How do I persuade a perturbing exhaust?

• Member Contributer

Hello all - I have successfully mounted a newly ceramic coated set of 1998/1999 catless headers to my friend's 6th gen. I have unsuccessfully mounted a stock 6th gen canister assembly to the 98/99 headers. [We will be installing a Power Commander V, so will not require 02 sensors or associated bungs]

Sorry I don't have photos yet, but I'll be able to post some by this Saturday.

The 98/99 headers have a couple minor dings from their life before the ceramic coating, but nothing major. I do not know their history. After aligning the stock 6th gen exhaust canister assembly to its mounting points, it is 5mm too high, 15mm too far left, and rotated a tad so that the support bolts wouldn't line up even if position was correct. This is the same stock 6th gen canister assembly that earlier fit the stock 6th gen headers on this motorcycle with no problem, so I suspect the new used headers are the cause of the problem. I have used all new OEM copper crush washers and all new OEM exhaust sleeve gaskets and have torqued the cylinder exhaust studs very gradually and evenly to their specified torque. Having read MVinOZ's thread here and seeing how much bending of exhaust he did with leverage and force, I attempted to use some leverage of my own to persuade the canisters to move into place, but stopped when I thought more force might sacrifice a cylinder stud.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the headers and canister assembly to line up when the components prefer to misbehave? The motorcycle's owner suggested heating to bend via running the engine or using a butane torch. To me, it didn't seem the engine would generate enough heat that far back in the exhaust system to help persuade the exhaust. I am researching whether direct application of a high heat flame [Like a torch] would be detrimental to the ceramic coating.

Thanks for any assistance!

This almost sounds like you have a two brothers or erion racing header, which has a slightly angled outlet. I have one of those headers mounted on a sixth gen with a sixth gen slip on. What I did was cut the slip on's mid pipe, adjusted the angle and then welded. That's what I would do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have '99 headers installed on a '03 vtec.
They work perfectly. 

I had too a bad time to install them, finally they fit.

You have to rotate slightly the first one after having installed it ( and fixed softly) creating enough room to push the second one in.
Then you can fix this one softly. 

I glued the copper washers to the headers so they wouldn't go here and there.
I needed a flexible extension to fix the studs appropriately.
Finally, a thing that I wouldn't mess with again !!!

Ah well picture would help,  gee wish I was closer Gabe would love to make this work out. I know,  load it up and bring it on up, Its only a long day away right ;) 

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. Heating, cutting, and/or welding keep coming up. I'm not adverse to these options, I just see them as last resort. The headers are freshly ceramic coated iwht zero hours on them, and the canister assembly has ceramic coating of an indeterminate age. I hope not to have to start over on the coatings.

• Member Contributer

I have had my exhaust off a number of times, including after having it ceramic coated. Each time it is a bit of a jiggle to get all the items to fit in the right position. Suggest you undue all of the header studs and rear clamps so they are all loose to allow you to move all of the pipes to the right position through twisting etc.  This will mean new copper washers unfortunately to ensure the headers seal correctly. Unless the replacement headers have been damaged they will fit.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Maroon, I'll get some washers on hand, and give it a shot. Really, what's another twelvish dollars between me and Honda America at this point?

• Member Contributer

I fitted a new set of Motad headers to my VTEC, I had to adjust them a little, reminded me a bit of that Greco-Roman wrestling you college boys like so much.

Archived