1997 750, Popping/Clicking, Believed to be Chain

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the site, and pretty new to motorcycles overall, so bear with me here.

My 1997 with 36k miles that I've been riding for 4 years has recently been developing a front end clicking sound. It was mild, only occurring during heavy loads and at low speeds, and seemed to be mostly rectified by tightening the chain. The clicking did not seem to have a pattern or rhythm.

However, after having a shop replace my rear tire, it graduated to a popping/clicking sound, though still erratic. A month or so later, I went on a 800 mile, 2 day trip, and upon returning the popping is dramatic.

The popping is now at regular intervals, at an increasing rate based on speed. The popping is so dramatic that at low speeds I can feel it while riding. Tightening/loosening the chain does nothing. On the center stand, the clicking DOES take place when spinning the tire, though not as heavy sounding as when riding.

I'm not sure what this is, but it feels risky to ride and I'm at a loss right now.

I'm very ignorant of technical talk and I apologize for that. I have low trust for mechanics with which I have no rapport, so here I am. I'm trying to get an idea of what it is before I take it in.

Let me know if you need any more information, thank you so much for your help and input.

- Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your chain and sprockets have 36k miles on them they are probably worn out. If not minimally maintained they won't even last that long.

• Member Contributer

Take a look at the sprocket teeth if they have a hook to em they are done. The clicking popping sound you hear/feel is the chain literally popping past the worn part of the sprocket teeth. Not good. 

Take a look at the sprocket teeth if they have a hook to em they are done. The clicking popping sound you hear/feel is the chain literally popping past the worn part of the sprocket teeth. Not good. 

That sounds like a pretty safe assumption. Wasn't sure how to describe it. Is there a way I can check the front sprocket with minimal tools? (Working out of a college apartment right now)

If you see that kind of wear on your rear sprocket, go ahead and order both sprockets and a chain. If you search around you may find a package deal and save a few bucks.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Advice I've read usually recommends replacing sprockets at the same time a new chain is installed. Last summer my machine was making similar sounds. They went away after replacement of chain and sprockets. And it can get relatively expensive if you do not do it yourself. (I've never done it myself.)

Honda calls for chain lubrication every 500 miles. I use my B trip meter to keep track, resetting it each time I lube up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm not saying anyone's suggestion is inaccurate, because I would tend to come to the same conclusion. But to play the devil's advocate, in your initial post, you said it seem to come from the front end. So I'm wondering if you've tried rotating the front wheel while on the center stand. I hate it when I spend good money only to not solve the issue. It could be bearing? I would describe a front bearing issue differently, but still worth 5 minutes...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Oddball noises from the front end can include a loose horn or the horn being hit by something else loose. 

• Member Contributer

I had a similar noise on my '86, turned out to be the front sprocket and the output shaft it was mounted on making the noise, not the sprocket and chain.  Sprocket was in good condition as far as teeth, but once replaced, the noise went away.

I always keep my chains adjusted to the loose end of the spec to put as little stress on the output shaft bearing as possible.

Cheers,

Glenn

Archived