Removing front wheel without stand?

jeange

I was thinking of removing my front wheel, by putting my VFR on it's center stand and removing the rear wheel. Then having a helper press on the rear seat to lift up the front while I remove the wheel. Then after I would rest the 2 front forks on automotive 2-ton jack stands, one on each fork. I have never done this before so I don't know if this would work. In theory it look like it is doable but I am not sure? I just want to do this so I can bring the wheels to the shop to have the tires changed.

• Member Contributer

I do a similar thing.  I take off the rear wheel and use a bottle jack under the engine to raise the front.  Once the front wheel is off, I replace the axle in the forks and lower it on to a single jack stand.  If you have a friend push down on the back, be careful that they don't push the bike forward collapsing the center stand. 

• Member Contributer

You don't need the helper. You can do it yourself. You just need a scissor jack and a 6" length of 2x4.

1. Loosen but do not remove bolts for rear wheel and front wheel removal but do not remove them. 
  2. Put bike on centrestand.
  3. Place the scissor jack with block of wood under the headers and raise to lift the front tire off the ground. (Note: You may need to remove fairings to permit access to the headers. No need on my 4th gen). 
  4. Remove front and rear wheel but consult your manual to see what else may need to be removed first, eg. brake caliper.

I feel comfortable leaving my bike this way. And don't squeeze the front brake lever with the front wheel removed.

• Member Contributer

When i replaced steering head bearing, i put about 30kg weight on the back seat to lift front. And as a precaution, i had soft wood on top of 2 bricks under the exhaust pipe with about 1-2mm clearance.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

not the most stable solution but it works.....

HPIM3516.jpg

Baskin shark 2.0 aka "Linda"  :goofy:

Do triple tree stand work on the VFR? I don't mind purchasing one if it will allow me to do front end work and removing the wheel without hassle.

Something smilar to this:

Motorcycle-Bike-Front-Stand-Headlift-Sta

• Member Contributer

I may be wrong, but I think if you use a front stand, you'll need a rear stand too.  Not sure that a front stand and center stand work well together.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, jeange said:

Do triple tree stand work on the VFR? I don't mind purchasing one if it will allow me to do front end work and removing the wheel without hassle.

Yep, head lift stand works a treat. Placing the centre stand on approx 20mm board just gives the right amount of rear wheel clearance allowing the head lift stand to fully extend, and steady as a rock. Should work just as well for the 6th gen.

IMG_4493_low_res.jpg

1 hour ago, Conedodger said:

I may be wrong, but I think if you use a front stand, you'll need a rear stand too.  Not sure that a front stand and center stand work well together.

According to tpierce in this thread, he seems to be doing the front stand/center stand and it seems to be working:

• Member Contributer

Pit Bull front and rear stands have been the best bike tools I've ever bought and used.  There are other ways to lift the bike but once you own real stands, you'll wonder why you ever did without.  Just my 3 cents.  

• Member Contributer

But I would remove the wheel spacers so they don't get lost. And make a note which goes where if they are unequal sizes.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Africord said:

Does the 8th Gen require removal of one caliper to pull the front wheel? I know the 6th gen does. 

The 8gen requires both calipers to be removed to drop the front wheel off. Simple process.

• Member Contributer
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, jeange said:

Well mine is a little bit of back yard engineering (Red Neck Engineering!) but it worked. At the top the upright was angled to match the angle of the underside of the yoke (triple tree!) and a 14mm socket bolted on with a coach bolt.

lifted it with a trolley jack under the engine and then dropped it onto my stand once the wheel was out. Meant I could get the forks out to service and paint them.

P.S. Mine's a sixth gen

Honda Forks 1.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 5/18/2017 at 10:09 AM, Bent said:

Pit Bull front and rear stands have been the best bike tools I've ever bought and used.  There are other ways to lift the bike but once you own real stands, you'll wonder why you ever did without.  Just my 3 cents.  

100% agree! They have convertible fronts that can lift from the forks or triple (2 tools in one! You're saving money already!) and SSA rears that can change the handle to go forward or rearward. 

Its just as easy to use the fork stand to take the wheel off, and you have to unbolt the horn to use the triple anyway. 

• Member Contributer

If I am going to work on wheels and brakes only, I have a stand for that, but this go around, I had a boatload of front end and internal front end work. 

After stripping the body, I set a 50 pound dumbell on the tail frame and the front end lifted. Then I have this sweet cycle jack I jammed under the header and removed the dumbell, for getting to work. 

Doing fine with that. ....

While%20I%20at%20it2_zpsvquw65pd.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use a tie down and the center stand. I anchor one end to the sub frame high and the other end low to something fixed or heavy. My motorcycle trailor frame worked for me. Hold the front wheel aloft and is secure. 

I did the block and jack under the header pipe but this will wear out and damage the rear down tube exhaust gaskets over time. Exhaust leaks are annoying.

Archived