Ready for the Road

So, my wife and I were supposed to go to Cedar Point for three days next week (Monday through Wednesday) but we found out she is expecting (a while ago) and that means roller coasters and amusement rides are out.

Before she hits that uncomfortable stage, we decided that instead we were going to go on a small-ish tour for 5-7 days (we're allowed some flexibility here).

We will be leaving Windsor on Monday, and then riding around the bay, up to Sarnia, from there we will be riding along the lake to Owen Sound, and up Bruce Peninsula, at the northern tip, we will be taking the ferry over to Manitoulin Island, riding north, and crossing the oldest working swing bridge in the world, further north than east to Sudbury to visit some old friends, then east again to North Bay, then south to Huntsville, again for a reconnection.  After that, we will be heading to Vaughan to stop by at my sister-in-law's and then Niagara Falls, after that, we will be traveling along Lake Erie on our return trip home.

Fortunately, I had a bunch of lieu time at work, so took two days off, which finally gave me time to do things I've been meaning to do for a while.  Bled the cooling system, added my USB Power, which will complement my clutch reservoir RAM mount that should be arriving tomorrow along with my phone mount, killed my battery in the process (after several starts, I very intelligently left the key in the ignition and left it on), I freaked out because I thought it had something to do with the USB charger I had installed, jumped the bike and ran around town to charge the battery.

Good news is, the bike seems to run at about 85C now instead of nearly 100-110, and I'm not afraid to idle.  I also heard the fans for the first time since getting the bike.

Need to top up my brake fluid next.  But that is a job for tomorrow.

20170601_214107.jpg

20170601_214051.jpg

Ha ha. Well top luggage will have 2 pair pants each and 3 tshirts each and one sweater. Sleeping bag for each tent in the rear. One side luggage will have a backpack with our walking necessities, my slr my 50mm lens my 105mm macro lens and maybe my 18-55mm zoom, laptop, portable hdd (I will be recording some sections and time lapsing others). If there ends up being room though the sleeping bags may just end up in the side luggage. But it's nice to know we have extra space if need be. Might be easier to tie the backpack down over the top luggage anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Dammit,

So in fixing my heating issue, and thereby getting my fans working for the first time since I've had the bike, I've also discovered that my RR is shot, testing across the battery showed 12.3 volts at 4000RPM, until the fans kicked on then max was 12v even.  As my bike needs are almost immediate, bike is in the shop.  We will confirm if it's the RR or the stator (please be the former) and it should be fixed by Monday if that's the case. We found a new RR from one of his suppliers that he can get overnight shipping on.  Wish me luck.

• Member Contributer

Wishing u luck!!!

As for the 2 sleeping bags; look into "compression bags" to reduce volume and put them in waterproof "roll bag"  (unless the weather forecast is for sold sunshine every day

wp402_1734900.jpg

Ohh I like those.

Well if I can't get the bike back to reliable running condition (like if a connector is burnt to a crisp or the part doesn't come in) by Monday EOD, we will be taking the car.  I mean it's a Focus, so...almost a motorcycle...but as it's what we consider to be our Honeymoon, it's happening, bike or no bike. 

We really do want the bike though.

In the worst case, the sleeping bags will get stuffed in the luggage, with enough force, might even be able to stuff both on one side.  I'd prefer that too as I can't see the road in my mirrors with them tied to the bags.

Packing with my wife is the biggest challenge lol.  For me, two changes of clothes a sweater, some charging equipment and my photography gear lol.

Leave the laptop and hdd at home. Do the computer work on the photographs when you get back. Spend the time on the honeymoon duties!

That stuff equals less room for essentials and more weight than necessary. Plus the vibrations may see you sans laptop and hdd. Two camera lenses should be more than enough.

And there you are blaming the wife! Lol

What else are you taking that she isn't, come on, fess up!

Hold on, did you say one sleeping bag for each tent? Separate tents on your honeymoon?

E-gad!!

Compression sacks are the way to go, well spotted Leon!

Shoes happen to be my pet hate when packing for bike trips. Even just one pair. They take up so much room. Summer solves that with sandals.

• Member Contributer

Travel light!

dennis-hopper-easy-rider-bird.jpg?ssl=1

Just don't get your head blown off by some rednecks!  :goofy:

Leave the laptop and hdd at home. Do the computer work on the photographs when you get back. Spend the time on the honeymoon duties!

That stuff equals less room for essentials and more weight than necessary. Plus the vibrations may see you sans laptop and hdd. Two camera lenses should be more than enough.

And there you are blaming the wife! Lol

What else are you taking that she isn't, come on, fess up!

Hold on, did you say one sleeping bag for each tent? Separate tents on your honeymoon?

E-gad!!

Compression sacks are the way to go, well spotted Leon!

Shoes happen to be my pet hate when packing for bike trips. Even just one pair. They take up so much room. Summer solves that with sandals.

No definitely not separate tents. Much honeymoon duties. Bags will be zipped together.

I will be taking a combination of video and photos. If only photos my two SD cards would be plenty, even shooting RAW. Video unfortunately fills up the space quickly and needs to be offloaded. Laptop will be under the clothes and spends a lot of time on the bike as it is (commuting).

Waterproof roll bags can be had on eBay for very little money. I bought a load for some military training a number of years ago, and even though I carried my bergen through a river, all the contents were nice and dry :smile: 

• Member Contributer

IMHO,

honeymoon memories are best stored in your head.

Superior read access for when things are not so rosey (yep them times will come sometimes as well :-) )and you want to say something you will regret....

Our honeymoon pictures are still awaiting to be put in an album for 18 years :-)

IMHO,
honeymoon memories are best stored in your head.
Superior read access for when things are not so rosey (yep them times will come sometimes as well :-) )and you want to say something you will regret....

Our honeymoon pictures are still awaiting to be put in an album for 18 years :-)

Wife is Asian. Even thinking of not getting pictures would get me in some hot water lol.

Archived