starter relay

lago

Hi, new to this forum, hopefully some one can shine some light, will be very much appreciated in advance.

I have an 06 vfr800 that keeps burning/blowin/melting the 30 amp starter relay has anyone experience seen this? This is the 3rd one in 2 months thank you in advance sincerely 

Lago

• Member Contributer

I will assume that you mean the fuse attached to the starter relay and not the relay itself. Does it blow when you try to start the bike? Or at some random time during a ride? More detail needed.

The only reason a fuse blows is that the current flow in the circuit exceeds the design spec.

1. remove, or at least disconnect, any non-factory wiring.

2. check all the connections on the starter relay. Remove the rubber cap to get a good look. More than a few have had a failure of these small connectors due to overheating from corrosion.

3.The two large cables connect to the battery and the starter. Ensure that their fasteners are tight. Check the cable leading to the starter, looking for any damage to the insulation and that it is tight on the starter.

Good luck

My '91's failed starter relay

6th gen starter relay.pdf

Hi thank you for replaying, well 1st time did blow a fuse, I think was cause of meltdown and cables were twisted...? 2nd time it was total meltdown and 3rd starting to melt.... pls see pics thanks,

now i just bought it exctaly 3 months ago + - idk if this was the reason it was sold.... it has power commander installed, will this have an affect/something to do with it....? Thanks again.

Lago

20170315_201029.jpg

20170520_075425.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Lago.

Your are going to need a circuit diagram. It appears you have either developed high resistance joints at the fuse or you are drawing excessive current through the Red wire which feeds your Ignition Switch. Make sure that along this Red wire no other additional wiring or services have been added as per what Lorne has suggested.

When you replace your Starter Relay, 30a fuse, and damaged wiring make sure all terminals are tight.

Might need to have a amp meter (capable of reading at least 30a) in series with the Red wire to see what current you are actually drawing.

If you had a dead short the fuse would blow immediately, having a high resistance joint or/and drawing higher than normal current is more likely in your situation.

Good Luck.

FWIW, that is similar to what happened on my 4G. 

I replaced the wires with slightly larger gauge wire from the R/R to the relay and added a better ground. Plus cleaned up some of the other wiring to the stator. 

Are you in Corona CA? I'm in Murrieta, I could lend a hand if needed. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, otmaximus said:

FWIW, that is similar to what happened on my 4G. 

I replaced the wires with slightly larger gauge wire from the R/R to the relay and added a better ground. Plus cleaned up some of the other wiring to the stator. 

Are you in Corona CA? I'm in Murrieta, I could lend a hand if needed. 

Hi Otmaximus.

It looks like Lago is blowing/cooking the Main Fuse A 30amp, not the Main Fuse B which is the main positive feed from the Reg/Rect.? Bit hard to tell what's going on.

Ya it's hard to tell. But that melted connection makes it difficult to ID the source of the problem. It can't hurt to clean up all the wiring. 

A little bit of corrosion leads to resistance and to heat and takes out the whole connection. 

Archived