Restoring 6th gen forks

Hi ladies and gents. 

So I have a 6th gen vfr with some slightly ageing forks. However it's only the outside of the forks where there is some corrosion/white powdery looking stuff. 

Any tips on cleaning/refurbing would be appreciated. 

Cheers

• Member Contributer

All Honda forks go the same way. I have sanded mine smooth, then applied an etch primer, followed by a few coats of a silver enamel, then a clear top coat. Probably not as durable as powder coating but easier and cheaper.

If you do go with PC make sure your painter masks off the insides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Terry said:

All Honda forks go the same way. I have sanded mine smooth, then applied an etch primer, followed by a few coats of a silver enamel, then a clear top coat. Probably not as durable as powder coating but easier and cheaper.

I did the same, but I used satin Black rather than silver. Definitely worth taking them off to do the work though.

• Member Contributer

Fwiw, back '07 I stripped the yellowed and chipped clear coat from my '92 VFR's forks, then brightened them up using emery cloth for the worst areas and scotchbrite & solved autosol everywhere. Two years and 20K km later, including 3 trips to California and a track day, the finish still looked bright and shiny. I had expected the alloy to dull but was pleased that it did not.

My '09's forks are painted black and I hope they respond as well when they need refinishing.

In this pic the old clear coat is gone, and I've finished 'polishing' one leg.

scruff+polished.jpg

1 hour ago, Lorne said:

Fwiw, back '07 I stripped the yellowed and chipped clear coat from my '92 VFR's forks, then brightened them up using emery cloth for the worst areas and scotchbrite & solved autosol everywhere. Two years and 20K km later, including 3 trips to California and a track day, the finish still looked bright and shiny. I had expected the alloy to dull but was pleased that it did not.

My '09's forks are painted black and I hope they respond as well when they need refinishing.

In this pic the old clear coat is gone, and I've finished 'polishing' one leg.

scruff+polished.jpg

Well done on polishing that fork as it looks pretty good. Initially I did want to polish it in the same way you have but I was worried about having to re-polish them once or twice every month, which wouldn't be ideal. Saying that, I'm quite keen on this route of refurbishing my ones.

Archived