Recommended 600 mile break in

Tews19

As a new '14 owner I was told I need to come in at 600 miles to the first oil change and break in check up. I asked what the cost would be and they said for the first check up it will be roughly 180-200$! Is it really worth it to bring it to the dealership or can i change the oil myself and save the $200 cost???

Change the oil and filter yourself. Save receipts for warranty purposes.  The only things that need a "check up" are the chain slack and tire pressures, which you should be doing periodically anyway.

I would also suspect you warm up the bike for a quick 10 minute ride and see what your idle is. Needs to be adjusted when at normal operating temp and running. Usually around 1800RPMs from the factory. Should be 1200RPMs +/- 100 RPMs as per the manual. For further details, consult the manual.

i have always done my own oil changes, but the dealer gave me such a good price on the bike and a pair of KLIM jeans that i felt guilty, so i let them do the first oil change....charity....same price as yours....do it yourself!  lol

• Member Contributer

From the conversation I had with a couple of dealers, the initial 600 mile service is not just an oil change but a complete once over on the bike. This means top up any fluids, inspect the bike for any leaks, loose nuts/bolts, chain slack and to ensure key fasteners are torqued i.e. Head set, swing arm, rear hub eccentric, etc. If they actually do this or not, I can't say but something that maybe you should consider doing if you decide to do your own service.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

From the conversation I had with a couple of dealers, the initial 600 mile service is not just an oil change but a complete once over on the bike. This means top up any fluids, inspect the bike for any leaks, loose nuts/bolts, chain slack and to ensure key fasteners are torqued i.e. Head set, swing arm, rear hub eccentric, etc. If they actually do this or not, I can't say but something that maybe you should consider doing if you decide to do your own service.

Thats my understanding as well.  When I got the receipt for my 600 mile service I asked them to have the mechanic jot down everything he did/inspected.  If I can figure out where I put it i'll post the details he added.

10 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Thats my understanding as well.  When I got the receipt for my 600 mile service I asked them to have the mechanic jot down everything he did/inspected.  If I can figure out where I put it i'll post the details he added.

Thank you Gator! Mind sharing how much the 600 mile cost you?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Tews19 said:

Thank you Gator! Mind sharing how much the 600 mile cost you?

I can't remember off the top of my head - I'll look for the receipt tomorrow.

My 600 mile would have cost around $200 also.  I would let the dealer take care of it...at least for the first service.  You can do the rest yourself, but I think it's a good idea having them do the first one.

FYI, I bought a 3 year/unlimited mile service contract from my dealer for $1700.  It covers every scheduled service, and includes 1 set of tires and a battery.  I now have almost 19k miles on the bike with about 3 months left on the contract, and it has already paid for itself.  I could do all my own service, but now that I'm a bit older, I just don't want to mess with it anymore.  The only service I have done myself is a chain/sprockets replacement.  The 16k service with valve adjust would have cost $1200 alone.

So I've found that almost any oil change on any bike at any shop is generally going to cost over $100.  One wouldn't expect it to cost more than a car, but for some reason it does.

Same here Driver - 

I intend to let the dealer do the 600 mile maintenance and I'll do my own oil changes going forward. But giving them a chance to do a once-over initially isn't a bad idea. 

I'm nearing 300 miles after my first weekend. My wrist hurt so I ordered the risers. Think if I install before the 600 mile, they would still check that over too?

• Member Contributer

Found my receipt for the 600 mile service - it was $183.23 before fees and taxes but a grand total of $210.96 after tax and hazardous disposal fee.  The $183.23 was comprised of $34.73 for the oil change parts (filter, washer and oil) plus $148.50 for 1.5 hours of labor.  Then they tacked on $14.85 for hazardous material disposal and $12.88 tax to get me for the $210.96.

Here's a pic of what they gave me for the 600 mile service schedule checklist.  There was also a specification list attached to the receipt showing all the torque settings, etc, if anyone's interested in seeing it but I think it was just info from the owner's manual.

IMG_2075.JPG

12 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Found my receipt for the 600 mile service - it was grand total of $210.96 after tax.  It was $183.23 which included $34.73 for the oil change parts (filter, washer and oil) plus $148.50 for 1.5 hours of labor.  Then they tacked on $14.85 for hazardous material disposal and $12.88 tax to get me for $210.96.

That labor was grueling I tells ya. :goofy:

Reminds me of paying a dealer >$100 to replace an inside door handle on my wifes Corolla. When the other side broke a couple years later, I figured out the part was $6 and the labor was 1 or 2 screws, and like 10 minutes. So, the dealer added a third screw. To us.

Back on point, did you have to supply you own vaseline? :unsure:

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

That labor was grueling I tells ya. :goofy:

Reminds me of paying a dealer >$100 to replace an inside door handle on my wifes Corolla. When the other side broke a couple years later, I figured out the part was $6 and the labor was 1 or 2 screws, and like 10 minutes. So, the dealer added a third screw. To us.

Back on point, did you have to supply you own vaseline? :unsure:

My dealer threw in a bottle of astroglide for free - less harmful to rubber  :tongue:

71dCVpjbEuL._AC_UL320_SR220,320_.jpg

• Member Contributer

My goal is to have them throw the first service in with the cost of the bike.. if I can muster the energy to get a 8th gen. 

I'm sure they check the same things that the manual suggests. I didn't bring mine in. I can give the bike a half-hearted once-over myself. Coming up on 13k and it hasn't complained.

3 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I'm sure they check the same things that the manual suggests. I didn't bring mine in. I can give the bike a half-hearted once-over myself. Coming up on 13k and it hasn't complained.

Did you haopen to lower the idle yourself? If so how long dis you warm the bike up? Or did you simply wait for it to be at normal operating temp? 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Tews19 said:

Did you haopen to lower the idle yourself? If so how long dis you warm the bike up? Or did you simply wait for it to be at normal operating temp? 

Hi tews19.

You will find in your owners manual (if it's the same as mine P/No. 32MJM603) that there is no page reference for idle Adjustment in the Maintenance Section??? Also in the Specifications Section at the back, it states "Idle speed 1200rpm non adjustable" all Bull Sh@#.

Warm your engine to normal operation temp (around 78degC, 172degF) and simply turn the Black adjuster knob just forward and above the clutch slave cylinder on the left side of the bike to achieve 1200 rpm + or - 100 rpm.

Interesting to note that in the 2014 VFR800F Set-Up Instructions (pre delivery Bible) there is No mention of correct Idle Speed setting, which probably explains why so many of us ended up having to set it correctly ourselves!

Cheers and enjoy your new set of wheels.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Here's a copy of the spec sheet that was also attached to my receipt for the 600 mile anal raping, er, servicing :tongue:

IMG_2077.JPG

• Member Contributer

I let them do my first oil change and check up.  I believe they did do the "checking and torquing, etc."  That and the center stand was negotiated at no cost as part of the deal.  In their words, "we basically molest your bike making sure everything is torqued and checked out".  I also didn't want to deal with the over-tightened oil filter all Hondas have on them from the factory.   My local deal has actually treated me very well in all depts. and does a decent job in their shop......after some personnel turnover.    

Here's a copy of the spec sheet that was also attached to my receipt for the 600 mile anal raping, er, servicing tongue.png
IMG_2077.thumb.JPG.95bd883cecfcaf7abf6247245be02445.JPG

Why on earth would they need new chain, sprockets and steering head bearings after only 600 miles?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

Why on earth would they need new chain, sprockets and steering head bearings after only 600 miles?

It didn't - that was just some sort of spec sheet that also showed proper idle setting and correct torque for various items they supposedly checked - I assume that's why they attached it to my receipt along with the other paper when I asked them for more details about what they checked.

Archived