Guages not working on a 1997 750

Timbo750

Hi All

i am looking to return to being a VFR rider, I had a black 95 many years ago and wish i never sold it but that's another story.

I am looking currently at a 1997 750 in reasonable condition except for one issue. The none of the gauges are working except for the speedo, apparently the rectifier has been checked and is ok and it has been like this for a while. 

My question is if anyone knows anything about this being a common problem, it sounds like just a fuse or loose connector issue but if I have to replace the gauge cluster then I will keep looking for another bike.

• Member Contributer

Hi Timbo,

Not a common problem afaik.

• Member Contributer

like Dutchy said, not a common thing..  there is a flexible circuit on the back of the cluster that 2 cluster plugs go into...  I'm guessing like you, that one of those plugs probably isn't connected correctly.

Dutchy and Burns

Thanks for the replies, I am gathering from what you said that I am not likely to have to replace the gauge cluster, if it's just a wiring or plug fault then I can easily fix that. I have read that there are some Rectifier issues but it seems to be related to the 800's, is that right?

• Member Contributer

no..   750's also had the r/r issues, as well as an occasional starter clutch housing cracking.   all-in-all, they are really solid bikes.

• Member Contributer

The words "apparently the rectifier has been checked" could be your clue!

A reg/rec that fails "open" can allow 20v or more into the bike's electrical system, and I can see that doing serious damage to sensitive instruments.  It's either that or the power circuit's failed for the whole panel (check for corroded printed circuit board traces).  Hope it was that, because it's fixable.  And it means the rest of the bike's wiring and electrical components weren't also zapped...

You should definitely check the bike's charging output; make sure it's within spec.

Ciao,

Archived