Slip on Exhaust with deepest tone

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Jackireland said:

I tried to load a vid of it running but the clip is to large to be loaded on here..... but ive just took it off because its going to be welded tomorrow.

Although I did weigh it and its just under six pounds

That's too bad - I'm curious to hear what it sounds like.  It definitely reveals much more of the beautiful wheel and cuts about half the weight of the old exhaust so that's great.   It reminds me a bit of the '08-'16 Fireblade exhaust.

Just now, GatorGreg said:

Thats too bad - I'm curious to hear what it sounds like.  It definitely reveals much more of the beautiful wheel and cuts about half the weight of the old exhaust so that's great.   It reminds me a bit of the '08-'16 Fireblade exhaust.

When its welded, I'll try another vid.... but Ive got to be honest , its a lot quieter than I thought it would be  ;-)

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Wow, talk about lip service:laughing6-hehe: When H-D gives up its Screamin' Eagle brand and forbids its dealers, er, I mean boutiques from installing exhaust parts not bearing the correct EPA labeling for use on public roadways, I'll reconsider my total dismissal of that COO's sincerity.

As for banning loud pipes in this country...  {deep breath}

Loud pipes are already banned at the federal level for more than four decades and I can't think of any state offhand that also doesn't have laws on the books meant to address in some way illegal exhaust systems and modifications.  The reason cities are getting more mention now is because the feds only enforce the laws at manufacturing and customs, many of the state laws are not well though-out from the standpoint of ease of enforcement and adjudication, and state inspections (where applicable) are corrupt.  The People have become sick of the lack of tangible enforcement and the difficulties in making useful improvements to state laws, so they are finding satisfaction in compelling their cities and towns to step up their games with their own local laws.  It is surprisingly easy to do.

I hate to break it do you but these things do get voted on and the truth is, the majority vote is against the noise.  I'll even go one further and say that the majority of folks in this country don't care for motorcycles or their riders altogether.  But if you feel strongly about your perceived right to make noise, you should establish better relationships with your elected officials and rally your peers to do the same.  If your stance has merit you should be able to get legislation written to relax the bans on loud pipes.  If nothing else, you can make sure that new legislation meant to address loud pipes is reasonable in nature and work to kill it if it is not.  Or you can just tell everyone you ain't got time fo dat and then complain about the tyranny of the majority.  :wink:

Most of us probably break various laws, particularly when it comes to traffic rules and motor vehicle regulations.  But the "don't the cops have better things to do" routine is really weak.  Feel free to call it a tax if that makes you feel better but nobody is forcing you to break laws.

shut the hell up, nobody got the time for this kind of logical thinking, just let me bitch.

j/k... mostly.... you don't need to shut up ;)

I work in a Honda dealer so I am doing inspections all the time, last year they (NH) changed their noise emission to a much lower number (96). But also moved it to idle, down from 2200rpm to make for easier road side testing. but guess what? now everything passes, bikes that I would have sent away in the past now get a sticker, unless running open header.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, 3dcycle said:

shut the hell up, nobody got the time for this kind of logical thinking, just let me bitch.

I work in a Honda dealer so I am doing inspections all the time, last year they (NH) changed their noise emission to a much lower number (96). But also moved it to idle, down from 2200rpm to make for easier road side testing. but guess what? now everything passes, bikes that I would have sent away in the past now get a sticker, unless running open header.

I'm acquainted with some of the people who pulled that off.

It's an interesting lesson in politics and the importance of organization.

Meanwhile the label law in CA is another lesson about keeping an eye on your legislative calendar.

Which is why I never sell my stock muffler, just in case. I bet I have 4-5 stock systems in my shed. 

If if they only check db at idle that's pointless. I am one who thinks that enforcement of a reasonable level is ok. I mean those HD's with no mufflers and just straight pipes are obnoxious. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Wow, talk about lip service:laughing6-hehe: When H-D gives up its Screamin' Eagle brand and forbids its dealers, er, I mean boutiques from installing exhaust parts not bearing the correct EPA labeling for use on public roadways, I'll reconsider my total dismissal of that COO's sincerity.

As for banning loud pipes in this country...  {deep breath}

Loud pipes are already banned at the federal level for more than four decades and I can't think of any state offhand that also doesn't have laws on the books meant to address in some way illegal exhaust systems and modifications.  The reason cities are getting more mention now is because the feds only enforce the laws at manufacturing and customs, many of the state laws are not well though-out from the standpoint of ease of enforcement and adjudication, and state inspections (where applicable) are corrupt.  The People have become sick of the lack of tangible enforcement and the difficulties in making useful improvements to state laws, so they are finding satisfaction in compelling their cities and towns to step up their games with their own local laws.  It is surprisingly easy to do.

I hate to break it do you but these things do get voted on and the truth is, the majority vote is against the noise.  I'll even go one further and say that the majority of folks in this country don't care for motorcycles or their riders altogether.  But if you feel strongly about your perceived right to make noise, you should establish better relationships with your elected officials and rally your peers to do the same.  If your stance has merit you should be able to get legislation written to relax the bans on loud pipes.  If nothing else, you can make sure that new legislation meant to address loud pipes is reasonable in nature and work to kill it if it is not.  Or you can just tell everyone you ain't got time fo dat and then complain about the tyranny of the majority.  :wink:

Most of us probably break various laws, particularly when it comes to traffic rules and motor vehicle regulations.  But the "don't the cops have better things to do" routine is really weak.  Feel free to call it a tax if that makes you feel better but nobody is forcing you to break laws.

No, it isn't weak, it's pragmatic and there are so many laws that A)  the cops don't even know all of them and B)  They tend to enforce the ones that don't require much work and raise the most money.  I'm in a position to know given who I know.  This certainly isn't worth arguing about at any level.  I just find it kind of WTF-ish that Harley's COO is asking people not to put on loud pipes.  I guess he can tell "the authorities" that he tried.  Harley tried to patent "their" sound and failed.  The most noise from traffic is the noise from tires rolling on pavement.  That's been proven for decades.  It's getting worse with new tread designs.  Let's ban tires and pavement....  

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

That makes perfect sense.  After all, the law came from career politicians most likely.  "Career politician".....I don't like that concept.  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Bent said:

That makes perfect sense.  After all, the law came from career politicians most likely.  "Career politician".....I don't like that concept.  

Precisely ..... planning a "career in politics" is shorthand for "I don't care who's ass I have lick to avoid real work"

I don't mind a little exhaust noise, but I live on a cut-through that a lot of people use to get to a main highway and have to listen to idiots flying by with straight pipes (or damn near it) all day long. Sure, there are a few Hardleys and a sport bike or two, maybe a newer Camaro or Mustang here and there, but most of them are shitty, redneck trucks. I'm a bit of a redneck myself, but it's ridiculous when my walls shake while you drive past. It damn sure isn't tire noise. And really, I think most of them would be bearable if they weren't jamming down on the gas (I live by a slight bend, but any curves freak rednecks out and they have to nearly stop while crossing the centerline, then punch it again.) I can't even hear my bike over them if I'm close enough, and they're not uncommon. Everyone just loves to hate bikes, though.

Another noise coming from Hardleys is their radio. Some bagger drove past last week and I could understand the words to his music for a good hundred yards after he passed, the noise a good bit longer. WTF is that about?

• Member Contributer

Agreed, the H-D COO's pleas are the WTF moment of the year.

Roadway noise contributes immensely to the overall noise floor, along with things like A/C in the summer, construction activity in the daytime, etc.  If you want to talk about traffic noise exposure quantified as a product of sound pressure levels by sum total of hours of the day, it suppose it may possibly be described as "the most", depending on the thoroughfare in question.  But that constant hum, grind and whoosh is not what wakes people up, interrupts their work, halts their conversations and instantly raises their blood pressures.  It's the non-constant, far more profound noises from things like horns, un-muffled vehicles and jake brakes, etc. that gets many folks pissed off enough to complain.

To be clear, I understand the general disdain about politicians.  It's not entirely unjustified.  But most elected officials that I know, at least at the more local levels (Council, Assembly, that sort of stuff) have generally good intentions and work as hard or harder than many of us.  Like any other profession, there are gonna be folks who are useless, ineffective or just in it for what they can scam.  They are humans and humans are fallible and subject to the same weaknesses as anyone else.  But the good news is that unlike a bad cop for example, where the only way to get rid of one is to pray they're struck by a semi, attentive constituents can vote out a dipshit.  I know this for a fact - my peers and I have done so here in NYC.

It is not reasonable to expect a politician to be an expert on every subject he or she faces, however good their intentions.  So let's talk about NH...  A bunch of whiny folks yelling at the world to get off their collective lawns gets together and demands of their elected officials that something be done about those nasty "bikers" and their loud pipes.  And maybe it's not fair to call them whiny.  I know who they are.  Some of them moved from the big cities to get away from the constant onslaught of noise, only to end up spending every summer day listening to bike after bike after bike, punctuated by some modified sports cars and so on, a huge number of which are piloted by owners who love their own sound so much that they can't imagine why everyone in the world doesn't also love it.  And some of those pilots think "well it's only for a moment".  They don't realize that to someone who lives near a road frequented by sporting vehicles, it's an all day long succession of aggravating moments.  So anyway, this group demands something be done and the local bikers get wind of it.  This is when that lesson about organization and representation comes in.  The folks angrily waving their canes don't know a decibel from a barbell, much less anything practical about internal combustion engines.  They just wanted a law that was "enforceable".  So NH's bikers, alarmed by the possibility of repeatedly getting expensive tickets for their illegal exhaust components, get together and help educate their elected officials.  LOL.  You know the rest.

Now circling back to cops and to complaints... there are folks who are under the impression that cops react to (or are supposed to react to) every violation of every law they happen to witness.  And of course everyone has their pet peeves about the laws other folks break but don't think the ones they break are a particularly big deal.  But anyway, that just ain't how it works.  Aside of how cops as individuals have their own pet peeves and views on laws they think aren't so important, and the thing about disliking the ridiculous amount of paperwork they face, and no, they don't know all the laws, they are given instructions on a day to day basis about certain issues upon which to focus.  That is a by-product of complaints and resulting pressure from those politicians who have the unenviable job of crap magnet for every whiny person in their district with an issue.  Then factor in ticket writing expectations.  Our police call those expectations "performance goals".  Every department has them.  And every cop will grin when he or she tells you "we don't have quotas - we can write as many tickets as we want."  But every cop will also tell you that failure to achieve or exceed those goals ends badly when they want promotions and favorable assignments.

So in their morning briefings, if one day, week or month cops are instructed to write tickets for a specific thing aside of the usual speed enforcement, etc., that's what they're gonna do.  If they're writing tickets specifically for bikes with loud pipes it's either because the Captain got woken up at 430am by his a-hole neighbor revving his bike, or because the department is getting complaints about it from the folks whom they serve and protect.  So the answer is yeah, the cops do have "better things to do" and we have become one of them:sad:

I can't speak for everywhere but if per-ticket revenue potential was the primary goal, we could make a killing on tickets for illegal horn use.  $350 per violation, up to $1050 if the person cited fights and loses, additional penalties for vehicles regulated by the TLC, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.  Yet out of the million or so traffic violations written by the NYPD every year, that makes up only around seventy.

In the end we're all gonna do our thing but downplaying the importance of the laws on the basis of our choice to break them is a non-starter to me, and calling the fair enforcement of those laws a "tax" is silly except perhaps in jest, even to someone like me who is so justifiably soured on the systemic corruption of law enforcement in this country.  Choose your poison.  The loud pipes by and large are not legal, and have not been legal for decades.  That folks have been getting away with it and continue to get away with it wholesale doesn't make it legal.

• Member Contributer
40 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

Agreed, the H-D COO's pleas are the WTF moment of the year.

Roadway noise contributes immensely to the overall noise floor, along with things like A/C in the summer, construction activity in the daytime, etc.  If you want to talk about traffic noise exposure quantified as a product of sound pressure levels by sum total of hours of the day, it suppose it may possibly be described as "the most", depending on the thoroughfare in question.  But that constant hum, grind and whoosh is not what wakes people up, interrupts their work, halts their conversations and instantly raises their blood pressures.  It's the non-constant, far more profound noises from things like horns, un-muffled vehicles and jake brakes, etc. that gets many folks pissed off enough to complain.

To be clear, I understand the general disdain about politicians.  It's not entirely unjustified.  But most elected officials that I know, at least at the more local levels (Council, Assembly, that sort of stuff) have generally good intentions and work as hard or harder than many of us.  Like any other profession, there are gonna be folks who are useless, ineffective or just in it for what they can scam.  They are humans and humans are fallible and subject to the same weaknesses as anyone else.  But the good news is that unlike a bad cop for example, where the only way to get rid of one is to pray they're struck by a semi, attentive constituents can vote out a dipshit.  I know this for a fact - my peers and I have done so here in NYC.

It is not reasonable to expect a politician to be an expert on every subject he or she faces, however good their intentions.  So let's talk about NH...  A bunch of whiny folks yelling at the world to get off their collective lawns gets together and demands of their elected officials that something be done about those nasty "bikers" and their loud pipes.  And maybe it's not fair to call them whiny.  I know who they are.  Some of them moved from the big cities to get away from the constant onslaught of noise, only to end up spending every summer day listening to bike after bike after bike, punctuated by some modified sports cars and so on, a huge number of which are piloted by owners who love their own sound so much that they can't imagine why everyone in the world doesn't also love it.  And some of those pilots think "well it's only for a moment".  They don't realize that to someone who lives near a road frequented by sporting vehicles, it's an all day long succession of aggravating moments.  So anyway, this group demands something be done and the local bikers get wind of it.  This is when that lesson about organization and representation comes in.  The folks angrily waving their canes don't know a decibel from a barbell, much less anything practical about internal combustion engines.  They just wanted a law that was "enforceable".  So NH's bikers, alarmed by the possibility of repeatedly getting expensive tickets for their illegal exhaust components, get together and help educate their elected officials.  LOL.  You know the rest.

Now circling back to cops and to complaints... there are folks who are under the impression that cops react to (or are supposed to react to) every violation of every law they happen to witness.  And of course everyone has their pet peeves about the laws other folks break but don't think the ones they break are a particularly big deal.  But anyway, that just ain't how it works.  Aside of how cops as individuals have their own pet peeves and views on laws they think aren't so important, and the thing about disliking the ridiculous amount of paperwork they face, and no, they don't know all the laws, they are given instructions on a day to day basis about certain issues upon which to focus.  That is a by-product of complaints and resulting pressure from those politicians who have the unenviable job of crap magnet for every whiny person in their district with an issue.  Then factor in ticket writing expectations.  Our police call those expectations "performance goals".  Every department has them.  And every cop will grin when he or she tells you "we don't have quotas - we can write as many tickets as we want."  But every cop will also tell you that failure to achieve or exceed those goals ends badly when they want promotions and favorable assignments.

So in their morning briefings, if one day, week or month cops are instructed to write tickets for a specific thing aside of the usual speed enforcement, etc., that's what they're gonna do.  If they're writing tickets specifically for bikes with loud pipes it's either because the Captain got woken up at 430am by his a-hole neighbor revving his bike, or because the department is getting complaints about it from the folks whom they serve and protect.  So the answer is yeah, the cops do have "better things to do" and we have become one of them:sad:

I can't speak for everywhere but if per-ticket revenue potential was the primary goal, we could make a killing on tickets for illegal horn use.  $350 per violation, up to $1050 if the person cited fights and loses, additional penalties for vehicles regulated by the TLC, and it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.  Yet out of the million or so traffic violations written by the NYPD every year, that makes up only around seventy.

In the end we're all gonna do our thing but downplaying the importance of the laws on the basis of our choice to break them is a non-starter to me, and calling the fair enforcement of those laws a "tax" is silly except perhaps in jest, even to someone like me who is so justifiably soured on the systemic corruption of law enforcement in this country.  Choose your poison.  The loud pipes by and large are not legal, and have not been legal for decades.  That folks have been getting away with it and continue to get away with it wholesale doesn't make it legal.

uda89.jpg

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

LOL.  Too much time on my hands.  And too much experience to relate.

Oooh that was a great song!  I saw Styx on this same tour in Orlando - hard to believe it was 21 years ago!  Time flies :tongue:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rectaltronics said:

Oh sure but do you have the etched Paradise Theater LP?

Yes I do!  I just don't have a turntable anymore to play it on :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I'm very surprised that someone isn't running a straight pipe (no purchased slip-on) on a VFR or just no muffler or pipe at all.  

Some people talk too loud too.  If want to find an example of this just

TRY to go experience a "quiet" relaxing meal out that you think you can enjoy and there is ALWAYS someone in there talking at the same level of dbs that he would at the Super Bowl stadium.  

It's a part of Murphy's law.  Every "nice quiet place" to eat has a loudmouth that apparently thinks everyone wants to know his infallible knowledge of useless crap.  A lot of people here

need to go on a quiet VFR ride away from traffic and out in the countryside.  I'll be doing that shortly.  Would you rather be on a VFR forum or riding a VFR?    

I'm very surprised that someone isn't running a straight pipe (no purchased slip-on) on a VFR or just no muffler or pipe at all.

I don't do it because it would just look squidly, but it's honestly not nearly as loud as you'd think. Don't know if it's the pencil headers, the cat, or both, but it'd still be inaudible next to an idling Hardley.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jhenley17 said:

I don't do it because it would just look squidly, but it's honestly not nearly as loud as you'd think. Don't know if it's the pencil headers, the cat, or both, but it'd still be inaudible next to an idling Hardley.

Yeah you can hear it with no muffler at about the 1 minute mark of OneLife's vid below and it doesn't seem to sound much louder than it does with the Delk with no baffle :tongue:

• Member Contributer

I'll just stick with what I have.  I wear ear plugs so it doesn't really matter to me.  

Archived