App-based Rider-Pillion Comms Suggestions in 2017?

NZCam

I'm interested to hear people's recent experiences and recommendations for a app/smartphone-based comms option. I'm specifically interested in an affordable option that allows my girl and I to connect our smartphones such that they work together, possibly with a blue-tooth or wired set of helmet-friendly headphones/microphones. A rider-to-ride option would be great too (I think Sena does this?), but it's rare that I ride in groups, and probably even less common that anyone the group would have a compatible set-up.

• Member Contributer

I'm a bit confused, If you are going to fit Helmet Friendly Headphones/Microphones why not buy a pukka M/cycle comms setup. I have a Sena SMH-5 Bluetooth set. Talk to wifey if she is pillion or on her own wheels, Listen to music, listen to sat-Nag.

I don't see what the advantage of a phone based app would be ?

• Member Contributer

I agree with Woody.

If you want pillion/rider comms, there are plenty of solutions out there. Why try to look for such a questionable one? Unless we've not understood you properly.

I have a Sena SMH-10 setup, using in-ear speakers rather than the in-helmet speakers. Mrs Skids & I can chat and we can listen to music or radio from our phones or take phone calls but the phones are not essential to chatting and I don't see why you would want to use them for that.

If money is the issue, I think you're likely to find that you'll get what you pay for - decent quality sound inside a helmet on a motorcycle at speed is not easy to achieve cheaply.

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Skids said:

If money is the issue, I think you're likely to find that you'll get what you pay for - decent quality sound inside a helmet on a motorcycle at speed is not easy to achieve cheaply.

My set was £180 (310 AU$) for a pair which I thought was damned good value.

I recently bought the dual SMH-5 FM set from Sena. There is no app, but for what you described, I don't know why that's necessary. I use it daily to listen to music though Amazon Music on my iPhone, I've used voice commands to call my wife, I've used it for navigation from my phone, and I rode 12 hours COTA weekend occasionally using the intercom with my wife pillion. All of these things are handled through Bluetooth, not an app. If you don't want the FM radio, the dual set can be had for under $200.

• Member Contributer

I just bought and installed a device I bought off amazon for $44.00. The model number is LXR6.  Its a cheap version of person to person communication systems.  You can talk to up to 6 people in a rider group, you can also make calls, answer calls and stream music from your phone.  Its been on my helmet for about two weeks now.  I ride about 45 minutes each way to and from work.  I charged it once right out of the box and have been streaming music through it the whole ride.  I charged it again after the 5th day of riding, just being cautious.  It mounts on the outside of the helmet and has large easy to feel buttons. I have made calls on it and my son said he cant tell im on the bike when speaking to him.  I have not used the bike to bike option yet.  Type in LXR6 on amazon and several will pop up.  I hope that helps.

• 4 months later...
On 5/22/2017 at 10:33 AM, alwaysaware said:

I just bought and installed a device I bought off amazon for $44.00. The model number is LXR6.  Its a cheap version of person to person communication systems.  You can talk to up to 6 people in a rider group, you can also make calls, answer calls and stream music from your phone.  Its been on my helmet for about two weeks now.  I ride about 45 minutes each way to and from work.  I charged it once right out of the box and have been streaming music through it the whole ride.  I charged it again after the 5th day of riding, just being cautious.  It mounts on the outside of the helmet and has large easy to feel buttons. I have made calls on it and my son said he cant tell im on the bike when speaking to him.  I have not used the bike to bike option yet.  Type in LXR6 on amazon and several will pop up.  I hope that helps.

Hey Always, how did this setup work out? Still using without any issues?

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, JimF777 said:

Hey Always, how did this setup work out? Still using without any issues?

No issues and it works well.  I stream music all the time and when calls come in, you touch one of the large buttons on the side and it picks up.  Very easy to use.  

Archived