Coming from an FZ-07

Hi all,

As mentioned in my introduction, I'm a previous VFR800 6th Gen owner and potentially looking to get the 8th Generation model. I've considered the new Ducati Supersport, but the only thing going for it would be the weight and just a little bit more power and torque. I had a chance to test it at Southbay Motorsports during a demo event and it was really nice, but ironically it reminded me of the VFR and hence I started looking for one instead of pursuing the Ducati since it would be cheaper, is more reliable and has better fuel range. Browsing in Craigslist though, I saw a 2014 VFR800. It immediately caught my attention and recalled the days when I had my VFR.  

I currently own a Yamaha FZ-07. Like the VFR, the FZ-07 has a lot of practicality both in riding and maintenance. Good MPG, very flickable, upright riding position, good looking wheels, and good engine.

I love the looks of the new VFR model in the White Pearl color, the sound of the engine and one of my favorite things is the Single sided swing arm and center stand which makes maintaining the chain a breeze. Handling is great once you get moving, but it's not a light bike.

Since I can only own one bike at the moment, I would try to sell my FZ-07 and see if I can acquire the new VFR. 

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience owning the FZ-07 prior to obtaining a VFR800, or if anyone owns both, and letting me know the actual pros and cons of the VFR when compared to the FZ-07. Really like the new VFR but the FZ-07 does everything so well for me already. Only cons I can think about the VFR would be the weight, lose a bit MPG (not that much of a difference) and ease of maintenance and costs. 

Any input, even if there's little to no experience would be appreciated. I'm heading out to a local dealer after work to sit on one that they have in the showroom.

Thanks.

I owned an fz09 before buying my pearl white vfr. I don't miss it. I love  the vfr. The fz09 was awesome , don't get me wrong but I got fed up with wind .  I was super nervous about going to the vfr as well but don't regret it now.  With a pipe that v4 just sounds badass.

• Member Contributer

Interesting that the new SuperSport has piqued your interest in the 8th gen - I was speculating that this might happen in another thread.  Perhaps having the VFR prominently featured, or at least referenced, in almost every new Ducati SuperSport review will give the 8th gen a new lease on life in the USA?

I've never ridden an FZ-07 so I can't provide any meaningful advice to you.  FWIW, the 8th gen VFR is a bit quicker in a straight line when compared to your FZ-07 according to zeroto60times.com, see comparison below.   I agree with you that the Pearl White paint on the 8th gen looks beautiful and having a centerstand is a wonderful thing!

IMG_1472.PNG

18 hours ago, Beardedboxer said:

I owned an fz09 before buying my pearl white vfr. I don't miss it. I love  the vfr. The fz09 was awesome , don't get me wrong but I got fed up with wind .  I was super nervous about going to the vfr as well but don't regret it now.  With a pipe that v4 just sounds badass.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually owned the FZ-09 in liquid graphite color and sold it to get the FZ-07 instead. Love the 07 over the 09.

How do you feel about the different performance/power deliveries from the VFR compared to the FZ-09?

17 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Interesting that the new SuperSport has piqued your interest in the 8th gen - I was speculating that this might happen in another thread.  Perhaps having the VFR prominently featured, or at least referenced, in almost every new Ducati SuperSport review will give the 8th gen a new lease on life in the USA?

I've never ridden an FZ-07 so I can't provide any meaningful advice to you.  FWIW, the 8th gen VFR is a bit quicker in a straight line when compared to your FZ-07 according to zeroto60times.com, see comparison below.   I agree with you that the Pearl White paint on the 8th gen looks beautiful and having a centerstand is a wonderful thing!

IMG_1472.PNG

Yes, the center stand is great! Although for a couple hundred bucks I can get it in the FZ-07 also. But I love the single sided swing arm, both on looks and practicality. 

So in the performance, power department, it has a bit of advantage. I like the FZ-07's low torque though, since I do a lot of city driving. How's the new gen's Low end torque response in the city?

Also would like to know how the handling would compare. FZ-07 is nimble but the stock suspension starts lacking and getting a bit wobbly when you start pushing it, which is not that often. I would expect the VFR would be more stable and planted and able to be better at handling with just a little less flickability. At least that's how I remember my 6th gen. Pretty heavy but handling was great. 

Hach - I seriously considered an FZ-07 before buying the VFR. But I'm not a previous owner of an FZ-07, so I'm not sure if my observations will help. 

You're gaining about 100 lbs with the VFR so loss of flickability is a factor. Counter that with a more firmly planted bike in the VFR. 

The VFR suspension is far from ideal, but better than the FZ, which to me seemed more softly sprung, and ran out of gas when pushed hard, or two up.

The FZ is a bit roomier, just a bit more legroom seat to pegs, and the VFR bars are maybe a bit lower, more of a reach.

The 2014+ VFRs are slimmer than previous VFR's, but being a twin the FZ is narrower between the legs.

The VFR fairing, while small, provides pretty good coverage at speed. Keeping the blast off your chest. As a naked bike the FZ provides no protection from the wind.

Shifting, idle, and power the VFR *feels* smoother to me, but that may be a personal thing.

Without the fairing I'd think the FZ would be easier maintenance, although removing the faring panels is not difficult.

VFR braking is more complex than the FZ (maintenance).

Generally I think in terms of maintenance and reliability, it's a toss up.

MPG slight edge to the FZ

Zero to whatever - performance edge to the VFR (a full second in the quarter).

While the FZ is not a bad looking bike, the VFR is just a beautiful bike in either white or red.

I may be wrong, but I was told by the Yamaha dealer that a center stand on the FZ is a no-go because of where the cat is located.

The digital gauge on the FZ is ok, the gauge cluster on the VFR is much nicer, easier to read. 

If I bought the FZ, I'd want to add a small wind screen (that wasn't an eyesore) to prevent the blast while riding.

The radiator is prone to getting drilled from debris from the front wheel, adding a radiator guard was on my list to buy. 

You'll buy somethings for any bike, but felt the FZ needed a few things, where the VFR were more a "want" of a few things.

I think the VFR is a great bike to grow into and hang on to, where I thought the FZ would be something I'd look to replace at some point.

Consider your riding experience, a lighter bike is easier to handle

Consider your riding environment, urban riding - rarely above 40-50 for short periods the naked bike and wind may not be a big deal.

The VFR with bags can be a very good touring bike over long distances.

Splitting lanes, the FZ would be my choice.

Best of luck on your decision. As different as the bikes are, you're not the only one that had thoughts of both .... 

• Member Contributer

Handling is good, slight understee but that's about it

The suspension can quite easily be set up to suit you, I tried 3 different settings before going with the Dave Thorpe settings from VFRworld 

Its a very tractable engine and pulls well at lower revs, if you want a bit more low down power a Rapid Bike unit will solve that 

4 hours ago, Hachirokutoy said:

Thanks for the feedback. I actually owned the FZ-09 in liquid graphite color and sold it to get the FZ-07 instead. Love the 07 over the 09.

How do you feel about the different performance/power deliveries from the VFR compared to the FZ-09?

You have to shift more to get back into power. The fz09 had power no matter the gear or speed.  The vfr is around 100 pounds more with about the same or a little less hp also less torque than the 09. I don't really miss it though . The vfr motor has a smooth power delivery that pulls pretty good after 6k.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Hachirokutoy said:

Yes, the center stand is great! Although for a couple hundred bucks I can get it in the FZ-07 also. But I love the single sided swing arm, both on looks and practicality. 

So in the performance, power department, it has a bit of advantage. I like the FZ-07's low torque though, since I do a lot of city driving. How's the new gen's Low end torque response in the city?

Also would like to know how the handling would compare. FZ-07 is nimble but the stock suspension starts lacking and getting a bit wobbly when you start pushing it, which is not that often. I would expect the VFR would be more stable and planted and able to be better at handling with just a little less flickability. At least that's how I remember my 6th gen. Pretty heavy but handling was great. 

Low end torque seems more than adequate IMO but I do try to keep mine humming along above 4K rpm.  Were you satisfied with the low end torque of your 6th gen?  According to this review the 8th gen has "improved bottom end power" compared to 6th gen: 

As far as handling goes - I think it handles extremely well especially for a bike weighing just over 500 lbs wet.  Just watch this vid that Smoke posted and it should alleviate any concerns you may have in this area ?

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Low end torque seems more than adequate IMO but I do try to keep mine humming along above 4K rpm.  Were you satisfied with the low end torque of your 6th gen?  According to this review the 8th gen has "improved bottom end power" compared to 6th gen:

Not surprising considering how lacking the 6th gen is down low in stock form. Especially when compared to the previous generation VFR's.

On 5/10/2017 at 6:44 PM, GatorGreg said:

As far as handling goes - I think it handles extremely well especially for a bike weighing just over 500 lbs wet.  Just watch this vid that Smoke posted and it should alleviate any concerns you may have in this area ?

Thanks Gatorgreg. 

Yes, low end torque was good enough, but just like you said, new generation specs mention is mire refined which ch will be a plus for me. 

I really enjoyed the track video. Makes me not doubt the VFR's capabilities and remind of what a good all rounder it is. 

So after all the comments and reviews, I'm going to go for it. I have fallen in love all over again with this bike and looking forward to acquiring it. Still selling my FZ07 and hopefully will have some respectful buyers soon. If I can't sell it, I'll plan an option B. Only difference is that before it was a consideration/thought and now it's a goal. 

Thanks everyone. 

• Member Contributer

A reminder that in my experience, low-end grunt on the 8th gen appeared to be directly and tangibly related to gas octane.

Others have reported no such thing.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome purchase! The dealers near me are trying to unload new 14' and 15' models for 6400$ for base model and 6800$ for the deluxe. I sold my 99 Vfr a month ago and regret it. Now that I see what you had to say I may have to purchase a new vfr. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Tews19 said:

Awesome purchase! The dealers near me are trying to unload new 14' and 15' models for 6400$ for base model and 6800$ for the deluxe. I sold my 99 Vfr a month ago and regret it. Now that I see what you had to say I may have to purchase a new vfr. 

Totally worth a fly 'n ride.

If I had the space I'd pick up a "spare" right now!

• 2 months later...

Glad you love the VFR!  I had a 2007 FZ1 in Black before I got my VFR. In between, a BMW 650 GS. 

I WAS / and AM satisfied with all three. 

My FZ1 was more nimble, leaned further, and was quicker than my 2014 VFR. The VFR is smoother, and to me, a little more aesthetically pleasing. I DO miss the tremendous instant acceleration of the FZ1!  But appreciate the electric smoothness of the VFR. 

I ride twisty country roads most of the time and the FZ1was definitely more fun!  

On 5/23/2017 at 11:01 PM, Rectaltronics said:

Totally worth a fly 'n ride.

If I had the space I'd pick up a "spare" right now!

Ah yeah I bought one right after I posted on here.

Archived