Michelin Pilot Power RS

Lorne

• Member Contributer

I recently had a set of Michelin Pilot Power RS installed on my '09 VFR. Since 2000 my preferred brand has been Michelin. Several sets of Pilot Sport and Pilot Powers, though the last set were Pilot Road 4. During this time I've also tried a few sets of Dunlop, Pirelli, or Bridgestone but none feel as good to me.

The new PP RS might steer a little slower/heavier than the PP3, and the lack of tread is really striking. Hopefully, Michelin did their maths and they'll prove up to the challenge of wet pavement. So far I like them and am looking forward to see how they fare on my upcoming California trip this summer.

Cycle World review Pilot Power RS

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm pondering this tire myself. I was set on the Pilot Road 4's, but the new technology has intrigued me. I'm also pondering the Dunlop Q3 plus. How did your RS's fare on the trip to California?

• Member Contributer

As it happens, I returned Wednesday afternoon and I really like the Pilot Power RS. Since Y2K, I have liked Michelin Pilot in their various configurations on my VFR750, VFR800, and VTR1000F, and the new RS are more of the same. There is an obvious difference in colour for the two compounds on the rear, and it remains as the miles pile up. The softer edge compound also shows a different wear pattern - see below.

After 6300 km (3900 miles), the majority of that from my ride to the WSB races at Laguna Seca, they still have plenty of life. I expect to get another 2000 km or so before replacement, but then I am not planning another long ride this year.

Never had any rainy days so I can't comment on wet grip.

The RS won't last near as long as PR4; my previous tires were PR4 and they got near twice the mileage. To be honest, I can't say that I benefit from the extra grip but it is nice to have it in your pocket.

Pilot_Power_RS.jpg

Archived