own detective work, then sue.

The NYPD has restored my complete lack of faith in this city's law enforcement.  To Swerve and Deflect.  I wasted bus fare two ways and blew my meal break to be told - after first calling and being told I could come any time and have the report amended - that (a) only the person who filed the initial report could amend it and (b) they won't do anything because "it's only property" and because they didn't personally witness it.  Never mind that we can get them all this woman's info and her face clearly recorded.  Never mind that it's clear she knew what she did.

I think I have this whole job and taxes thing all wrong.  If police are really that cruelly neutered then a life of crime is clearly a win.

4 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Anyway, security camera footage for the win.  This happened in front of a rehab place where my mother is staying so I paid a visit to the administration office and they were very helpful and they have excellent cameras.  But it was heart-crushing to see this woman bullshitting with some employees by the front entrance, then walk right between the bike and the back of her SUV, get into the SUV, back up a good five or so feet into the bike, then realize what she did, then get two of her co-workers (all rehab employees) help her pick up the bike but nobody wanted to leave a note about what happened or say anything.

OK, this is where you get a new bike from them, better than the one they effing killed!

This is where you threaten them with hell fire from your team of lawyers!

They hit and run, that is(?) a felony! Or some kind of crime, not just disappointing.

Wait, just some property the fuzz say? I am pizzed on your behalf!

So, if somebody tipped an SUV on it's side while it was parked, just some property? :mad:

• Member Contributer

Back to the technical stuff and sanity checks for a moment...

I notice now that if I turn the bars to full hard left lock, I have a hard time turning the ignition key from OFF to LOCK.

It locks OK if I let the bars just a bit from hard lock.

This kind of stuff really burns me, how someone could knowingly damage someone else's property and pretend it didn't happen if they think they can get away with it, needs to be punished. Since the police are little help - big surprise there - I'd load up on an attorney and bury that woman. In addition, I'd bring a civil suit against the people with her that chose to cover up the destruction as though it didn't happen. 

Get a copy of that video footage or you'll have nothing.

And if you "know a guy that knows a guy" you could seek resolution that way as well. I certainly wouldn't blame you if you did.

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, LucaBrasi said:

This kind of stuff really burns me, how someone could knowingly damage someone else's property and pretend it didn't happen if they think they can get away with it, needs to be punished. Since the police are little help - big surprise there - I'd load up on an attorney and bury that woman. In addition, I'd bring a civil suit against the people with her that chose to cover up the destruction as though it didn't happen. 

Get a copy of that video footage or you'll have nothing.

And if you "know a guy that knows a guy" you could seek resolution that way as well. I certainly wouldn't blame you if you did.

Normally you would just call on Luca Brasi! :goofy:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I hate to start yet another thread topic for another of my sanity checks but here's a pic of an left upper that I removed after an incident over a year ago where again, an idiot backed into my bike.  I think there's (what looks like) a broken tab but I don't quite feel like tearing my bike apart right now to compare against a known good part and the fiches aren't clear.  Is that a broken tab or is that how it's supposed to look?

IMG_3120-2.jpg

Sucks every which way, hope they accidentally didn't delete your footage---- name of administrator that watched the video with you?
Good luck
My worst nightmare at my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, smoke4ndmears said:

Having a hard time visualizing which fairing that is. 

The [side] upper - in this case left - is the piece with the chrome-like Interceptor logo (or VFR if you're in some places outside the US of A) stuck on it.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, duccmann said:

Sucks every which way, hope they accidentally didn't delete your footage---- name of administrator that watched the video with you?
Good luck
My worst nightmare at my work.

Footage doesn't matter much at this point except for novelty and to further feed my seething rage...

The NYPD, which works harder every day to convince me that they are next to useless when you want them and criminally corrupt when you don't, has zero interest in ticketing or otherwise pursuing the dumb bunny who recklessly smashed into my bike and left.  Never mind that what she did was illegal and could be fined up to $1000.  I wasted a dinner break from work and missed an opportunity to spend time with my ailing mother to find this out the hard way at the precinct, thanks for nothing.

I gave the contact info for the rehab admin to my insurance company.  That along with copies of the dumb bunny's license, registration and insurance card.  My insurance company, whether they saw the footage or not, obviously felt whatever information I provided was compelling enough that they're chasing the dumb bunny's insurance company for the full amount.

The repair shop took whatever my insurance company gave them, so when the deductible comes "back" to me it will essentially offset all the money I had to blow on taxicabs, buses, time lost going to pick up and drop off the NX-650 that a friend was so generous and trusting as to lend to me, time dealing with the repair, etc.

The second most aggravating part of this - the first most aggravating being the pathetic uselessness of our police - is that the woman never even really needed to back up at all.  The space she was in was immense.  She had this little Honda Pilot and I could have put a panel truck in there, easily.

Archived