Reflash v. Z-Bomb

• Member Contributer

I recently installed a z-bomb. My thoughts are below.

But I am still contemplating the reflash - it would be nice to get the gear indicator back for 1 and 2, and my understanding is there is a better fuel map available, as well as ability to change fan temp, remove top speed limitations, more aggressive timing (English, I believe), and ability to change RPM limiter...

Anyone start with a z-bomb and move to the reflash? Curious if the differences were noticeable on the road. Would love to read about your observations after making the change!

Have to say I love the power delivery without the restrictions in 1 and 2... WTF was Honda thinking?

Here's my post in the obsolete Z-Bomb thread...

I know this entire topic is obsolete now that a reflash is available, but I went for the Z-Bomb because I had an E-Bay gift certificate for $50 and blew my motorcycle budget wad on track days.

I have to say, people pay lots of money for the type of improvement the Z-Bomb gives. The hesitation in 1 and 2 is gone, and the power is now much more accessible. At slow, easy pace riding, this won't make a bit of difference. BUT - for those that like to accelerate up the gears and give a bit of go juice to jump ahead, this is a SERIOUS upgrade. I knew what to expect from reading above, but I was still ridiculously impressed with the improvements to power delivery in 1st and 2nd gear. What was Honda thinking???

Now I really want the Guel (SP?) reflash, as it supposedly has more aggressive timing available, in addition to a bunch of other convenience items (gear indicator works, speed limits removed, fan temp adjustable, exhaust servo-alert can be killed if you want to remove the servo motor completely, etc.).

People pay a lot more than $50 to get the types of improvements made available by the Z-Bomb...  I can see that the easy access to power could be a little dangerous to an inexperienced rider, but really, what was Honda thinking?!?!?

Great mod - I now understand why it was such a big deal when it came out. (I drive a 2010 F with the only performance mod being an open flapper in the exhaust).

- Dan

I had the Z-Bomb and jumped on the Re flash.  Personally, I'm glad I didn't drag my feet and wait.  The Z-Bomb, while eliminates the 1/2nd gear limitations drove me crazy that I list my gear indicator.  For me, the reflash came down to two big points:

A) I got back my gear indicator and there was nothing that jumped out saying "hey I've been modded"

B) Improved fueling.  I figured I could go the PCV route and tune my bike and live with CE lights coming on because of the O2 eliminators, OR go with a re-flash map that would get me 90% to where I wanted to be.

Between the fueling and the removed limitations its the best money I spent on the bike.  PERIOD.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. I'm thinking going with the flash too. Just can't see it being THAT much of an improvement on performance. I'll be able to remove the servo motor I disconnected from the exhaust. I don't see myself ever going faster than the limiter (what, it's 186mph or so?). I'll rebuild the bike fund and see where it goes. 

Still ll looking for more input if anyone has it!

- Dan

From a straight up performance standpoint, I don't think you gain much over the Z-bomb.  What you DO get is a bike that just runs better due to fueling adjustments.  If you already had a PCV and Z-bomb, you only really get your indicator back... I didn't raise the rev limiter or servo motor stuff since I may want to put stock exhaust back on the bike when I sell it and it's really not that much weight savings.

i had a z-bomb and Bazazz ZFi  (power commander) on my 2010.....went for the reflash solely on the fact that i wanted the gear position indicator back......i was stunned by the performance improvement over z-bomb/ZFi combo......throttle response was much improved, clunking driveshaft was gone......even before recall was done....power and overall fueling greatly improved.......when i got my 2012 the reflash was a no brainer.....no cutting into wiring harness and less expensive than the ZFi .....reflash wins hands down

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, lshark said:

i had a z-bomb and Bazazz ZFi  (power commander) on my 2010.....went for the reflash solely on the fact that i wanted the gear position indicator back......i was stunned by the performance improvement over z-bomb/ZFi combo......throttle response was much improved, clunking driveshaft was gone......even before recall was done....power and overall fueling greatly improved.......when i got my 2012 the reflash was a no brainer.....no cutting into wiring harness and less expensive than the ZFi .....reflash wins hands down

M8, is your 2012 the upgraded model (ie not the original first release model)? Reason I ask is I'm still somewhat confused by the 1st/2nd gear restriction (and 3rd gear over here apparently); I don't know if the 2012+ models still have the gear restriction or not as I cannot feel any restriction on my 2014 model and as she runs really smoothly, I'd discounted getting the ECU re-flashed as not necessary. But if it makes such a difference as you say, and there is still a restriction in the lower gears, then maybe it's worth me reconsidering.

• Member Contributer

The Z-bomb has made the VFR so much more enjoyable around town, when I want to get on it from low RPM's, as well as much easier to control at parking lot speeds. If the reflash is yet even better, along with giving me back my gear indicator (which really isn't all that important to me), I'll get there eventually. I know the more aggressive cam timing should make a difference in responsiveness, and I'd like to remove the servo motor even though I have the stock exhaust - note, I've diconnected the cable and used a small cylinder around the cable to keep the flap about 3/4 open (so it doesn't bang on anything).

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, veeefour said:

They all have restrictions.

Apparently so. I've just received an email back from Don Guhl saying every single 1200 ECU he's received has had gear restrictions in it, whether it's 1/2/6 for the US models, 1/2/3/6 for the UK/Euro models or the huge restrictions on the Belgian/French models.

Looks like I may have to get the re-flash done, though probably not until November when she's taken off the road for the winter.

• Member Contributer

Good lord man, you have done everything else possible to your 1200 so get on with the Guhl ECU flash.:beer:

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, EhViffer said:

Good lord man, you have done everything else possible to your 1200 so get on with the Guhl ECU flash.:beer:

Ha, I will. Just not whilst it's biking weather....don't want to miss out waiting for the ECU to come back.  :beer:

Archived