4th Gen running problems

Well guys I went to start the viffer this morning and it started up on choke and I walked away to put my gear on. Then I heard the bike start to run super rough then proceed to die. Was difficult to get started again, wouldn't take choke, ran super rough, struggled to Rev up at low RPM'S, little bit of smoke out of the pipe, and sounded aweful. Almost like I was on 3 cylinders. I put some seafoam in it and ran it for a few but nothing cleared up. Had to go to work so I just put it back away.

Any ideas what it could be? Anybody have this issue? I unplugged and reconnected the coil pack but that's as far as I got. Carb issues maybe? I ran two tanks of gas through it over the weekend and doesn't ever sit for more than a couple days at max.

Any input is appreciated. 

Thanks, Miles

• Member Contributer

So you started the bike with Full choke, and left the bike idling with the choke on and it started running rough?

Leaving the choke on for anything over 30 seconds is very likely to foul the plugs with excess fuel and cause it to run poorly or stop altogether.  Always use as little choke as possible, and if it runs too slowly, use the idle adjustment to boost it up until the engine is warm.

Well when I came home there was a puddle of gasoline underneath the bike and the motor was soaked. The fuel bowls for cylinder 2 and 4 were just draining gas out like crazy. So I pulled the carbs off to clean them out. Found cylinder 4 was completely full of gasoline, cylinder 3 is suspected to have gasoline as well because the valves have half an inch of gas in them. On one of my valves in cylinder 1 there's a piece of carbon just nestled between the edge of the valve and cylinder wall. How should I go about fishing that out? Do I pull the cylinder head? This just turned in a larger project...

• Member Contributer

Oops.  Yes, needless to say, you're draining the oil.  Sounds like a couple of your floats and/or float valves are stuck/hard.  You might also have a leaking petcock on the tank.  Everything is rebuildable, though.  Good luck.

Ciao,

It needs the everything deal. Putting in a new petcock, fuel filter, ordered a Honda carburator reseal kit, new plugs, oil and filter. Also changing the coolant hoses and cleaning out the thermostat/housing while the valley is exposed. The amount of shit in my carbs is atrocious. Should run like a dream when I'm done.

Already checked when I first got the bike, we're good on the tank thankfully. The main cause of debris in the carbs is someone used a sealant on the float bowls instead of replacing the seals. It deteriorated in the carbs and gunked everything up.

Also I have a stuck float pin that holds the float in place. I've been soaking it trying to get it to release but it will not budge, and I'm trying not to damage the needle seats. I'm about to just drill it out...any other ideas I should try first?

Thanks, Miles

Thankfully I got the float pin out and had to do no drilling. Got everything cleaned up and blown out really nicely. I took note of my main jets size while I was in there and it seemed a little fishy. I made a little diagram that explains my current jetting. One jet is unmarked, not sure if it's factory or not? Just waiting on new seals from Honda, should be here Thursday and I can put it back together. There's a few pics to show you how thrashed everything was.large.IMG_20170511_211328138.jpg.e75d730ff4282cf4d9e1480b0d2817bb.jpglarge.IMG_20170511_211335572.jpg.c6a3caf6986ef75b8eb13b62d9d3ccb8.jpglarge.IMG_20170511_224700025.jpg.e062b72c9ba605bedff77d262c591f3e.jpglarge.IMG_20170511_224727036.jpg.ffc758a0b2e2c8fb0a340961248100e3.jpglarge.IMG_20170514_153807961.jpg.b27d9a1aec80c75b1fbf9c17637f5a7b.jpglarge.IMG_20170514_170519118.jpg.9826f3a7736b4d89951c90061d6333da.jpg

Archived