Pick up day from the dealership

Tews19

Picked up my first ever brand new 0 mileage bike. Shoot first new anything for me. I put on a little over 100 miles and it's a blast. The low end power seems much different from my 5th gen I had. Also the Vtec caught me off guard the first time but I'm getting use to it. Overall the first day and ride have been a complete success. Thanks to those who shared their insight about the 8th gen! 

20170527_134609.jpg

• Member Contributer

How did the low end feel different? I have a 1998 and I'm thinking about buying a new one as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

How did the low end feel different? I have a 1998 and I'm thinking about buying a new one as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Having had a 5th, 6th, and now 8th gen., the low end is much more useable making nearly the entire rpm range more "available and useable".  This is especially good in mountain twisties.  The bike can be ridden at lower rpm's without lugging.  Sometimes it seems the bike doesn't care what gear it's in.  Put a slip on muffler on it and it runs even better at low rpm's.  The stock can greatly restricts the low end somehow.  Put real regular grade gasoline in it and it screams.  The bike is not challenged in any way at high rpms but I find I don't have much reason to use the higher rpm's with the 8th gen.  IMO, the 8th gen., in spite of what seems like a significant detuning, runs better & stronger than either the 5th or 6th gens.  Just a free opinion after 10,000 miles on one who rides the twisties.      

45 minutes ago, Bent said:

Having had a 5th, 6th, and now 8th gen., the low end is much more useable making nearly the entire rpm range more "available and useable".  This is especially good in mountain twisties.  The bike can be ridden at lower rpm's without lugging.  Sometimes it seems the bike doesn't care what gear it's in.  Put a slip on muffler on it and it runs even better at low rpm's.  The stock can greatly restricts the low end somehow.  Put real regular grade gasoline in it and it screams.  The bike is not challenged in any way at high rpms but I find I don't have much reason to use the higher rpm's with the 8th gen.  IMO, the 8th gen., in spite of what seems like a significant detuning, runs better & stronger than either the 5th or 6th gens.  Just a free opinion after 10,000 miles on one who rides the twisties.      

This is spot on.  My 5th gen felt sluggish at times, as Bent stated it would lug around. Overall very Happy! 

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

A nice juicy steal sounds good for some reason right about now. :happy:

Heck, the wife has even approved an 8th gen for me. I'd have to sell my 6th gen, though.

I'll have a few grand to burn in a few weeks... never know what will happen.

26 minutes ago, thtanner said:

Heck, the wife has even approved an 8th gen for me. I'd have to sell my 6th gen, though.

A 5th gen and an 8th gen in the same garage sounds like a good pair!  :)

• Member Contributer
On 5/28/2017 at 10:29 PM, thtanner said:

Tanner, you need to make a move NOW!!! LOL!  

In all seriousness, I debated on even getting my 2014 but when I ride, using real gas especially, it really wants to power down the road and runs very good. Other gens. like real gas too.  VTEC is almost undetectable (I never had a problem with VTEC engagement anyway) and Honda did a good job of making the engine run better at all rpm's.  I've had a 5th gen. it ran good but not as good below 7,000 rpm and no better above that.  I sometimes beat on my VFR in the mountains but it doesn't seem to mind in any way.  It can eat tires the same as the others with the exception that today's tires just last longer (thank goodness).      

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Bent said:

Tanner, you need to make a move NOW!!! LOL!  

In all seriousness, I debated on even getting my 2014 but when I ride, using real gas especially, it really wants to power down the road and runs very good. Other gens. like real gas too.  VTEC is almost undetectable (I never had a problem with VTEC engagement anyway) and Honda did a good job of making the engine run better at all rpm's.  I've had a 5th gen. it ran good but not as good below 7,000 rpm and no better above that.  I sometimes beat on my VFR in the mountains but it doesn't seem to mind in any way.  It can eat tires the same as the others with the exception that today's tires just last longer (thank goodness).      

Expect a classifieds listing for my 02 shortly... ;)

• Member Contributer
On 5/28/2017 at 8:56 PM, Samuelx said:

A 5th gen and an 8th gen in the same garage sounds like a good pair!  :)

I like the way you think.

I really love the improvements they did with the 8th gen. Having owned a 1st 5th gen and ridden an 02  vtech i thought the light kick was nothing short of fun. My guess is the 8th gen is as good as the 800 will get. A true do it all VFR.

Archived