Chain/Sprocket Kit Recommendations

Hi everyone,

Looking for a decent replacement chain/sprocket set as mine needs to go.

I'm concerned about getting a crap set, and looking for as close to OEM replacement as possible.

Are there still DID kits out there?

I don't want to say that money is no object, but I'm not the type to go cheap on important parts either.

Thanks in advance

• Member Contributer

I've always gone w/ either DID, EK, or RK  x-ring chains.. never had issues w/ any of them.. .all better than OEM.   Steel sprockets are all about the same IMO.... only sprocket I've ever had issues w/ was an alum Vortex which wore out very quickly compared to the steel.  just my 2¢

maybe give sprocketcenter a look

Thanks guys,

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between x-ring and o-ring chains and are there any considerations when switching between the two?

My previous bike was shaft-driven, this is my first chain to deal with since being on a mountain bike.

• Member Contributer

X-Ring chains have "X" cross-section of the O-Rings :wacko:.  Not sure whether there are any regular o-ring chains left on the market.

Also, when searching for chains, I noticed that motorcycle-superstore defaulted to a 106-link option when the 99vfr was selected, am I not correct in thinking it was a 108-link chain I would need?  Should I stick with their recommendations?

Thank you so much.

I have one last question, when checking the chain slack, I noticed that on the bottom, I could not move the chain downward, but could move it upward until it touched the swingarm, on the top, I couldn't move it at all upward, but could move it downward until it touched the chain slider on top of the swingarm.

I loosened the tensioner pinch bolt and tried to tension it a bit and was at the end of the outer limit (not seized I could move it the other way).  Is it not strange that I only had slack one way?

• Member Contributer

per owners manual (one in the download section if you don't have it) bike should be on the center stand and in neutral..slack is measured on bottom side of swingarm .8-1.2 inches of slack.. rotate wheel, and make sure slack stays constant - if it doesn't, you probably have some tight spots in the chain.

• Member Contributer

The OEM front sprockets have rubber flange surfaces molded onto each face. These rubber flanges slightly contact the chain and reduce noise. If you want this feature you may have to buy an OEM sprocket. AFAM also offers this feature on some sprockets but I have not looked to see if they offer one for your VFR.  

You might look at your front sprocket to see if it is original. Most folks might not pay extra for this feature and if your current sprocket is an aftermarket part already you won't notice the noise difference. 

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I noticed that the front sprocket is not listed for sale(for that matter the rear too)  in any of the OEM Honda parts catalog anymore. (Damn!) What is everyone doing as as an alternate?

22 minutes ago, mello dude said:

I noticed that the front sprocket is not listed for sale(for that matter the rear too)  in any of the OEM Honda parts catalog anymore. (Damn!) What is everyone doing as as an alternate?

I'm going to have to throw something on there soon, after that I'll probably do some more serious searching for "the best" parts and try to stock up on them.  I'm planning to buy as many replacements for wear parts as I can so that when it's time to replace them I can just go ahead and do it.

I'm not sure if any of the aftermarkets have OEM perfect specs, but hopefully some of the ones referred to in previous responses will have some of the features mentioned.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, mello dude said:

I see 5th and 6th gen still listed on Partzilla (under Transmission and Rear Wheel).  Didn't check any of the other gens.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, LangoPTC said:

I see 5th and 6th gen still listed on Partzilla (under Transmission and Rear Wheel).  Didn't check any of the other gens.

I'm dense - thanks for that.   :fing02:  -  I was looking in the swingarm section -- Its unobtainum there... Looks like I'm doing a chain and sprocket job..... 

I usually look between ProCaliber and Partzilla.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just ordered a DID530ZVMX chain from Sprocket Center. Bought my 2005 about 18 months ago, and on the center stand, when I put it in first, the chain bounces around something fierce. Just over 20k miles (8,400 when I got her), and I don't know what all she went through before I got her, so better safe than sorry. Always gets some red dust on the chain and I'm pretty good about keeping it lubed and clean. Hoping this doesn't require too much in the way of special tools. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Although not brought up in the OP, Honda calls for lubing the chain every 500 miles. I was lazy with my first VFR800fi and had to replace it too soon, given the costs.

I use the B trip meter for chain mileage determination. I reset it with each lubing.

I've heard some change every other tank of gas, but if one fills up before 250 miles/tank, you may be wasting lube.

8 hours ago, TedJake said:

. Hoping this doesn't require too much in the way of special tools. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

You're going to need a a chain tool and a way to measure the plate-to-plate dimension and rivet head dimension, if you want to do it right.

There are plenty of other ways to get the job done that you can find on YouTube and Google.

I brought it to the shop to get it done. 75$ labour was better short term than buying a chain tool and I'm working on a huge project at work right now which leaves me not much time to do it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Superballs said:

I brought it to the shop to get it done. 75$ labour was better short term than buying a chain tool and I'm working on a huge project at work right now which leaves me not much time to do it.

That's what I do. And $75 is reasonable. You are replacing the sprockets also, right?

That's what I do. And $75 is reasonable. You are replacing the sprockets also, right?

Yeah he said it should be an hour or less.

Admittedly he probably has never worked on a VFR before, as there really are not many around where I live and people have no idea what they are. He was talking about the work to remove the rear tire and I showed him the single sided swing arm and he was like oh awesome this will be way quicker than.

I have a chain tool, don't feel like bothering with it. Last time I tried, I couldn't get the rivet just right. I could either pop the plate off with a little effort or try to get it slightly tighter and make it bind. When I thought I finally had it right, my chain flew off on a hard downshift after a couple hundred miles.

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I have a chain tool, don't feel like bothering with it. Last time I tried, I couldn't get the rivet just right. I could either pop the plate off with a little effort or try to get it slightly tighter and make it bind. When I thought I finally had it right, my chain flew off on a hard downshift after a couple hundred miles.

Yikes! Hope no one was hurt. Congrats on your survival. 

Archived