VFR1200F Crash Protection - recommendations

Skids

• Member Contributer

A wee, low speed off last night on my Crossrunner has forced me to consider fitting some crash protection to my 1200F.

I've yet to take a look at what is available in the UK but thought I'd ask other owners what they have fitted to help minimise damage from a low speed off. Clearly I can't fit the large bars that are fitted to the Crossrunner and other adventure-style bikes but I'm not really sure what else is available that would work to actually minimise expensive damage.

Any pictures or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

edit: had a chance to do some searching. I like the T-Rex frame sliders....does anyone have them fitted and if so, do they come close to interfering with your shin at all? and I also like their engine covers. I also favour the R&G fork sliders due to the connecting bolt through the wheel. Is the rear hub susceptible to impact damage? Unsure whether to get a rear hub slider as well.

Cheers. :beer:

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, andy said:

I installed R&G case covers AFTER a tipover to hid the marks as well as their frame sliders that require cutting a hole in the fairing.

Yeah, I want to avoid that so wont be using R&G frame sliders. I'm not that keen on their engine case covers either - I think they're too much, whereas the T-Rex ones look quite good I think. But that's just me. :beer:

But I do like the R&G fork sliders.

N38-10CWebThumbDis4.jpg

N38-11CDisplay3webthumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Trouble is, HM Customs & Excise will heap huge import duties on a product that is already not cheap (thanks Brexit :mad:). Shame they don't have a UK Distributor.

You're right to install case covers before any tipover.  T-Rex covers do look good.....but probably wouldn't hide the "flaws" on my case cover.

First off.  I'm glad you are okay.  Second, I had thought about buying frame sliders and whatnot after letting my wife ride my 1200 (and having her dump the clutch at WOT from a stop)... I decided against it since I worry that no drill sliders (T-Rex and such) will cause more damage than the save in the event of a low slide.  Since the sliders essentialy turn into a giant lever when sliding down the asphalt, who knows what will give first.

How bad is the damage?  I've still got all the rashed parts that need to go up on eBay... Some parts are worse than others, but I replaced anything that touched pavement (basically whole right side of the bike).  Shipping might make it a little cost prohibitive, but PM me if interested. 

• Member Contributer

I had the best frame sliders available (made by a fellow VFRD member) on my beloved 5th gen, and one snapped off almost immediately during a low speed layover.

Perhaps frame sliders would be beneficial in a driveway tip-over, but it seems that they protect very little in any sort of accident scenario.

Maybe others have had different experiences?

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, ECX585 said:

I had the best frame sliders available (made by a fellow VFRD member) on my beloved 5th gen, and one snapped off almost immediately during a low speed layover.

Perhaps frame sliders would be beneficial in a driveway tip-over, but it seems that they protect very little in any sort of accident scenario.

Maybe others have had different experiences?

I don't think these small sliders are meant to do anything other than help minimise damage from a low speed or stationary off, the main beneficiaries being plastics and bars/levers. The energies involved in higher speed drops mean if the protection does reduce damage to plastics etc, then the forces will likely have travelled through the mounts into the bike frame and distorted that and probably written the bike off. 

The huge bars on my Crossrunner certainly minimised damage to plastics and bars/levers. 

I have the Trex engine covers on my 1200, they dont interfere with anythingand look good. I bought them off ebay.

The RHS engine case looks very vulnerable on the 1200 IMO.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have the T-Rex frame sliders fitted to their 1200F? How easy are they to fit? Do you have the fitting instructions and could send me a copy?

• Member Contributer

Have a look at GSG Technik from Germany

Huntingunns bought these for their VFR800's

http://www.gsg-mototechnik.de/

Page is in German; if you need help (or want me to call them on your behalf) just say the word..

honda-vfr1200f-032.jpg.854eae1858fa79d3fce997852ed957aa.jpg

honda-vfr1200f-029.jpg.e92e92653628f6d8f7d466ead9187fb9.jpg

honda-vfr1200-005.jpg.0aef59f4c04c8305f81a3a6ff56a7730.jpg

h-vfr1200-028.jpg.f3bb62e83530f756dd238433546a1889.jpg

I have no commercial interest here; merely like a company that still manufactures themselves locally.....

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Page is in German; if you need help (or want me to call them on your behalf) just say the word..

I have no commercial interest here; merely like a company that still manufactures themselves locally.....

Thanks Leon. I saw those but was unsure as they seem to butt up against the engine casing.

I'm trying to figure out what they have for my 2000 VFR, and how to order. Help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have a set made by T-Rex, with sidecase protectors

i installed Piaa led fog lamp to the side protectors

20161119_160450.jpg

8 hours ago, Normand said:

20161119_160450.jpg

Normand, how do you like your windshield extension?  I installed a VStream touring shield thinking it would make the VFR as quiet as my Windjammer Goldwing, but it was much noisier with even more blast.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Normand said:

20161119_160450.jpg

Hmm Piaa lights on the slider, never thought of that. What model of Piaa lights is that? I have GSG Technik sliders on my 2010 and we put the full T-Rex slider kit on the 2012 as she had a few low speed offs. Tough for her to keep a 650 pound bike (with bags) from going over once it's started. In both cases we went for sliders that you did not have to cut into the fairing to install.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, andy said:

Normand, how do you like your windshield extension?  I installed a VStream touring shield thinking it would make the VFR as quiet as my Windjammer Goldwing, but it was much noisier with even more blast.

A lot better then the Vstream i had previously !

Vstream was just horrible, returned it after one ride.

The Givi with extention is my cold spring-fall set-up, for summer i use the honda windscreen with the oem extention

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, EhViffer said:

Hmm Piaa lights on the slider, never thought of that. What model of Piaa lights is that? I have GSG Technik sliders on my 2010 and we put the full T-Rex slider kit on the 2012 as she had a few low speed offs. Tough for her to keep a 650 pound bike (with bags) from going over once it's started. In both cases we went for sliders that you did not have to cut into the fairing to install.

The T-Rex sliders are no-cut design, the fog lamps are Piaa 1100 Led

6 hours ago, Normand said:

A lot better then the Vstream i had previously !

Vstream was just horrible, returned it after one ride.

The Givi with extention is my cold spring-fall set-up, for summer i use the honda windscreen with the oem extention

Thanks for validating my experience with VStream.  I wouldn't believe they would foist something that terrible so I thought there must be something wrong with my bike's fairing or me.  To that end I cut holes in the screen to see if the vacuum behind the windshield was causing the spill over.  Helped, but not close to what I was expecting.  Is your winter set up MIRA X screen? By the Honda OEM extension, do you mean the double shield?  Is one more effective than the other?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, andy said:

Thanks for validating my experience with VStream.  I wouldn't believe they would foist something that terrible so I thought there must be something wrong with my bike's fairing or me.  To that end I cut holes in the screen to see if the vacuum behind the windshield was causing the spill over.  Helped, but not close to what I was expecting.  Is your winter set up MIRA X screen? By the Honda OEM extension, do you mean the double shield?  Is one more effective than the other?

Yes it is a MRA X screen on top of a Givi.

The honda touring screen extention is not as effective on blocking wind then the givi-mra, but for summer i want more wind. 

The honda touring screen extention cuts noise down to my acceptable level while providing enough wind.

vfr tt.jpg

• Member Contributer
On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, Normand said:

20161119_160450.jpg

M8, where did you get those pannier protectors please?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Normand said:

Thanks Normand. :beer:

Though I notice they only produce them for the DCT version. I've emailed to ask if they are also compatible with the non-DCT version.

• Member Contributer

I wil fit both the DCT and Manual version.

The attachment point are the same, no difference. 

N38-10LGDisplay5web.jpg

Archived