Discontinued 5th gen decals now available

• Member Contributer

Hello all. This has been a long journey. Let me summarize briefly, though, except for Fruit of the Loom, brief is not in my nature.

***This line is the most important line of this thread to anyone interested in or trying to acquire decals for a 5th gen VFR:

Go to this URL, purchase this decal set, and be done with it. These decals work with any color VFR and the only thing they lack is the fade across the letters "VFR". If I knew back in July 2016 what I know now, I would have bought a set of these then. Thanks to member Bweiss of vfrw for sharing this site:

https://www.moto-sticker.com/honda-decal-kits-and-graphics/vfr-stickers/238-honda-vfr-800i-1998-red-version-sticker-set-dp2

If you're like me and you like the fade across the letters "VFR" on the OEM logo, I can have the recreations in the photos below printed for you at $20 per side. There are details in and around the word "Interceptor" that stay with the transfer tape - the end result looks exactly like OEM. This is a right lower side cowl decal from a May 2017 print:

FullSizeRender(1).jpg.ea27bc7de1ffd23c72e6d7f95b2953a5.jpg

IMG_0887.JPG.cb2b0927523ae954e86ca1bddd0905e5.JPG

Here is a right and left set:

IMG_0886.JPG.a337eb729550c2eeeb42fe9c1e4873fc.JPG

*Stop reading here if you don't enjoy documentaries. There is nothing further in this post of any entertainment value.*

The history

- Last July I started trying to purchase replacement decals for my then-just-purchased red 5th gen. The previous owner had removed all the oem decals, except the tank decals which are under clear coat.

- I found that Honda had stopped manufacturing the OEM VFR logo decal located on the lower right cowl. At that time Honda still made the left lower cowl VFR logo decal and I bought one. Here is the leftside OEM decal:

IMG_0891.JPG.19ae864ae8a1dbbf3732fad0c358555c.JPG

- The only difference between the left side decal and the right side decal is the fade, which is dark at the rear of the letters "VFR" and light at the front. I am not very good w photoshop so I had someone use illustrator to reverse the decal's fade and create a right side decal.

- I took the left side OEM decal and my ai file of a right side decal to Fastsigns, a local graphics company that does decals, signs, and vehicle wraps. They kept my decal from October 2016 until April 2017, and attempted periodically to match the red of the OEM decal. The best they could come up with was a selection of Pantone colors, most of which were too orange or too brown, and none of which matched Honda R157 Italian Red.

- Sometime since July 2016, Honda has also stopped producing the left side decal as well.

- I found another decal creator, a bright dude named Kevin at another graphics firm, who quickly said "I'll take the red out of the decal." Brilliant. Exactly like the set of decals that were available from moto-sticker.com all along, except the moto-sticker.com decals have no fade across "VFR". As I stated before, with hindsight being 20/20, I'd have bought the moto-sticker.com set and been happy knowing only vfrd and vfrw members would ever have noticed the absence of fade across "VFR".

That's all folks.

• Member Contributer

How about the Euro (or, ROW, to be more precise) versions?  They say DCBS or something, rather than "Interceptor", but the red and yellow might still be available.  I bought some Y2k blue ones about a year ago (to replace my blue '01's non-fade stickers...)

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi JZH - I didn't catch your observation about the blue decal set you found with the Euro DCBS [The naive American asks what is 'ROW'?]. That's good info. Is DCBS another FLA [Four Letter Acronym] for linked brakes?

How about the Euro (or, ROW, to be more precise) versions?  They say DCBS or something, rather than "Interceptor", but the red and yellow might still be available.  I bought some Y2k blue ones about a year ago (to replace my blue '01's non-fade stickers...)

Ciao,

I believe the small print under the VFR in Europe at least says PGM-FI (ProGraMmed Fuel Injection)

The Dual CBS sticker is on the front fender.

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

So i want a set of stickers for Italian red 5th gen i just bought. How do I make that happen? 

Go to the website he linked to buy them if you can't get them through OEM channels.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, thtanner said:

Go to the website he linked to buy them if you can't get them through OEM channels.

Thanks. I was confused as to who the supplier of the fade style. Fade like the brain fade i have working nightshifts these days.haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK I've gotten a few sets out. Even USPS is bending us little shippers over: an envelope with two wafers of cardboard around two decals costs $13.95 to send USPS Priority. I'm not making anything on these, so considering the extortionistic [not a real adjective] cost of shipping, I'll have to charge $50 for a left and right set. It takes me a week to place the printing order, pick them up [12 miles away] and get them shipped, so if you need them faster, it will be $60 for the set including shipping.

When the printer and I finished the proofing process and a had a nice finished decal, I asked if he would take orders directly from vfrd and vfrw members; he said he was not interested. I am going to approach him again now that a few people have purchased the decals - maybe he'd consider opening a direct channel.

• Member Contributer

Does Honda still sell fairings for the 5th gen?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Does Honda still sell fairings for the 5th gen?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Yes and Honda is pretty proud of them

Lower cowl - $375.00 each for left & right

Upper cowl - $418.00

Rear cowl - unobtanium

Many have chosen to purchase Auctmarts (find them on e bay) plastic and have had varied success, mostly positive with some fitment issues. 

• Member Contributer

Thanks.  Had to buy a right side back in 2000 after a buddy backed into my '98 and knocked it over-definitely wasn't $375 back then!  Better keep it off the tarmac......  These would probably be cheaper.

DSC00181.JPG

Archived