Etch primer vs Filler primer

Steve

Gonna be painting my wheels over the next couple of months. Have already stripped the rear and am in the process of sanding out the casting marks.  I've got my etch primer, top coat and clear coat already, but not sure if I should use a filler primer too to hide any little scratches or if a couple/three coats of etch primer will suffice.  There's not really any scratches on the wheel, but I want the wheels to come out looking the dogs danglies :-)

Building a wheel balancer with my Dad  next month too, got the balancer, just making a wooden frame.

• Member Contributer

Etch primer provides a key for the other paints to adhere to. No matter what you'd need to use it for a "proper job" .

I'd bung a coat on, flat it with some 1200 grit and see what happens. if it doesn't hide the scratches lays some filler primer over the etch primer.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations, your results looks great.  

Kudos on including a detail pic of the toughest part to get even coverage on.  

Would you mind sharing what paint and colour/code# you used for this?  I have an eight spoke in need of re-finishing and custom colour-matched powder coating is turning me off at how much a local shop wants.  

I bought the paint, clear lacquer and etch primer from Halfords (a UK car parts shop - also affectionately referred to as Halfrauds! Due to some of their silly prices)

Etch Primer cost £9.99 - C$16.84  -  US$12.80

Anthracite Wheel Paint - £7.49 - C$12.63 - US$9.59

Bodyshop Lacquer £9.99 - C$16.84  -  US$12.80

It has taken a fair amount of time, but I've not worked on the wheel constantly.  I think the key is preparation. I used a steam cleaner to clean the wheel before I even removed the tyre, watched a load of videos on Youtube, mainly a guy called Windy Urtnowski, he did about 7 or 8 videos on painting a rear wheel from an R1.

I used a dremel style tool to grind some casting marks out of the wheel to give a smoother appearance.

Once all cleaned and sanded using 240 grit wet and dry, I used Panel Wipe (Antisil 770) to clean the surface and tac rags. 

Etch primer, sprayed on and then left for 24 hours before sanding, wipe with tac rag and panel wipe.  three coats of the anthracite paint with 15 minutes between coats, had a slight run in the valleys of the spokes, so left for 24 hours again, before using 800 and 1200 grit wet and dry to sand the runs out, 2 more coats of colour, before leaving for 30 minutes and then start on the clear lacquer.

Now gonna leave the wheel for about a week, the weather has taken a down turn, before fitting the tyre.

Whilst that's drying I'll start on the front wheel :-)

Oh and one last piece of advice, get a good mask for use while painting and cleaning - the fumes from a cleaner I used absolutely bloody stunk and gave me a banging headache!!  My dad has a woodwork shop and uses lacquer so lent me his 3M 6000 Series mask, I've now bought my own with the appropriate filters.

Archived