5th-Gen fork Upgrades

MsRN98

Question

Hello All--greetings from Madison, Wisconsin! While I'm certain this topic has already been beaten to death (and I've read many of the threads), I'm going to ask about it again. With something just over 3,000 miles on my '00 VFR since November, I've come to the same conclusion as many of you--the stock suspension is barely adequate to the bike it graces. I've talked with Jamie Daugherty (picked up the bike in Fort Wayne, too), and I'll definitely go with his re-tooled 929 rear shock. For the forks, though, there seem to be a plethora of options. If I stay with stock forks, Jamie's cartridge kit will go in my fork. However, there's also the brake de-link with Super Hawk lowers and brakes, or the RC51 build, with RC51 lower triple and Super Hawk upper triple. Has anyone here experienced more than one of these options? For someone like me, who's willing with a wrench but lacks welding, fabrication or engineering skills (sorry--bioscience, languages and healthcare background), is the RC51 mod too much for me to take on? As it obviously changes effective trail due to the changed fork offset, does it radically change the character of the bike? And for someone like me, who will never race but might do a few track days here and there, is the RC51 mod overkill? I have to change my upper tubes soon (bad pitting), so I'm trying to decide on the most sensible direction to take this wonderful bike. Thanks in advance, everyone, for your input!

Oh--here's a recent pic of my Yellow Bird...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Answers 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer
On 9/25/2017 at 7:19 PM, mello dude said:

I have machined fender brackets for sale for this conversion if you are interested.....

I can vouch for mello dude's fabrication skills. Fabulous work from what I've seen and used. And I just had an idea for a new (little) project for him.

Mello dude, expect a PM in the next few days. 

Archived