Opinion Request: 2nd bike to compliment the viffer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
2 hours ago, NodakVFR said:

Just get a "different" VFR. ;-)

IMG_0723.JPG

Wow - great pic Nodak!  I've never seen a pic where you could so clearly compare the lines of the 7th and 8th gens.

On 2017-5-5 at 10:02 PM, SubjectArc said:

Hi guys and girls , I have a 2015DLX in white. And I love it. It's going to be my forever bike. However, I'm thinking to get the VFR a stablemate. 

The "problem" I'm having is the VFR is perhaps the most jack of all trades bike I think I could've picked. But finding a moto that fulfills a niche that my VFR won't in some fashion fulfill is something I've been pondering with alot of my moto-buddies, to little resolution. I am leaning towards something faster, like a s1000r or a 1290r. But even if I can convince a dealership to test one or both of these motos, it's doubtful I'll be able to fully examine its livability especially with a naked on longer-ish highway runs required to get to the fun roads around New Hampshire. In any event, almost all options are on the table, so long as its not a dirtbike or a H-D or one of its cruiser cousins. 

So, if the 8th Gen is chocolate, what would be the peanut butter to go with it, in the members' esteemed opinion? Thanks, and happy weekend! 

PS- will move this to the general motorcycle forum if needed, but this question is specifically geared for 8th Gen owners' opinion 

How about a Tuono? Having come to the VFR from a Falco (and a Shiver, Mille, VTR, SV...) you could have a whole different kind of fun :) Slightly more insane but takes to twisties or track exceptionally well

4 hours ago, Katie said:

How about a Tuono? Having come to the VFR from a Falco (and a Shiver, Mille, VTR, SV...) you could have a whole different kind of fun :) Slightly more insane but takes to twisties or track exceptionally well

That's a great idea! I have zero experience with Aprillia, but just online window shopping, they look exactly like that I'd be looking for. If I had to make a short list, it'd be the Yamaha FZ-10, BMW S1000r, and the Aprillia Tuono 1100. 

Just from your screen name I'm making the assumption you're female. My girlfriend is getting into riding and eyeballing the VFR in a seriously interested way. Problem is, she has a 28 "inseam. If you have that issue, do you have any suggestions for mitigating the short leg situation? 

Thanks! 

I vote for a Grom.  They are a blast to ride and allow for an endless amount of license revoking stupid shit.... Plus they are cheap as dirt.

If you cannot keep up with your buddies on your Gen8, a faster bike might NOT be the answer... Unless you are in North Dakota or Florida where corners are some sort of urban legend...

2 hours ago, SubjectArc said:

That's a great idea! I have zero experience with Aprillia, but just online window shopping, they look exactly like that I'd be looking for. If I had to make a short list, it'd be the Yamaha FZ-10, BMW S1000r, and the Aprillia Tuono 1100. 

Just from your screen name I'm making the assumption you're female. My girlfriend is getting into riding and eyeballing the VFR in a seriously interested way. Problem is, she has a 28 "inseam. If you have that issue, do you have any suggestions for mitigating the short leg situation? 

Thanks! 

Right guess on the girly bit but unfortunately (for any kind of advice) I'm one of the tall ones at 5"9"/175cm. The VFR is one of my shortest bikes! Has she tried one out yet? If it's a just a bit out of range, she could try a pair of Daytona Lady Star (or similar boots). I got a pair for when I had a Benelli TreK as it was just a bit too tall for comfort

My wife asked if she could just try out my VFR. She got a very quick, unwavering "no." Besides it being too beautiful, I'd be scared to death putting her on something that heavy and powerful.

Tuono is the way to go, from what my imagination tells me.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

Right guess on the girly bit but unfortunately (for any kind of advice) I'm one of the tall ones at 5"9"/175cm. The VFR is one of my shortest bikes! Has she tried one out yet? If it's a just a bit out of range, she could try a pair of Daytona Lady Star (or similar boots). I got a pair for when I had a Benelli TreK as it was just a bit too tall for comfort

This is excellent advice regarding the boots. She has a nice pair of Dainese Paranas but I suspect I can convince her onto some taller boots when it comes time for her to set off on her own. The bike is enough out of her reach that she'll need something. I'm hoping a seat shave off the height and width will get her enough of the way that some different boots can complete the fitment. Would really like to avoid messing with the suspension. Thanks for the great idea!

3 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

My wife asked if she could just try out my VFR. She got a very quick, unwavering "no." Besides it being too beautiful, I'd be scared to death putting her on something that heavy and powerful.

Tuono is the way to go, from what my imagination tells me.

The VFR for the lady is definitely something for her to "grow" into. It's very likely she'll be getting a R3 for Christmas to develop her skills. 

But afterwards... lets just say I have an excellent list of bar, frame, fork, and exhaust sliders sitting in a wish list for when she's ready for the step up :wink:

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, SubjectArc said:

The VFR for the lady is definitely something for her to "grow" into. It's very likely she'll be getting a R3 for Christmas to develop her skills. 

But afterwards... lets just say I have an excellent list of bar, frame, fork, and exhaust sliders sitting in a wish list for when she's ready for the step up :wink:

My wife started on a ER-6n (naked Ninja 650) and hated it. She got on her 5th gen and fell in love on the first ride. The VFR is just.. predictable and linear. Brakes are forgiving, clutch is hydraulic so even if you have the bars turned it acts the same, it's well balanced, etc. I almost wish I'd have just started her on the 5th gen.

1 minute ago, thtanner said:

My wife started on a ER-6n (naked Ninja 650) and hated it. She got on her 5th gen and fell in love on the first ride. The VFR is just.. predictable and linear. Brakes are forgiving, clutch is hydraulic so even if you have the bars turned it acts the same, it's well balanced, etc. I almost wish I'd have just started her on the 5th gen.

Was there a substantial size difference between the two? Because the main thinking behind the R3 is she feels it's of a more manageable size than something larger like the VFR, and therefore more confidence inspiring to start on.  

But Katie does bring up some great ideas about shoes helping! 

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, SubjectArc said:

R3 would be an awesome starter bike - I really enjoyed my test ride of one as seen in vid below ?  Yamaha screwed up IMO by not offering ABS on the '15 and '16s but at least they made it available for '17.

We're going to look at the R3 Monday. She's leaning more towards the Kwak, though, just from styling. I sat on the R3 about a year ago and it almost feels like a toy after riding bigger bikes. Light and very skinny between your legs.

30 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

We're going to look at the R3 Monday. She's leaning more towards the Kwak, though, just from styling. I sat on the R3 about a year ago and it almost feels like a toy after riding bigger bikes. Light and very skinny between your legs.

I'd be interested in your opinion on the R3's shifting impressions. I hopped on a friend's year or two old Ninja 300ABS and found the shifting experience to be.... jarring. 

Windering if it's just her bike or more of a issue with materials used in a more economical segment of the market! 

Having ridden both over 25 years i think the perfect stablemate to a VFR is, quite certainly, a Hawk NT650, a more-compact, lighter, lower, great-handling, alloy frame with swinger, masterpiece of a Honda middle-weight ! 

:wink:

WB_29 whHsiCL4a.jpg

0WB_18hkside7%b.jpg

• Member Contributer
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, Rectaltronics said:

If I had the space (and money) what I would really like in my stable is a VFR, a CBR-600 and a Gold Wing.

There's also a side of me that wants a little 2-stroke Aprilia.

The 'Wing can be surprisingly sporty, even if it is a Barcalounger on two wheels.  Doubters should feel free to search YouTube for "yellow wolf gold wing".

When I was shopping for my 8th Gen VFR I was also looking at Gold Wings.  But I do a LOT of lane-splitting here and was nervous about the girth of the machine.  I bought the VFR and side cases - which stay on pretty much all the time - and it turns out those side cases make the VFR wider than a 'Wing!  Oh well.  The good news is I still manage to squeeze through some impressively tight spots in traffic.  It tends to scare the crap out of many stateside drivers, who aren't as comfortable in close quarters as drivers in Yurp and Asia.  But it works.

I went with a Wing for the second bike.  Turns out that you are right the Wing's ass is smaller than a VFR with bags.  Took me a while to suppress the big bike bias and decide on buying one. I actually rode one instead of just reading comments from folks who had never even done a spin on one.  After all it is a second bike and different from the VFR...that is the point right?

And it splits fine.  Actually in some ways it is better than my VFR as the riding position is more suitable for visibility and the "whiskers" mirrors let you know you can get by.

gallery_2144_2760_144666.jpg

Just so many nice bikes out now with nice suspension, chassis, brakes, engines comfortable ergos....hard to nail down which one but the Goldwing F6B would be great for two up  cruising around with tunes no less!!    Hopefully one day I can pick one up and have a nice garage to put it in.

I don't know why anyone would buy a Harley. Someone else can do it better for less money, and you don't have to run the risk of being thought of as a Harley die-hard idiot that loves open pipes and includes visiting the local dealer for more overpriced merchandise on every trip.

• Member Contributer

Different strokes for different folks.....

During the 19 years I owned my 4th gen, I too would get disparaging comment on redslut once in awhile.  

Simply didnot give a toss and I reckon HD owners do neither :goofy:

• Member Contributer
On 5/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, timmythecop said:

Goose in the henhouse.

20170510_201529.jpg

SEX

2 hours ago, LucaBrasi said:

Anyone buy a naked Harley as a second bike to the VFR?

I'm thinking something in the Sportster family like the 1200 Custom

I think if I were to ever get an H-D it would be a blacked out V-Rod Muscle. *Very* respectable performance, and minimal branding of the sort that elicits eyerolling. Dutchy is correct though, one should always get what they like, and not worry so much about others' perception. 

That being said, I suspect I shall never be "cool" enough for a H-D. :goofy:

Have you seen the Yamaha Stryker? Now, there's a cruiser I think I would enjoy. :cheerleader:

3 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I don't know why anyone would buy a Harley. Someone else can do it better for less money, and you don't have to run the risk of being thought of as a Harley die-hard idiot that loves open pipes and includes visiting the local dealer for more overpriced merchandise on every trip.

You have a point - The Yamaha Bolt is a clone of the 883 that's an all around better bike, and I'd take a Gold Wing long before an HD bagger.

The biggest problem I've always had with an HD is the whole "lifestyle" BS. It's not a lifestyle - it's a motorcycle. Being inked, with a mullet is not a requirement to ride a particular bike ....

My point is this, if the OP was looking for a "second bike" you couldn't get much more different than the VFR, than a Sportster variant.

Mullet and ink optional :beer: 

Subject - The V-Rod is a really nice bike, and the Porsche designed engine is supposed to be outstanding. That said, it's a lot of coin for a one trick pony.

Archived