Too much oil pressure? Flawed design?

Does anyone else have problems with K&N oil filters failing right where they weld the bolt on the end? I've had 2 fail so far and left me stranded. Just trying to find out if this a problem with the K&N filter or is something wrong with my bike causing increased oil pressure.

• Member Contributer

That phenomenon has been documented in numerous threads and has happened to multiple riders.  I have a friend with a 5th gen that happened to.  He was lucky he didn't go down.  Many have ended up with oil soaked rear tires.  IMO I would not attribute it to excess pressure - it only seems to happen with those particular filters. 

• Member Contributer

This is a well known issue with those filters. They are banned from many racing orgs as well as my garage as a result. Had a catastrophic failure myself. Fortunately it was in the driveway while putting my gloves on.

• Member Contributer

All I had to do was read the post title and I knew this was about a K&N oil filter! Sorry to say but they are not welcomed around any of my bikes, I think the only bike that had one, once, was my Ducati and although it survived until the next oil change, it didn't get another one as a replacement. I'd say count your blessings that nothing catastrophic happened to you and chalk it up to a learning experience. Sorry you got stranded. Most folks go OEM or with one of the ones from this list.

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference List

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, OliverTwisted said:

Does anyone else have problems with K&N oil filters failing right where they weld the bolt on the end? I've had 2 fail so far and left me stranded. Just trying to find out if this a problem with the K&N filter or is something wrong with my bike causing increased oil pressure.

Just for interest when you fitted it did you tighten the filter with the filter nut? The nut is strictly for removal purposes only. People have had them fail even without tightening the filter with the nut. K&N should remove them from the market, someone could end up killed by this crap product. "Flawed Design" you bet. Your bikes oil pressure will be fine.

Thanks guys I feel much better now. I was afraid something was wrong with the oil pump. No more K&N filters (thought they were supposed to be the good ones lol). I got really lucky because last weekend I made a 6 hour trip and could have gotten stranded hundreds of miles away. It failed 2 days after I got back a mile from my sister's place and she bailed me out, no big deal. Now sporting a seamless Napa gold filter in the mean time. I'll use the ones from duc2's list from now on. Thanks again guys

• Member Contributer

I almost wish all the riders who were affected by the K&N failures would come together and do a class-action suit against K&N. Otherwise I doubt they'll ever fix the problem.

28 minutes ago, Aimbot9000 said:

Our bikes top out at 99 psi oil pressure.......

that seems 2 hi 2 me, and i'd expect close 2 65psi max wth 40wt oil at operating temp at 68F. ambient.

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

that seems 2 hi 2 me, and i'd expect close 2 65psi max wth 40wt oil at operating temp at 68F. ambient.

Service manual states 71psi at 6000rpm 176degF  with oil viscosity 10W-40.

The 99psi is when the oil pressure relieve valve  opens. There was a thread years ago where someone slapped a digital oil pressure gauge on their bike  and it peaked at  99 psi from 8-9k rpm to redline

• Member Contributer

For the cost difference, and the piece of mind, I'll not use anything but the genuine Honda filter.

Archived