Sheet Aluminum Undertray...coating?

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

20161124_202850.thumb.jpg.27c65af266c80fcad0abde68715237d6.jpg

I've re-bent my FP's prototype undertray to fit closer to the tyre since this photo was taken, but the issue is still the same: I don't want to leave it bare metal, so what's the best way to coat it?  The front of it bends back up to hold the battery, so it's quite a big piece of metal.  Paint?  Powder coat?  Annodise? 

Cheers,

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Never mind the coating I'd be more worried about that ECU being exposed to road crap & spray from the tyre during rain etc.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Never mind the coating I'd be more worried about that ECU being exposed to road crap & spray from the tyre during rain etc.

Thats the rectifier not the ECU.

Underbody spray paint would be sufficient rather than the cost of powder coat or anodising, even if you can powder coat aluminium?  I can see a tyre hugger but a stone flung up by the tyre would chip the powder coating.

• Member Contributer

I think Mohawk means the ECU, which you can see peeking out between the cowl and the left hand side of the subframe.  It's a good point: I should make some sheet alloy infill pieces to protect the leccy bits.  But then I'd still have to figure out what to coat them with...

(The huge finned thing is a series reg/rec from a 2014 Suzuki DL1000--it's there not so much for cooling, but because it won't fit anywhere else!)

Decisions, decisions...  I'm sure I could powder coat the sheet aluminum--size isn't really an issue with powder, as it would be with annodising.  So you can certainly powder coat aluminium (it sticks to wheels fairly well), but I haven't seen very many examples of powder coated sheet metal. 

Ceramic coating?  I haven't found anyone around here who does it, but nice to see that as an option.

Underbody coating is a good idea.  I will keep it in mind.  But, as I'm going to have some other parts powder coated anyway, I will probably throw the undertray in when I visit.  (And the infill pieces I now have to make, LOL.)

Cheers,

Archived