Mounting a Bike Cam

I have bought a NextBase Bike Cam and I am looking for ideas on how to mount it (perhaps I should have thought of this BEFORE I bought it!).

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dashcams/ride-motorcycle-bikecam/

I think in the USA it is called a DOD HUMMER  https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-HUMMER-BikeCam-Action/dp/B01LAW3KFS

I have a TomTom mounted in the fork stem so can't use that.

Only thing i can think of is to mount it on a mirror stem.

Has anyone found a good way of mounting a Bike Cam or camera on a VFR?

I've used my left mirror stalk for several videos. Vibration is not a big problem. Wind noise is the biggest issue.

• Member Contributer

My Olfi camera is mounted on the right mirror, as close in as I can get it and it's perfect, sure there's wind noise but I can hear the engine revs clearly, the Sony AS30 I had was terrible for wind noise

The handlebar mount they show is similar to mine, so shouldn't be a problem

Carlos - that camera doesn't have image stabilisation and you need that to get good results, plus only 1 hr battery life

Check out the OLFI at olfi.co.uk, it's the size of a GoPro but is vastly superior, my GoPro cameras were so fecking  unreliable it was a joke, 2 replacement units in 10 months, they're a pain when they go wrong, there's only the lens and a micro USB only the little plastic box, no buttons, no nothing, just a crappy plastic box that won't charge or respond in any way

If you bought the Next camera online return it for a refund, the Olfi is £150 and comes in a nice case (£40 for the GoPro) and uses all the GoPro mounts, I bought an alloy base fitting off eBay for less than £5, no more plastic brackets ... The camera also has 4 buttons that allow you to reset it without the need for another device or PC, the top 2 on/off  and start/stop for the camera, so it can be switched on sat by the side of the road with your gloves on .... The image stabilisation is by a gyro system and is brilliant ... set the lens angle to wide and there's zero fisheye

PLUS they're made in the UK near Snowdonia so a phone call away if need be

• Member Contributer

Roadhawk ride in the picture . Recently upgraded to a r+ mounted at side of fairing. Did have it mounted on mirrors but too much vibration .

IMG_1692.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Thumbs said:

if you bought the Next camera online return it for a refund, the Olfi is £150

You can get the next online for £119 delivered, hence why I said I hoped he had not paid £249.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Carlosfandango said:

I have bought a NextBase Bike Cam and I am looking for ideas on how to mount it (perhaps I should have thought of this BEFORE I bought it!).

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dashcams/ride-motorcycle-bikecam/

I think in the USA it is called a DOD HUMMER  https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-HUMMER-BikeCam-Action/dp/B01LAW3KFS

Sweet looking camera with a few nice accessible features that set it apart from the rest, but beware one thing...

The "IPx6 rating" is missing a number and the manual states: "The BikeCam is designed to withstand heavy splashing and rainfall. However, prolonged exposure is not recommended."

It would be nice to hear from people about how durable this camera is in places with frequent rainfall, saltwater air, etc.

Good news is the camera supports loop recording.  Not many do.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Check out the OLFI at olfi.com,.....

olfi.co.uk

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, fink said:

It's the one hour battery life that cracks me up.  

If you're talking about the NextBase/Hummer, the instructions make it clear the battery is for standby only.

As for the Olfi, GoPro, etc. I personally loathe the brick -type cameras.

I'm using a Contour on my helmet which doesn't suit all my needs but works well enough when I want it.

• Member Contributer

I'm just reading the blurb it says1 hr.  it also says it can be bike powered. 

Can you you show me the battery bit your on about I must have missed it. 

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, fink said:

I'm just reading the blurb it says1 hr.  it also says it can be bike powered. 

Can you you show me the battery bit your on about I must have missed it.

The blurbs on retail sites are all woefully lacking so the user manual is the only way to really find out what this thing does.

https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NBDVR-RIDE-Instruction-Manual-English-R01.pdf

Page 6 near the bottom:

"Lithium-ion 3.7V / 750mAh (approx. 50mins recording time) Battery design allows the 'Auto Power Off' feature to function in event of power loss upon the bike. It is not intended as an alternative power source to replace the supplied cigarette power adaptor or hard-wire kit."

• Member Contributer

Carlos, why do you want a camera?  Your reason for wanting a camera might help determine the best place for mounting it.  For example, if you want to motovlog I'd recommend attaching it to the chin bar of your helmet as it gives the most realistic view of what it's like to be the actual rider and you can easily hard-wire a mic into the helmet from there.  If you want to document trackday conquests I'd recommend mounting it to the nose of the bike as I think that's the most exciting camera view for race footage.  If you just want a camera for dashcam style documention of what happened in the event of a crash (let's hope that never happens!) then I would just stick it anywhere behind the windscreen.

Archived