HELP! I think I fried something on my Seventh Gen

ECX585

• Member Contributer

This was certainly not my finest hour - I was replacing the original battery on a new-to-me 2010 VFR 1200 when the terminal on the new (Interstate) battery broke off! (I'll be returning it for a Yuasa). 

Anyway, during the ensuing struggle, I accidentally shorted/arched the negative wire to ground. Now when I hit start, I do not hear the fuel pump/injectors kicking on like they used to. After several attempts, the bike started briefly but died out shortly thereafter. During the time it was running, I tried blipping the throttle and it did absolutely nothing, like it was no longer functional.

I visually inspected all of the underseat fuses and they all look fine.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Hope is the last to die so here goes....

A fuse may look OK but why not put in a new one (and try that is the various slots)

You write "ensuing struggle" so double check that all connectors are in all the way, or even open them and look for burned/corroded connections.

I have arced redslut sometimes to no ill effect, so it is not automatic that arc = snafu...

So with which battery are you now attempting to start?  The original? did you want to change that because it was farked to begin with?

what if you jump start from a different battery (like the one in your car, beware of arcing! :goofy:)

Check the manual (I'm not familiar with the VFR1200 finer points) for trouble shoot and/or reset procedure.

but 1st,

step back, make yourself a coffee with optional (not advised) cigarette; the world will look a bit better afterwards..

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Dutchy.

I put the original (7-8 year old) battery back in to try it before I wrote this post--I've got it charging now and I'm buying a new Yuasa tomorrow.

If that doesn't solve the problem (and i suspect it wont), I'm going to have to dig deeper.

It acts like whatever electronic component which controls the fuel pump and throttle is not functioning.

Let's hope it's the battery!  (If not, I'll surely be back for more advice!)

I did that on my SV and blew the 'master fuse'... But I agree with Dutchy, take a break, come back and start checking fuses and relays.  Buy a few spare/new fuses so you can swap out with KNOWN good ones.  If that still no worky, start doing the same things with the relays.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Archived