Opinion Request: 2nd bike to compliment the viffer

Hi guys and girls , I have a 2015DLX in white. And I love it. It's going to be my forever bike. However, I'm thinking to get the VFR a stablemate. 

The "problem" I'm having is the VFR is perhaps the most jack of all trades bike I think I could've picked. But finding a moto that fulfills a niche that my VFR won't in some fashion fulfill is something I've been pondering with alot of my moto-buddies, to little resolution. I am leaning towards something faster, like a s1000r or a 1290r. But even if I can convince a dealership to test one or both of these motos, it's doubtful I'll be able to fully examine its livability especially with a naked on longer-ish highway runs required to get to the fun roads around New Hampshire. In any event, almost all options are on the table, so long as its not a dirtbike or a H-D or one of its cruiser cousins. 

So, if the 8th Gen is chocolate, what would be the peanut butter to go with it, in the members' esteemed opinion? Thanks, and happy weekend! 

PS- will move this to the general motorcycle forum if needed, but this question is specifically geared for 8th Gen owners' opinion 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I think a dual-sport like the CRF250L (or Yamaha WR250R) would be the perfect compliment to a sports-tourer.  I know I would have a blast commuting in the suburban jungle on one of these as well as exploring some bumpy roads and easy trails.   They are fuel injected and relatively inexpensive too compared to the Yamaha.  Haven't ridden one yet but I've got some good saddle time on one at the local dealer LOL.  Would look REALLY nice in my garage parked next to my Interceptor.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Pjcliffo said:

Triumph street triple was a good partner for my Honda.

I had the Street Triple R for 2 years. Sold it in favor of a second VFR. Great bike, just nothing does it quite like a Viffer! Really tore up canyons, though. Top notch suspension from the factory.

I bought my daughter a CB500x and it has become my around town bike. I've ridden it on all day rides, down dirt roads, to the store, you name it. Not as fast as the VFR but I'm slowing down at my age anyway. I can ride it with the faster crowd and still show up in time for lunch.  Good luck! Shopping is usually more fun than buying.

Tough question. Do you want sportier, more comfort, better adventure capabilities, etc.

I wanted sportier, but if comfort had been my goal, I would have went with an FJR or a Concours. I'm not into adventure riding, so I don't have any opinion there. I'm not really into straight line speed either, but if I were, a ZX-14 or Hyabusa, either one can be made fairly comfortable. 

I think I'd do something similar to Greg - off-road/dual sport bike like an XR650L or full on ADV/BOB like an Africa Twin...   :)

I am going the other direction and exploring the low horsepower option.I am picking up what was a VFR in the 70's this weekend. (minus the xmas tree)

18217083_10213027470501179_1363132879_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Take your pick....

Keep it "in the family"

Bassie.thumb.jpg.4eb5087dbedbb80459016be4cc84f26f.jpg

12 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

For another street bike, I'd have an arm-stretching naked or supersport 1000 to cut loose on when I'm not planning on 200+ miles.

8 hours ago, 01ragtop said:

Tough question. Do you want sportier, more comfort, better adventure capabilities, etc.

I wanted sportier, but if comfort had been my goal, I would have went with an FJR or a Concours. I'm not into adventure riding, so I don't have any opinion there. I'm not really into straight line speed either, but if I were, a ZX-14 or Hyabusa, either one can be made fairly comfortable. 

Wow, great feedback, was not expecting such a response. 

These two replies probably come closest to my ponderings. To me, the VFR is a hair shy of sublimely comfortable for me, so I'm not yet ready for the "big and easy" bikes at 30. 

i think I'm looking for something substantially faster and nimbler than my VFR. I'd prefer to not have to tie myself in knots like my Ducati rider buddies though. 

To me, this says a naked. Like the BMW s100r or the KTM Superduke 1290r. 

Are there any opinions on living with these bikes before I start heading to dealerships for discussions? 

3 minutes ago, SubjectArc said:

These two replies probably come closest to my ponderings. To me, the VFR is a hair shy of sublimely comfortable for me, so I'm not yet ready for the "big and easy" bikes at 30. 

i think I'm looking for something substantially faster and nimbler than my VFR. I'd prefer to not have to tie myself in knots like my Ducati rider buddies though. 

Are there any opinions on living with these bikes before I start heading to dealerships for discussions? 

not dissing you view but I find the VFR is fast enough for road use so unless you're gonna take it on a track consider slower. VFR is more than enough to keep up with my mates on faster bikes but maybe the roads in US aren't policed quite as vigorously as they are in UK. I find the W650 (a  whopping 43hp) can be red-lined all day long causing huge grins but without troubling the local constabulary too  much

15 minutes ago, vtwindr said:

not dissing you view but I find the VFR is fast enough for road use so unless you're gonna take it on a track consider slower. VFR is more than enough to keep up with my mates on faster bikes but maybe the roads in US aren't policed quite as vigorously as they are in UK. I find the W650 (a  whopping 43hp) can be red-lined all day long causing huge grins but without troubling the local constabulary too  much

No diss taken my friend! Actually, this reader considers future track conversion utility to be a major plus. 

You did hit the nail on the head regarding roads. In my little corner of the US, cruising speeds typically run 130-135kph. If I had the opportunity to ride mostly urban or B roads, I would be all over a bike like your W650 or a supermoto. Beautiful bikes you have btw! 

10 hours ago, Samuelx said:

I think I'd do something similar to Greg - off-road/dual sport bike like an XR650L or full on ADV/BOB like an Africa Twin...   :)

+1 I was thinking of selling the VFR and getting an adventure bike, but my current feeling is to keep the VFR and get a CRF / DR / DRZ.  Actually I'm going to look at some today.  I already checked out the new CRF250L's, normal and Rally.  The Rally looks sweet, but it's kind of heavy (650ish).  Not sure I would take it on long enough rides to make the fairing worth it.  Maybe a DR-Z400S if I don't go with a CRF.  I think I could even be satisfied with a little DR200S (and the price can't be beat).  My only worry there is it wouldn't have enough oomph to get me to the dirt roads, aand I fear that on the CRF's too.

13 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

13 hours ago, thtanner said:

I had the Street Triple R for 2 years. Sold it in favor of a second VFR. Great bike, just nothing does it quite like a Viffer! Really tore up canyons, though. Top notch suspension from the factory.

13 hours ago, Pjcliffo said:

Funnily enough, the VFR and the Street Triple were actually the final contestants before I decided to bring home the VFR. They are really great bikes. 

34 minutes ago, RC79Scott said:

+1 I was thinking of selling the VFR and getting an adventure bike, but my current feeling is to keep the VFR and get a CRF / DR / DRZ.  Actually I'm going to look at some today.  I already checked out the new CRF250L's, normal and Rally.  The Rally looks sweet, but it's kind of heavy (650ish).  Not sure I would take it on long enough rides to make the fairing worth it.  Maybe a DR-Z400S if I don't go with a CRF.  I think I could even be satisfied with a little DR200S (and the price can't be beat).  My only worry there is it wouldn't have enough oomph to get me to the dirt roads, aand I fear that on the CRF's too.

I think eventually once work/life circumstances allow, I'll eventually get something like this for long distance adventuring. I can't see myself ever being "cool" enough for a Harley Davidson, so maybe a R1200GS is what I'd age into, but I do get the perks of long range touring. Better still if it can handle less than perfect terrain :-) 

The Tuono 1100 and ugly FZ-10 are what have my eye right now. The noise and power coming from the Yam would be enough for me to get past the looks. I'm still trying to get a good look at a new Superduke as well, but they're all just dreams for me if I'm keeping the VFR. I overlooked the S1000R just because it gets lost in the sea of even-firing I4s.

4 hours ago, SubjectArc said:

I don't have either of the two bikes you mentioned, but I've done 300 plus miles a day on an old ZX-7R which is similar to the Ducati riding position, and I'm in the planning stages of a 700 mile 2 day trip on my 675R. What you consider acceptable is unique to you and you alone. 

I don't find the 675R that bad, but others can only do a couple hours before their done. 

As far as nimble and fast track oriented bikes go, the GSXR-750 is the most comfortable I've ridden. You sit in them more than on them. The R6 has you perched way up on top. 

The 750 is a great bike too. Fast, Nimble, best power for street use and my buddy is faster round the track on his 750 than he was on his ZX-10. 

• Member Contributer

If I had the space (and money) what I would really like in my stable is a VFR, a CBR-600 and a Gold Wing.

There's also a side of me that wants a little 2-stroke Aprilia.

The 'Wing can be surprisingly sporty, even if it is a Barcalounger on two wheels.  Doubters should feel free to search YouTube for "yellow wolf gold wing".

When I was shopping for my 8th Gen VFR I was also looking at Gold Wings.  But I do a LOT of lane-splitting here and was nervous about the girth of the machine.  I bought the VFR and side cases - which stay on pretty much all the time - and it turns out those side cases make the VFR wider than a 'Wing!  Oh well.  The good news is I still manage to squeeze through some impressively tight spots in traffic.  It tends to scare the crap out of many stateside drivers, who aren't as comfortable in close quarters as drivers in Yurp and Asia.  But it works.

BMW RNineT, with the hand-welded tank seam option.

This, for riding along places like the Champs Elysees, scanning the cafes.

But if you're out in West Bumfrick, just get a nice dirt bike.

I'd say get a red VFR to go with the white . But since I'm still in my honey moon phase with my new VFR I may be biased. 2 bikes ago I had a 2010 street triple R with every option from triumph, arrow full exhaust, windscreen, lower covers etc and it was $2K more out the door than my VFR but it seriously lacked any ability to do long trips like I wanted to do with my buddies without looking like a Beverly hillbillies mobile so I bought the worse bike of my life, a CTX1300 , the only bike I was glad to see gone.

For fun I like a honda rebel, you can redline thru all the gears and still not likely to get a speeding ticket LOL.

• Member Contributer

Agreed Rectal on the CBR 600, nice light, flickable bike with the right power to weight to be practically useable and not that expensive 

Dirt bikes are a good way to break bones to keep you off the Tarmac 

"Classic Bikes" are a piss off after the novelty wears off, they require constant maintainance and a working knowledge of the machine ... I've been riding since 1966, I started on classics ...

BMW learn how to proffer your wallet to the dealer and repeat "help yourself"

Triumph learn how to be disappointed in so many ways, the XC in particular 

I stopped riding my trials bikes a few years ago, my grand kids play on them enough to justify keeping them 

I've just sold my Supermoto as that's another summer time toy

So VFR for all year, CBR for summer fun

Archived