large.IMG_20170528_131314759.jpg.2dde0d0c978e135459fa2f7071ff37ea.jpglarge.IMG_20170528_190055795.jpg.70263f88968baf9ceea2d8bd11a0986e.jpglarge.IMG_20170528_190115940.jpg.c59ae911ae2336d29e75a40b7dd55695.jpglarge.IMG_20170528_190120038.jpg.ed06736417d0445c10395e4c930064f3.jpgSo this weekend I was down in Shelton, WA at The Ridge Motorsports track flagging and doing some track time. I rode down that morning (130 miles) with no problems. Also I've had my Reg and the VFRNESS installed for about 3k miles without any issues. The only thing I ever noticed is my lights would get brighter at 9-11k RPM's.

Anyways I was able to ride the track for 20 minutes, about 8 hot laps of pure V4 glory with no issues. Parked for a brief 5-10 minute lunch before I hopped back on the track for about a mile to get back to my post at turn 8. When I got off the bike I noticed a little smoke from the rear wheel area, first I thought maybe hot header? Or some smoke from the tires? It was probably 85+ with real hot pavement. I walked around the other side and saw flames erupting from my f***ing fairings!! Luckily I had a fire extinguisher at my post and blasted away at it to no avail, had to rip off my side fairing and unplug the damn thing. Very sad way to end an awesome day ? 

Holy shit, that's horrible! One good thing is you were marshalling when it happened and had the fire extinguishers. Hopefully the damage is limited to the R/R, plug, plastic and seat. That's all fairly easy to replace. You mentioned you had the R/R and VFRness on for 3000 miles. That looks like the original R/R (like the one that was on my 1990). Curious. Man, that could have been so much worse!

Sorry,

Glenn

13 minutes ago, slovcan said:

Holy shit, that's horrible! One good thing is you were marshalling when it happened and had the fire extinguishers. Hopefully the damage is limited to the R/R, plug, plastic and seat. That's all fairly easy to replace. You mentioned you had the R/R and VFRness on for 3000 miles. That looks like the original R/R (like the one that was on my 1990). Curious. Man, that could have been so much worse!

Sorry,

Glenn

Yeah no shit! Was probably the best place it could have happened, if I was on the side of the road it could have taken my whole bike down with it... Just have some fairing repair to do and the seat is fairly unscathed for what happened, I have a new cover I'm going to throw on it. Ordered a new type reg/rec from wiremybike.com along with a new plug for the VFRNESS. The reg/rec that was on there was an aftermarket "replacement" never again, learned my lesson the hard way. The irony in this is that I had the spare OE reg/rec in my backpack too just in case.... didn't think it would go out like that though.

Thanks guys! Miles

Ohman, so sad to see those pics compared to the ones you posted on May 22!  Glad you're ok.  Scary that the fire extinguisher had little effect!

You should send the aftermarket rr back and order a genuine shindingen rr from roadstercycle.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

You should send the aftermarket rr back and order a genuine shindingen rr from roadstercycle.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Seconded

My dad had this same thing happen on his Maxim x.  I can't believe this happened.  Such a gorgeous bike too.  I MIGHT have some tail pieces for a little bit of nothing and shipping.  PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So sorry to read this Miles.....I am glad that you were able to put it out without the whole harness frying! I bet the track was fun!

Gary

Archived