5th gen with 6th gen battery? Will this work?

phoenixfire

Question

Hi All,

Has anyone tried dropping a Yuasa YTZ12S in a 5th gen? (99-01).  I want the extra power because I am hard on my batteries (heated gear, USB, ride in weather below freezing).

The dimensions will fit (YTZ12S is 150x87x110 while YTX12 is 150x87x130)

Would the extra amp hour (AH) cause adverse effect to the electric system?

I don't see why but on the other hand I'm cautious because Yuasa doesn't list it on batteries that would fit a 99 viffer.

Thoughts?

2 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Yes, it works fine.  My 5th gen has a 12s battery in it.  The only problem is that it is really hard to get the battery out.  Either loop a strip of duct tape around the battery to make a handle or put something in the bottom of the battery box to lift the battery up a bit.  I just have a slice of wood in the bottom, this also helps keep the battery terminals at the height they belong.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, phoenixfire said:

Hi All,

Has anyone tried dropping a Yuasa YTZ12S in a 5th gen? (99-01).  I want the extra power because I am hard on my batteries (heated gear, USB, ride in weather below freezing).

The dimensions will fit (YTZ12S is 150x87x110 while YTX12 is 150x87x130)

Would the extra amp hour (AH) cause adverse effect to the electric system?

I don't see why but on the other hand I'm cautious because Yuasa doesn't list it on batteries that would fit a 99 viffer.

Thoughts?

This will definitely work. As will the YTZ14S which is even higher capacity. I've done it!

Archived