A new VFRed frenchman !

Coatzin

Hi everyone!!

I have roamed this forum for quite some time now (before and after my wonderful purchase) and finally decided to create an account.

So, let's go :

I'm Baptiste, from France, and the proud owner of a 2008 red VFR800 (ABS version) for 2 months now :cheerleader: after owning a 2004 (carb) blue CBF600S for 4-5 years.

I had a chance (and some money) to buy a nearly new (20 000 km ~= 14 000 Miles ?) VFR800 and in awesome state. It didn't need maintenance and was all stock. So I quickly sold my "old" CBF and bled my bank account!

Since it is my only mean of transportation, as I'm a poor student :blush:, I haded a few thousands miles to it since then and I don't regret my choice. This bike is amazing!!

For now I just added Givi V35 cases and changed the air filter for a K&N.

Now, as I start knowing the bike a bit more, coming from the ultra-smooth CBF600 I am realizing that the relative abrupt response when maneuvering or cruising at low speed bugs me. There are A LOT of threads (some from 15 years ago) discussing this problem for all generations of VFRs and A LOT of possible mods PAIR, flapper, O2s, ....

But, to me, it seems that everyone as his own idea about it and some solutions seem to work on some generations but not others...

After browsing VFRD (and other forums) I am still confused about what I should do (and how). :wacko:

The only general consensus seems to be the installation of a PC (IIIusb or V) but that isn't the cheapest mod ....

For info, while changing my air filter, I took off the snorkel and really liked the "gruntier" sound of the air intake. However, as this is my commuting bike, I feared water would come in the airbox so I put it back.

In short, I'm looking for someone kind enough to enlighten me (or link a thread) on airbox/injection modifications. :happy:

PS : I am not a "performance hungry guy", I don't mind if I have to lose a couple ponies to smoothen the throttle response or have an even better sounding bike. Also, my knowledge in mechanics and tools are limited...

PPS : Do not hesitate to tell it if I should only post a presentation here and move my questions in an appropriate sub-forum.

PPPS :tongue: : As said before, I come from France, a nation well known for our BAD standards in foreign language teaching. I would be happy if you helped me improve my level :-)

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! Nice of you to join the fray. I'm sure you're aware of the useful information here but we do look forward to your contributions as well.

Thanks !

And don't worry, the community seems active and welcoming so I don't see any reason not to be part of it!

I wouldn't sign up if I didn't want to participate :wink:

Welcome from the other side! Will be on the French side of the channel in a couple of weeks (riding over to Annecy) so will wave if I see you!

• Member Contributer

You say you roamed the forum but fail to post a picture of your bike???

Zut alors!!!!

:-)

Bienvenue!

1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

You say you roamed the forum but fail to post a picture of your bike???

Zut alors!!!!

:-)

Bienvenue!

Merci !!

Sorry the only pictures I have right now are taken from a phone in my dark garage...

I will take some as soon as I can and post them :wink:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum. We must have pictures. Bike rider and some cool French background will do. I never had a problem with water getting in through with out the snorkel on my 98 VFR. My new 99 VFR has the snorkel in and a PC5. Power is so smooth. Good luck with your new ride.

I'm kinda busy these days so pics will come when I have some frre time to find a great background (maybe I'll add a baguette to it :goofy:).

I ride with the snorkel removed and the flapper disconnected for more than a week now.

Love the air intake sound but don't feel any difference in the bike's smoothness....

I might as well remove the flapper entirely.

Other than that, I'll probably try the marble trick to block the pair valve and short-circuit the O2 sensors via some 330Ohm resistors.

This again, when I'll find some time. Which probably won't happen in the next two weeks... :wacko:

Plus, I'm currently looking for a nice and cheap rear shock (and someone to help me adjust my suspensions) and a set of new tires (probably PR4 or RS3)....

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Coatzin said:

(maybe I'll add a baguette to it :goofy:).

T'oublie pas le marcel, le béret basque, le litron de gros qui tache et le calendos, hein ! :tongue:

1 hour ago, Coatzin said:

Plus, I'm currently looking for a nice and cheap rear shock (and someone to help me adjust my suspensions) and a set of new tires (probably PR4 or RS3)....

There is a pinned thread on shocks for the 6th Gen in the suspension section. 

If you're looking for a low cost option without frills but (much) better performance than OEM, have a look here: http://www.shock-factory.fr/

Et bienvenue dans la maison de fous. :laugh:

IMG_20170611_175839.thumb.jpg.ce352a228688a2caa40f8e301fa14a1b.jpg

Here you go :wink:

I could find some time for some twisties and found this not-so-bad spot for a picture.

On 09/06/2017 at 11:54 AM, RC36Rider said:

If you're looking for a low cost option without frills but (much) better performance than OEM, have a look here: http://www.shock-factory.fr/

Thx for the tip, I checked their website and some forums for more info and it seems they still provide quality products while being among the cheapest manufacturer, plus everyone said that their customer service is awesome.

I'll probably buy my shock from them.

Archived