Clutch master cylinder question

• Member Contributer

I recently rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and refilled and bled it.

Ok the test ride I noticed that even with the lever pulled on all the way, the clutch still grabs a little bit. It's hard to get into neutral and you can feel the bike trying to move forward ever so slightly.

I figure I may still have a little bit of air in the line or the master cylinder?

Any tip for getting the rest of the air out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I rebuilt both the clutch slave and master recently and had the same problem building pressure when bleeding. After much pumping at the master I found that by using a large syringe I was able to force fluid from the slave bleeder up into the master. I lot of air bubbles began to rise out of the master's fluid so obviously there was still air trapped in the line. Once that stopped I pumped at the master and quickly pressure built up and I then bled as usual and wrapped up the job. Forcing the fluid up did the trick.

• Member Contributer

Air gets trapped at the master banjo, specially if the banjo bolt orifice is facing down. 

I found the easiest way to get rid of it was removing the master with lid on from the handlebars and placing it with banjo pointing down while I shake/tap the lever. 

Worked every time, brake master as well. 

• Member Contributer

I removed the rear caliper on my VFR1100ST just last night, first using  vacuum bleeder to remove all the fluid so I made less mess when I broke the line. I can vouch for an airlock in the master as being a real problem when you refill the system, and even with about 6" of fall from the reservoir to the master, I still had air in there until I put my vacuum bleeder back on and sucked fluid through to the caliper. 

• Member Contributer

Ok, nobody else queried the obvious so I will: did you replace the sealing washers on the banjo bolts? If not do so and retry bleeding.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll have to try to remove the whole assembly and tap it with the banjo pointing down because I think I still have a small air bubble somewhere. I did not remove the banjo bolt when rebuilding - I did it on the bike and just drained the fluid and replaced the plunger, spring, seals, etc from the lever side. I don't have new crush washers for the banjo which is exactly why I didn't want to remove it. :)

Thanks a lot for all the help!

• Member Contributer

Add a speedbleeder to the slave cylinder - it will make it waaaay easier. I dont even bother anymore to try to bleed a clutch without one. (Screw that!) 

Archived