Buzz noise when off

zegued

• Member Contributer

Crossrunner does exactly the same thing.

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, zegued said:

My concern is that it should discharge the battery. Ok thank you! :fing02:

It won't discharge the battery as it doesn't use any power to vent the tank. It has a similar sound to the fuel pump running.

I thought the buzz was the HISS, sure I've seen it light up on the dash when it makes the buzz

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, zegued said:

I noticed that it stops making the buzz sound, when I turn off the engine stop switch.

If your ignition is off then the engine stop switch and its relay is doing nothing.

The venting that we assume you are hearing only happens for a second or two, it could just be coincidence that as you flick the engine stop switch the noise has stopped of is own accord.

Are you saying you are hearing this Every time you switch the engine off? Does the buzz only go for a second or two?

OR - Are you just referring to the normal fuel pump prime as you turn on the ignition (engine not running) and the fact that the engine stop switch inhibits the fuel pump prime - which is all completely normal?...

More info required Zegued.

What I mean is, when I turn off the engine with the key, not the engine stop switch, past 1 minutes or 2, I hear the sound, which repeats itself after a few minutes, and keep repeating.

And if I turn off the engine stop switch, it stops completely.

Did you try opening your fuel cap while it is making the sound?  That would be the easiest way to rule out fuel tank venting.  The stop switch vs the key affecting the sound is really strange.

• Member Contributer

Hi Zegued.

Do as DriverDave said. As soon as you stop the engine open your fuel cap then wait and see if the noise appears, let us know what happens.  

Has there been any additional wiring or accessories added to your bike? Is anything wired into the accessory plug under the seat of your bike, if there is Unplug it and retry your bike? Can you provide a video of the problem you have?

It just doesn't make sense regards the Stop Switch,  because once your Ignition is Off there is No power going to the Engine Stop Switch or its Relay Coil. Have a look at the top section of attached drawing.

VFR800F_PGM-FI_Circuit001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Whilst I haven't tried opening the fuel cap or turning off the kill switch, the Crossrunner, which is exactly the same engine as the VFR800F/8th Gen, makes exactly this noise after switching off. Which suggests it is generic to the engine and nothing to worry about. However, I will try both of the above procedures and see what effect it has.

I don't have any wires and accessories connect to the battery. I will do some tests, and post back the results. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
10 hours ago, zegued said:

Well, I can confirm, approximately two in two minutes, the 1 sec buzz noise!

Hi Zegued.

Is The Buzz Coming From Your Fuel Tank??????? If it is this is normal. Place your ear against the tank and see if you can hear the buzz.

Have you tried what DriverDave said and opened the fuel cap to see if the buzz goes away?

Try the above and let's know what happens.

With your Ignition to OFF the Kill Switch is NOT doing anything.

Hi Grum,

Yes, the buzz comes from the fuel tank. I think the kill switch off only deactivates the H.I.S.S system.

I Will try to open the fuel cap to see what happens! :wink:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, zegued said:

Hi Grum,

Yes, the buzz comes from the fuel tank. I think the kill switch off only deactivates the H.I.S.S system.

I Will try to open the fuel cap to see what happens! :wink:

O.K. Think you have finally confirmed the buzz is just the tank venting noise. And as your battery isn't going flat there definitely is no electrical load.

NO - The Kill doesn't deactivate the H.I.S.S system!

5 hours ago, fink said:

It's not the fuel cap. 

He's not saying it's the cap making the noise.  Opening the cap will confirm it's the tank vent making the noise if it stops the moment you open it.

Guys I think it's to do with the HISS, only because I'm sure I've seen the HISS light on the dash come on when it makes the noise

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, DriverDave said:

He's not saying it's the cap making the noise.  Opening the cap will confirm it's the tank vent making the noise if it stops the moment you open it.

You mean the fuel tank breather hose? 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, fink said:

You mean the fuel tank breather hose? 

Hi Fink.

We are trying to establish wether Zegued is having the same issue that so many of us have experienced with a buzz noise that comes from the fuel tank. It almost sounds like the fuel pump primes even though ignition is OFF, it's been referred to as pressure equalising or venting. Have a look on Page 20 of the 8gen activity topics regards "Fuel Pump" and "Fuel Tank Venting after stopping engine"

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Hi Grum.  Mine makes same noise so am aware of what he is describing . The noise comes from the front of the tank and sounds like a relay clicking in and out. It doesn't have the same whine as the fuel pump. 

When i I get back from Ireland next week, I'll lift the tank and investigate it thoroughly. I'll make a vid of it if my ageing memory allows me. 

Archived