Tire Help

tbzep

• Member Contributer

Time for some tires.  For background, over the years I've run straight Pilot Powers, the venerable PR2/PP combo, and most recently Sportec M5's.  A few years ago, I was riding aggressively enough that I removed the peg feelers and still regularly folded the pegs running Pilot Powers.  These days, I only touch a peg every now and then.  I definitely don't fold them up like I used to.  For what it's worth, of all the combinations, I felt the most confident with the original Pilot Power front and rear.

Right now I can get the Bridgestone T30 Evo / S21 combo for $240.

I can also get the new Dunlop Roadsmart III front and rear for the same price after $60 rebate. 

I basically have three concerns.  Corner grip before tires are fully warmed up, total grip, and ride comfort. 

• Member Contributer

I have run the Bridgestone S20's front and rear and now the S21's on my 97 since I bought it . On my 6th rear and 4th front IIRC. Dual compound front and triple compound rear give great grip in the corners, quick warm up and moderate mileage. Yes mileage may be a concern  on the rears if ridden at a "certain" pace but should be acceptable from what you described as how you ride now. I've never had a concern about feedback or grip as both are the best I've ever experienced in a MC tire. Just my humble 2 cents.

If you do go with the T30 it would be great if you could write up a review after some rides.

• Member Contributer

TB, you didn't describe how you ride or what life you got out of your Michelins in the past.

If the PP have kept you happy and you've backed off on the pace any of your choices will suit.

Corner grip before tires fully warmed up? That's just asking for trouble. 

Since 2000 I've mostly chosen Pilot Sport and then Pilot Power/PP2. My last set were Pilot Road 4, and they got noticeably better life (~25%) without sacrificing performance for me. The extra life is sometimes wasted as it isn't enough for a 2nd long ride. I usually count on ~10,000 km for any of the tires suitable for a VFR, ymmv.

Fwiw, this year I opted for Pilot Power RS, though I won't have a verdict till my upcoming California trip.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Lorne said:

TB, you didn't describe how you ride

Yes, I did.  I said, "A few years ago, I was riding aggressively enough that I removed the peg feelers and still regularly folded the pegs running Pilot Powers.  These days, I only touch a peg every now and then.  I definitely don't fold them up like I used to."  In other words, spirited, but not super aggressive like I used to.  As for asking for trouble, I don't live in the mountains. I can ride 15-20 minutes before getting into curves.  Tires will never fully warm up like Kebrider or any of the guys in the NC/TN mountains without continuous flogging.   Mileage doesn't really translate from one location to another, so I don't even bother asking about that.  When riding with Ken in Ontario, my tires still looked new when I'd have worn them out completely here.   I've never got more than 2400 miles out of any of my rear tires, from Z6's to PR2's.

With new carcass and compound technologies, why not look at something more fresh than the old Pilot Power? 

• Member Contributer

I understood your remark about peg dragging to describe your skill level, not your most common type of ride - commute, local rides in the twisties, or long multi-day trips for example.

The Dunlop Sportmax III seem to get reviews online. The Bridgestone T30 were described as having a stiff carcass - not sure if that was the Evo version. One comparison favoured the Dunlops over Pilot Road 4, both for longevity and also for their handling not suffering as they wore.

Good luck choosing,

• Member Contributer

No one seems to speak of the Metzlers very much. Specifically the Z8 Sport Touring Tire which I've seen in some tests as being rated as the best Sport Touring Tire on the market.

I had them briefly on my 4th gen before a car cut me off and killed the bike. Until that moment I liked them very much.

I have PR3's on my 5th gen and they seem good too.

• Member Contributer

I have run through a few sets of Z8s and rate them very highly, but have moved on to the Roadtec 01 for my VFR. These are better again, very comfy riding and sticky, neutral steering. I've got T30 Evos on my VTR and they are a more sporting tyre, firmer and faster steering, and need a bit more warm up, and don't have the same wet confidence. 

2 hours ago, slowbird said:

No one seems to speak of the Metzlers very much. Specifically the Z8 Sport Touring Tire which I've seen in some tests as being rated as the best Sport Touring Tire on the market.

I had them briefly on my 4th gen before a car cut me off and killed the bike. Until that moment I liked them very much.

I have PR3's on my 5th gen and they seem good too.

52 minutes ago, Terry said:

I have run through a few sets of Z8s and rate them very highly, but have moved on to the Roadtec 01 for my VFR. These are better again, very comfy riding and sticky, neutral steering. I've got T30 Evos on my VTR and they are a more sporting tyre, firmer and faster steering, and need a bit more warm up, and don't have the same wet confidence. 

I am running Z8s right now. I went to them after finding the previous tires were one of the factors in a low speed low side slide. 

My riding style changes based on where and why I am riding. It doesn't matter if I am going down curvy roads alone, getting on and off the highway, or just cruising alongwith my girlfriend on the back. No matter what I have done I know that my tires are going to stick to the road.

• Member Contributer

I really don't have anything to offer other than my experience is that the newer tires out now offer very good grip and much better longevity. I used to occasionally spin the single compound tires coming out of corners but find that doesn't happen any more.  I also don't ride as aggressively, like you, anymore plus, like I said, I think the newer tires grip better.  I decided to quit Bridgestone completely because they ride so hard they beat me up and I'm tired of it.  Their tires do stick and last a long time...for me.  I'm in the same mode of trying new rubber.  

I'm liking the Pilot Road 4's on all 3 bikes. I am not doing track days or really pushing the envelope, other than the irresistible wild bursts of acceleration.

They work great for me. The Apes would eat a rear Power in 2,000 miles max, the Roads are better there, but I don't have a number.

• Member Contributer

I'm liking the Pilot Power front/rear setup. I used to run the PR2 on the back but always had 1/2" to 3/4" unused strips. With the Power rear I am right to the edge. I like the quicker response and stable feel at lean. I am a km away from the start of 50 km of twisties. I'm just a fair weather rider these days, strictly for fun, no commuting.

Bonus, they're cheaper than the latest and greatest. $300 CDN is my bar for a set of tires and the Pilot Powers are about $275 on sale.

• Member Contributer

Are they still making regular Pilot Powers or is everything old stock?  I loved the Powers as far as grip and profile/handling.  I haven't been to impressed on the M5 so I'm going to skip the Z8's for now.  However, I did wear out many Z6's and Stradas back when they were the ST tire of choice.  I guess I'll skip out on the T30 Evo since so many folks say they jar your teeth out! 

Can anyone compare the Roadsmart III's profile with the old Powers?  That will give me an idea of how they turn.  I wouldn't mind hearing how hard they are to mount too.  The M5's were terrible, as were PR2's. The old Pilot Powers almost fell onto the wheels in comparison.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, tbzep said:

Are they still making regular Pilot Powers or is everything old stock?  I loved the Powers as far as grip and profile/handling.  I haven't been to impressed on the M5 so I'm going to skip the Z8's for now.  However, I did wear out many Z6's and Stradas back when they were the ST tire of choice.  I guess I'll skip out on the T30 Evo since so many folks say they jar your teeth out! 

Can anyone compare the Roadsmart III's profile with the old Powers?  That will give me an idea of how they turn.  I wouldn't mind hearing how hard they are to mount too.  The M5's were terrible, as were PR2's. The old Pilot Powers almost fell onto the wheels in comparison.

I assume it's new stock. I never looked at the manufacturing date. But I've been using them for at least 2 years and my friend on a VFR800, longer than that.

Archived