Blinker Relay, bad?

So I was doing my pre season checks and fluid changes and noticed that my front left blinker wasn't on. It won't blink either. It does blink with the hazard lights but that's the only time it works. The fact that it works with the hazard makes me think that it's the relay gone bad. It seems like if the group doesn't or power wire were bad that the light wouldn't work at all. I tried looking at the schematic from the 02-09 service manual but it doesn't match what I have. The schematic shows 3 wires coming from the light while I only have 2. Plus, my relay has more wires than the schematic does. Any thoughts?

2007 R/W/B

• Member Contributer

Hi DonavanJM.

This is strange. Are you saying it is only the front left that only operates when hazard is selected and that the rear left is working normally? IF it was the front and rear left indicator doing the same thing then I would suspect a faulty Turn Switch.

The Turn Signal Relay has only ONE pulsing output. It's the Hazard Switch that directs this output to Both sides when on. In normal ops the Turn Switch directs the Turn Signal Relay output to the Left or Right.

So the Turn Signal Relay has 3 wires, a ground, a positive, and a pulsing output wire. It has nothing to do with left or right Or front and rear, a failed Turn Signal Relay = no flashing lights left and right.

It's also the same wire that feeds the front and rear lights. I just can't see via the schematic that one light only operates in Hazard mode only.

Also, what is the status of the instrument panel turn indicators? Are the both working normally?

More Info.

Cheers.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

Hi DonovanJM.

I'm confused (nothing unusual!!).  Firstly the circuit diagram I looked at was for my own 2007 RWB VFR, even though mine was the "U" version for Australia, I would have assumed the Blinker/Hazard light system would be the same! Your's appears very different.

I'm stuffed if I can find any reference to a 7 pin flasher unit on a 2007 VFR!

Is your bike wiring standard? The only 7 pin blinker devices I can find out there appears to be for LED lights.

Could you have upset any wiring when removing fairings and servicing etc.?

Would be good if we had the exact wiring diagram for your bike.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Grum.

Nope, no ABS. I am very confused as well. Since the diagram I have doesn't match what I have. I did find this relay when searching. It's part 6 on the cowl stay section. 

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f624f870021c54be7d98/cowl-stay

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/p/honda/38301-mej-j50/relay-turn-signal

• Member Contributer

O.K So without a proper circuit diagram, I guess it's time to just bite the bullet. I would be replacing this fellow. With 7 pins it might just perhaps drive each light independently, which would explain the odd situation with both your front indicators. Your hazard relay appears to be doing what it's supposed to.

Cheers.

Grum

image.jpeg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, DonovanJM said:

I ordered one. It should be here on Saturday. I hope it works. It's weird even though the relay has 7 pins the harness only has 6 wires. 

Good luck, keep us posted. You really need to isolate this unit.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, DonovanJM said:

I got the new relay today and it fixed the problem. It's good as new! Thanks for all the help! 

Great news. Now you can get out and enjoy that nice weather.

Cheers.

Grum

Archived