I am back! With UFO 99 VFR800

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Turns out airbox is stock with heat wrap. Even has snorkel in place. Ak-20 Axxion cartridges in forks. Penski is 8987 and steering damper is not yet identified. Wverything is ultra plush right now. I need to set up suspension more to my liking.

20170531_121911.jpg

20170531_121820.jpg

What is that seat? I've never seen one like that before?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
43 minutes ago, Woodie said:

What is that seat? I've never seen one like that before?

Russell seat. All i know is it really coddles the bum. More than seargent or corbin. Iron butt mod.

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

Russell seat. All i know is it really coddles the bum. More than seargent or corbin. Iron butt mod.

Looks comfy, Cheers.

• Member Contributer

It's funny that it has modifications that suit performance/handling, but has bars that are higher and further back, and a seat that looks like an old mans lounge.

Sorry mate, but that seat looks like it belongs in an old peoples home for hemorrhoids sufferers.

It will be interesting to hear what it feels like. the whole bike not the seat.

And that is deffinetly not a 5th gen fork lower.

12 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

It's funny that it has modifications that suit performance/handling, but has bars that are higher and further back, and a seat that looks like an old mans lounge.

Sorry mate, but that seat looks like it belongs in an old peoples home for hemorrhoids sufferers.

It will be interesting to hear what it feels like. the whole bike not the seat.

And that is definitely not a 5th gen fork lower.

My exact thoughts !!

I'm a not a big fan of this seat, nor the handle bars ... but I think my wife would love them ! :happy:

In any case, this bike surely was cherished by its previous owner, nice catch!!

• Member Contributer

Love the Dymags, thats the second 5th gen I have seen them on in a week.  There was one for sale on ebay that had gold Dymags and looked amazing.

Never seen Attack triple clamps on a VFR before, 5th gen or not.  But as someone said in an earlier post, back in the day if you wanted to pay, you could play.

Those Brembos combined with the Dymag wheels have to really improve the handling.

Still not sure about the 70 lbs but it should at least be around 50 with the centerstand removed, wheel swap and de-link.

Looks like it could be a Toby steering damper.  There was a Hyperpro on mine when I bought it, not sure why you would ever need one on a VFR.  But it looks interesting especially the way the PO cut out the fairing.

Now- sell off that Russell seat to someone that needs it here on the forum and put on a Sargent or Saddlemen (custom seat- it deserves it). 

Put the bars back to stock and let er' rip.

Congrats on a great find.

As curious minds like mine work, and add in keeping how a bike with these up grades fare in the market,  if it's not to personal,  what did you have to give for this rare gem?

• Member Contributer

Price included spare parts. Stock clip ons too some will be happy to know. The Russel seat and BMS modified stock seat. Rear stand, honda bike cover and 2 shop manuals. Yes i have a spare for sale now. All together $3500. Owner was motivated. Had a garage full of modern track bikes including a supermoto and a grom. Had it listed for $3900 but said I was the right owner for it.

I will keep the Russell for real life touring but for everyday the stock modified one will be on it. Seriously considering the stock bars and a center stand. Converti bars have a tone of adjustment. Will likely play around with them some but it is a daily driver so don't mind them for now. They and the sponge grips are a little much. 

I had to try that seat out. LMAO. Rode it to work that way and quickly covered it not wanting to be seen with the Goldwing seat on my Interceptor.

OML, you got a super deal of the century, double points.  Way To Go!    Yea well,  I didn't want to say anything about the seat as I don't know you,  but yea I'd hide it too. ;)  Now I read it has a PC5?  was it dialed in on a dyno?  Curious as all get out as there are not many 5th gens with full 2 bros out there.  I'm working it to get a handle on the performance side of  what gains may have been had.  But boy did you score a home run.. Nice,   thanks for letting us know.

• Member Contributer

Dyno tune is in the future for sure. I have no information on that yet. Power is smooth and seamless. Has a rough idle on cold start ups. I will run a few tank fulls of gas through it before i worry too much about it. My biggest concern is the odometer and trip meter are way off. It has a "yellow box" generic speedo healer. Has paperwork saying it is for an RC51. Going to check wire splices and compatibility. I may just delete it and see if it works without it.

• Member Contributer
On 5/31/2017 at 11:12 PM, RVFR said:

Still would like to know how it's 70lbs lighter?  Wheels and header might shave off 15,  center stand gone and de link another 15. If it has a lithium battery, another 3-4,   Ti sub frame?  ;)   it's all good, thats a sweet find,  some folks know how to be in the right place for sure , love that rear wheel  :goofy:

Put the front wheel on a scale (bathroom gently--put a board on it first and use a stand or buddy)--weigh it.  Put rear wheel on said scale, weigh it...add both together and you have the total weight of your bike...

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, zupatun said:

Put the front wheel on a scale (bathroom gently--put a board on it first and use a stand or buddy)--weigh it.  Put rear wheel on said scale, weigh it...add both together and you have the total weight of your bike...

38 minutes ago, soichiro said:

20lbs from exhaust alone. Scales don't work that way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'd say close enough, given the accuracy of typical bathroom scales.  If you really wanted to correct for the angle of the bike, you could make a small wooden platform of the same height as the scale for the wheel not being measured. 

However, given the accuracy of most bathroom scales, I wouldn't say this is really comparable.  In this range, I'd say a truck scale probably isn't that great either.  I'm also curious where the 70 lbs comes from.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I'm also curious where the 70 lbs comes from.

Maybe from a 5 or 6 beer buzz.... :beer:

I had to try that seat out. LMAO. Rode it to work that way and quickly covered it not wanting to be seen with the Goldwing seat on my Interceptor.

"Goldwing" is being nice. I thought that maybe Always had tried their hand at making motorcycle seats. I'll bet it's super nice after hour 6, though.

e63f057f-7fca-4d5b-b150-70e6ab3e4ca6.jpg.w480.jpg

2 hours ago, soichiro said:

Actually truth be known  you'd be more disappointed if you thought that, in reality  there's only 3 lbs diff. in the header swap.  that's comparing the 98-99 header,  way more on the 00-01 due to the cat. I was surprised it wasn't more,  stock 98 header is 11 lbs,  the 2bros is almost 8lbs    That can that's on there will more than make up that difference.  11lbs of de link plumping. One would save some swapping out to a lithium battery.   Biggest items here in weight savings are the wheels.  It's still one hell of a bike for the money.

• Member Contributer

The forks do go great with the build. Terry, I've never run across 919 forks as 43mm upgrades - thanks for pointing that out. How can you tell they are 43mm and not 41mm?

I also realized that the features I thought were layered triple clamps are the bar risers.

Very cool machine, Capn'.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, soichiro said:

I have a degree in physics...scales work EXACTLY that way...the weight of the vehicle (be it 4 tires for an auto or two for a motorcycle or one for a unicycle) is supported at each point of contact with the ground.  Example pickup trucks tend to have more weight on the front wheel, Volkswagon Bugs to the rear wheels. You can put a scale under each tire simultaneously or separately and add the  values up--it is a scalar measurement (pardon the pun).  They WILL equal the total weight of the vehicle.  If the measurements are not equal there is a bias...

If you have learned physics differently...please share how you were taught.

Sincerely,

Matthew Roth

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, sfdownhill said:

The forks do go great with the build. Terry, I've never run across 919 forks as 43mm upgrades - thanks for pointing that out. How can you tell they are 43mm and not 41mm?

I also realized that the features I thought were layered triple clamps are the bar risers.

Very cool machine, Capn'.

That is a total guess on my part, but I know if I was putting custom triples on, I'd get a 43mm fork at the same time due to the significant increase in rigidity. I might be wrong about the origin of these, the brake mounts do look right but the fender mounts are not correct, so who knows. Could be off another bike entirely.

• Member Contributer

I will do the bathroom scale with a 2×6 under the wheel that is not on the scale. Maybe compare on our trucking scale at work later. Setting Sag on the suspension has made a world of difference. Set both to roughly 30mm. 

I am concearned about a racket coming from the front forks. Sound like something has come loose inside. Anyone else with AK-20 forks experience this? Picture of his notes. Sounds like parts left out and bottom fork bolts cut down.  

1496463281770634188817.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't remember doing that stuff. I wish people would understand how forks work before doing a job like that. I need to take the forks apart on Kris' new SV because the PO screwed the spacers. There's an inch of slack in the travel when you back the preload off!

Zupatun, you obviously know a lot more than me. I was always under the impression, each wheel should be weighed at the same time. A scale on each "corner". Interesting, thx.

• Member Contributer

What a find, and at that price! Lots of go fast goodies and "it's red" already the fastest out there

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Archived