Auxiliary Lighting

• Member Contributer

Okay you 3rd and 4th Gen owners out there....who has added LED auxiliary forward lighting or even an additional tail/brake LED?

I am thinking that hopefully adding LED lighting would help driver's see me a bit better....this may just be a dream/wish......

I would like to see details on how/where mounted, what lights work, what ones do not.  Pictures of course are worth 1000 words.

See ya....(pun intended)

I put a Whelen Tir3 under my plate as an extra brake light, love it. Bought it at my local cop shop called GT distributors. Super bright dead on, off angles it is still quite visible but not blinding. I have it angled so at stop lights it gets blinding about 40 feet from my rear. Was about 50 bucks i think, and is stamped SAE approved so police shouldn't be able to hassle me about it. I just tapped right into the brake light wiring in the tail under the seat. We don't need registration stickers anymore so i put the light on the little plate that used to hold that.

AyMDw0B.gif

Red bike with red tails is sort of tough to make out if it is just marker lights or the brake lights at a glance for inattentive drivers, this LED light makes it super easy to tell. I watch my mirrors at lights and tap the brakes a few times until i have a car right behind me at a stop to protect me from a nasty rear ender.

lpXpYI9.jpg

KVh2RmS.jpg

• Member Contributer

atx: hey nice!....my VFR is also red and I have been trying to change the tail/brake light to an LED that will flash for the brake for a short time and then go steady.  But I was trying to change-out the bulbs and was just not finding anything.  I did find red LEDs that replaced the bulbs, but were not as bright as the old bulbs...so did not use them.

I like your idea and think I will add something similar.....thanks.

Any others????

• Member Contributer

Sorry I have a six gen.  But I just put in these led Philips 7443 bulbs and they work great.  I also ordered some led white driving, amber turn signal switch back bulbs as well.  still waiting on those.  If you go onto the amazon website, It will ask you for you bike info and it will check if the fit is right for your bike. 

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-7443-Intense-Vision-light/dp/B00P2D3W0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496756830&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+led+brake+light

• Member Contributer

So Dutchy how are these lights attached?  Are they just stuck to the plastic with two-sided tape?  Are they just white or do they turn yellow for turn signals?

• Member Contributer

Drilled a hole underneath/in the panel/section that holds the indicator lens so I could bolt the little bracket. (M5 or so)

They were plain white,  I put in the highest lumen indicator bulbs I could find.

Bike is gone so cant take new pictures.

I added a set of brake/turn lights to the rear of my bike.  I ride home from work at around midnight, 4 days a week and I wanted a little more light in the rear so people would see me better.  I got them from  http://www.hyperlites.com/    They even had a mounting bracket that I used.  It came with all the instructions on how to wire it up.  Super simple and relatively fast.  

IMG_1135a.JPG

I switched everything out for Thurn Motorsports clear lens units. It's all plug and play. LEDs never seem to be that great during the day, even my brothers Rizoma turn signals seem dim during the day. Thurn Motorsports sells the brake light and rear turn signals with built in LED boards. The front turn signals take an 1157 or 1156 bulb depending on where your bike was originally shipped to. If it is an 1157(nubs on the side are offset) then you can get switchback LED bulbs. They go from white to yellow when you turn on that turn signal.

I will post a couple pictures and possibly a video later.

• Member Contributer

afpierce489: I checked-out those Hyper Lites....look good...a bit pricey...but good.  I am thinking of just getting the flashing brake lite, but I have a high mounted exhaust and looks like it will interfere....will need to look closer.

coupedupsibie: I was going to order the Thurn clean lens set, front and rear but stopped just before actually ordering due to the cost....just did not seem worth it.

So appears there are a couple of good choices for the rear....but adding front running lites is not so easy.

The search continues................... 

20170513_175135.thumb.jpg.5d55e5a517cb8d11d77bcbf079331a0b.jpgAnything worthwhile will be expensive. Before I got the Thurn taillight I had a small oval brake/plate light to pass inspection, it wasn't much brighter than the stock taillight. The Thurn taillight has a built in plate light. I was able to clean up a previous owners back job.

If you use Facebook here is a video in the VFR750 RC36 group.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/600796026651357?view=permalink&id=1200452833352337

The front turn signals are very bright when just white. They act as a bit of a flood light filling in the area behind the headlights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I purchased two cheap license plate bolts/LEDs; have a red LED that faces out and a white LED that shines at 90°...made to illuminate the license plate.  They were only about $8 USD and are actually quite bright.  Unfortunately they have a single wire so that both LEDs are lite at the same time.  I was hoping to use the red LED as an additional brake light. Guess I could have them both come on with the brake lite.....hhmmmm...... 

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

A few years back I added auxiliary lighting to my 97.

The fog lights aren't LED and they're not for the fog, They are there for the Moose around here. They are angled slightly out and slightly up to catch anything coming out of the woods.

The added rear brake lights are for the fog, so I don't get rear ended by some out of stater. The top is LED, the sides regular bulbs.

The added turn signals are LED. I added them because apparently a 500lb, 6 foot long red object is invisible to some people :+)

The brakes and turn signals were spliced into the harness, the fog lights are a separate switch on my left handlebar.

post-19876-0-07490400-1404654732.jpg

post-19876-0-18147800-1404654312.jpg

post-19876-0-34030900-1404654838.jpg

post-19876-0-04318900-1404651760.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I sure like those fog lamps on the front, I am going to look for something similar. 

Those brake lites by hyperlites are quite attention getting.

Archived