Possible short, I need your eyes.

MRChickhabit

Randomly, my motorcycle's gauges and headlights (but not the turn signals) will die.

Afterwards, I check the fuses and the meter/gauges 10 amp fuse has blown.

This has happened 4x now and I've already tried isolating the problem by trying different actions to try to cause it. I can not reproduce problem via the brakes, shifting, brights, turn signals, ignition switch or kickstand.

I've taken a picture of the back of the gauges because I know that the plastic circuit board can sometimes bend and sever connections. I do not see any breaks, but I did see some dirt on top of several rows of circuit lines.

I've since cleaned the dirt and have not had any problems testing in my garage, but I'm not convinced.

Do you see anything of immediate concern?

Do you know of the best safest way to clean the board? I gently used a soft towel.

tmp_19950-20170524_131650383904077.jpg

• Member Contributer

Had exactly that problem on mine and a friends 6th gen. It was to do with the routing of the number plate light wiring after replacing the exhausts, if you don't get the number plate light wiring through the right spot, it will eventually cut through the insulation and short to frame taking out that 10a fuse.

I know this might be different to your bike, but just have a good look at the state of your number plate light wiring.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Grum

3 hours ago, Grum said:

Words

Thank you, I'll check but my exhaust is located in the side, so my clearances for wires and such are much larger I imagine.

Any idea on how to clean those contacts?

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, MRChickhabit said:

Thank you, I'll check but my exhaust is located in the side, so my clearances for wires and such are much larger I imagine.

Any idea on how to clean those contacts?

I'd be spraying some CRC 2-26 Electrical Cleaner or WD-40 on a clean rag and wipe it clean.

I forgot a symptom. 

My speedo isn't registering the miles smoothly like I think it used to, now it is flopping around between numbers while I accelerate/decelerate which is why I first suspected the circuit board.

• Member Contributer

My friend took his pickup to an auto workshop cause of the same issue, diesel, you know how they rattle around...changed the fuse, charged him $150.00 sent him on his way, blew in about ten minutes.
When I got to look at it I just followed the wiring, sure enough cables had worn through close to taillights. Taped it up, no problem. As said by Grum, check your harness....you know how a bike runs and bounces around!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

A few years ago my temp gauge would randomly peg at max, and after a new months my fuel gauge began to do the same.  After much troubleshooting I discovered that a hold-off bracket behind the headlights was bent out and touching the circuit board on the temp and fuel gauge circuits.  I bent the bracket back to where it was supposed to be, and of course no longer in contact with the circuit board, and everything has been great since.  Sounds like you might have a more global problem, such as one of the bundled connectors, but that's my experience.

5 hours ago, Forbes said:

Words

Will do, man I hate electricals. My last adventure was with the vfrness.

4 hours ago, finally said:

More words

Man that sucks, I'll be checking more carefully.

Do you think that the piles of dirt between the circuit could have caused this?

• Member Contributer

Piles of dirt? Not unless it was wet! Dirt is not very conductive.
When you find the issue, how satisfying....it's how all of us have learned and are now able to help.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, I noticed a couple of worn spots on the circuits so my buddy soldered a couple of jumpers and now she works like new. You just have to be very careful not to over heat.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, Grum said:

check the tail

Damn. I did in fact find a stray wire with open ends in the tail section. Must have been the previous owner's work as I haven't touched the back apart from light bulb switching. I tested it by touching a lead to a bolt and sure enough, it killed my gauges again.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just that lucky to have a similarly located problem.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, MRChickhabit said:

Damn. I did in fact find a stray wire with open ends in the tail section. Must have been the previous owner's work as I haven't touched the back apart from light bulb switching. I tested it by touching a lead to a bolt and sure enough, it killed my gauges again.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just that lucky to have a similarly located problem.

Good find. Hope you got the Instrument Panel all assembled. You won't be blowing that fuse again. Glad to help.

Cheers.

Archived