5th Gen Cooling Upgrades

fonque

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got a chance to do a 40 mile ride today on the new radiators and wow do they work!! It was only 59 F outside, and the bike while moving would only get to about 172. When stopped it would rise into the 190s. As soon as I started moving it would drop down again. I wasnt able to get it hot enough to test the new SPAL fan.

If I could find a set that didnt leak at the weld, I would say this is a great pair of radiators.

I finally got a chance to do a 40 mile ride today on the new radiators and wow do they work!! It was only 59 F outside, and the bike while moving would only get to about 172. When stopped it would rise into the 190s. As soon as I started moving it would drop down again. I wasnt able to get it hot enough to test the new SPAL fan.
If I could find a set that didnt leak at the weld, I would say this is a great pair of radiators.

Im glad that it worked but that jb weld makes me be scared about the future of that bike ?
I would rather look for a good tig weld in a short time... I know that jb weld is like a miracle, but a leak on a pressurized radiator fixed with jbweld from the outside wont last forever...
Good luck and keep us updated!

11 hours ago, fonque said:

The jb weld is just to get the bike back on the road so I can stop taking the metro train to work. I am on the hunt for a solution still.

Haven't you contacted the manufacturer/seller yet? Don't they stand behind their work?

• Member Contributer

You can always message who you bought from on Ebay.

You must be doing something wrong, missing information or using a different PC/phone/laptop and not signed in.

I would not rely on that fix you did, it will fail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, fonque said:

Does it also feel less hot when you ride? I'm a new owner...only have mine for a few weeks. It's a great bike but damn if the heat isn't making me second guess getting it. Coming from an SV650, it feels like I'm riding a furnace.

This is the best part,  since installing the new radiators and spal fan my legs are significantly cooler!

I think this is due to running a pusher fan instead of a puller. I think with a puller fan the air has no where to go but to your crotch. 

I've had a chance to ride in the mid 80s, and the bike just touched 221 in stop and go traffic. Temps we're pretty steady between 210 and 221 in heavy traffic.

18 hours ago, fonque said:

This is the best part,  since installing the new radiators and spal fan my legs are significantly cooler!

I think this is due to running a pusher fan instead of a puller. I think with a puller fan the air has no where to go but to your crotch. 

I've had a chance to ride in the mid 80s, and the bike just touched 221 in stop and go traffic. Temps we're pretty steady between 210 and 221 in heavy traffic.

Awesome, I might just try replacing my fans and see if that helps. At least for now I'll be able to ride longer through winder than I could on my SV :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone tried cutting vents in the narrow strip of lower fairing facing your shins? It seems to me the fairing traps heat in the engine bay and vents might let it flow backwards, albeit onto your legs. 

Stray

Archived