Posi-Tap

Skids

Question

• Member Contributer

Which Posi-Tap is the best for bike wiring? Are they as good as they appear?

Cheers

16 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I agree about soldering but the live wires have little flex in them which means trying to cut & solder up against other wires.

• Member Contributer

I like using all of the Posi Products. They're perfect for someone who is not good at soldering like me.

• Member Contributer

+1

Which reminds me to get an order in to be shipped to my mule who is coming over.....   :-)

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, they don't seem to stock Posi products, but I have to give a big UP to Del City for international orders.  Very reasonable, $20 on a $45 order (that is reasonable, trust me!)  Even more reasonable is Cycle Terminal, actually ($8 on up to a $24.99 order).  Eastern Beaver in Japan is okay, too.  I do know how to solder (and crimp, and heat-shrink), so I don't use Posi or Scotch stuff myself... :cool:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I can solder, but this looks a lot easier, especially in a cramped space. And if it's a reliable connection....

Just curious, where are you wanting to use these? The reason I ask; when I added a FuzeBlock I was going to use a PosiTap and a friend of mine whose opinion on all things electrical I trust very much insisted that Posi's should not be used "willy-nilly" (his words not mine!). He recommended making a jumper. Allow me to quote him:

<snip> ...Like positaps. I loathe them, just like a despise t-taps and any other connection that breaks the insulation, because usually they also break a few strands of wire and I am nothing if not obsessive about the quality of my wiring. I would rather butt splice wires together than use a t-tap, at least there I can use all the strands and wrap the whole mess in adhesive lined heat shrink. I would much rather take the time to make a jumper harness or find a spare spot in the stock fuse box than cut into stock wiring with a connector. 

So I saw his point and we made a jumper to plug into the tail light and connected to the battery. I tried looking through an old album but cannot find a decent picture of it. Just this one:

63c32be82264810d3716e07ca6af7ec5.jpg

Top of the image is an orange plug. you just unplug the tail light and add the jumper in between the existing connection. 

• Member Contributer

Can those jumpers be bought?

• Member Contributer

If you or your buddy would care to fly over to the UK and install that for me, I'd be ever so grateful.  :beer:

Sadly, I lack both the knowledge and talent to do something like that. I just want to power a camera from a switched supply. 

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, JZH said:

You ever get down to London?

Ciao,

Aye, we're up north of Hitchin.

Aha, I found the picture I was looking for earlier:

ec92c51f6b6babaa84ca5ae17fc1ca02.jpg

The orange bit is the jumper to tap into the tail light for switched power. The other one was the battery to FuzeBlock wire. I cannot find the receipt from when I bought the stuff, but I am thinking $6 or $7 in "materials". I wanted to find the receipt so I could give you the part # of the plugs more than the cost though.

• Member Contributer
On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, JZH said:

You ever get down to London?

Ciao,

JZH....thanks for what I assume was going to be an offer to help me tap into a switched live, however it's now sorted. The 800X went in for its 8k service yesterday so I took the wiring for my camera and asked the techie to splice it for me whilst the panels were off, which he duly did.

Cheers.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Yes, I was leading up to that!  Always happy to meet fellow VFRr's.  But I know that riding through London to get to Greenwich isn't everyone's cuppa.  Glad you got it sorted.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, JZH said:

Yes, I was leading up to that!  Always happy to meet fellow VFRr's.  But I know that riding through London to get to Greenwich isn't everyone's cuppa.  Glad you got it sorted.

Ciao,

Well I'm running a rideout on 27 May if you want to come north of the river. RV is in Suffolk, ride to Hunstanton for fish & chips then back via our place for tea & cakes.

You, and any other VFRD'ers would be more than welcome.

Archived