Clutch

• Member Contributer

My 1998 VFR has around 32000 miles on it. How long can I expect the clutch to last? It seems to be doing fine but I know everything wears out eventually.3ad362eb5b059d1ec089f7f648b59435.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Unlike say tires or chains & sprockets, the clutch ought to survive the vagaries of normal use and last the life of the bike. But even if it were to expire prematurely, it isn't a particularly costly repair.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the reply Lorne. Sigh of relief.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Yep, my 09 has over 60k miles and it's the original clutch. This is my commuter so it's probably a better litmus for what a clutch will go through day to day. As long as your not always slipping the clutch or using it to pull whole shots at stop lights, should last a while. Sometimes a "rebuild" could be just reconditioning the plates, which will depend on how much media is left and how abused they are.

changed all my clutch discs at 45,000mi in a 2002 only because I broke the outer clutch basket on an 80mph lowside crash, I didnt notice any difference in clutch performance after replacing and its been abused heavily on the track. I don't do any burnouts though.

• Member Contributer

Mine started acting up at 42k miles.  Replaced it.  Not expensive.  Big difference.  The old one was toast.

• Member Contributer

Replaced my friction discs at 55000 miles. Was working OK but getting grabby. After fitting EBC discs and springs it works like new again with a smooth wide engagement point.

On a whim while replacing a leaking clutch cover gasket, I decided to pull apart the clutch stack and inspect the discs.    

Using linear extrapolation and based on OEM specs for new friction disc thickness and service limits, I calculated I would reach over 100,000 miles before I hit the service limit.  I did this with around 40,000 on the clock and I sit at 50k right now.

I'm not sure that I can assume linear wear, but I won't be checking back in there for a quite a while based on what I saw and measured.   I'm not a small guy but I'm also not brutal on the clutch.   YMMV. (literally)

• Member Contributer

My first fifth gen had 105,000 miles when she was KIA by a deer. No clutch problems experienced.

• Member Contributer

I think, like most things, it has a lot to do with how you treat your clutch.  I'm no clutch expert but I would think good rev-matching would help longevity.  Rev-matching is one of my few good habits.  Once you get used to it, shifting otherwise just doesn't happen any longer.

Archived