Spare electrical connections ? ?

Woodie

• Member Contributer

I have just put my 03 VTEC 800 back together after sorting a few problems, As I was refitting the upper fairing cowl I cam across a couple of electrical connectors that don't seem to connect to anything ?  Could anyone help me identify what they are Please.

1) 2 pin black flat connector that exits through the back of the Instrument binnacle. I put a meter on it and got 5V so it must do something.

2) 3 pin black flat connector, but only outside two connectors are connected, seems to exit from the front of the fuse box? I put a meter on this and got nothing from it.

It's a UK/European bike if that makes a difference.

everything works so wondered if they were for accessories or something.

thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

Any pics m8?

Have you checked the Service or Haynes Manual wiring diagram for answers? I'm at work so can't help with that bit.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, Skids said:

Any pics m8?

Have you checked the Service or Haynes Manual wiring diagram for answers? I'm at work so can't help with that bit.

Nah, I was too busy putting it back together so I could get to work. Not checked a wiring diagram yet just thought the collective would know. so far nothing has stopped working so it's only curiosity. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

A Wee hint, When posting  something along lines of nature of this  If you include the wire colours then an answer would be easier to find.

The 3 pin with two wires ,one Brown the other Green is likely to be the diagnostic connector.

The other possibly black the ambient air sensor plug

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, fink said:

A Wee hint, When posting  something along lines of nature of this  If you include the wire colours then an answer would be easier to find.

The 3 pin with two wires ,one Brown the other Green is likely to be the diagnostic connector.

Cheers for the hint and I would have done but I was too busy putting it back together to take note. I thought I'd remembered the colours but decided it would only add confusion if I had it wrong.

I know the one coming from the rear of the instrument binnacle has two black wires but I didn't check if either had a white stripe or other markings on it.

is the Ambient sensor an addition or is mine just missing ?

• Member Contributer

I honestly have no idea as have never owned an early vtec, mine being the latest model.  But did remember them from helping someone a few years ago.

+1 what he said.

FI error code diagnosis terminal next to rhs fuse box: does not need to be plugged into anything. You short it to bring up flashing codes on the FI light on the dash.

Ambient temperature sensor connector, u should find the sensor in the nose cone under the headlights.

• Member Contributer
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Auspanglish said:

FI error code diagnosis terminal next to rhs fuse box: does not need to be plugged into anything. You short it to bring up flashing codes on the FI light on the dash.

Ambient temperature sensor connector, u should find the sensor in the nose cone under the headlights.

I should but it aint thar! :mad:.

No matter... if my visor is icing over it's cold, if it's misting up it's hot. (And as I'm in the UK they're both likely to happen in the same day!) who needs an air temp sensor !  :goofy:

As I said in the first post, I assumed they were auxiliaries or some such thing as everything that should work, did ! 

Thanks for the replies!

• Member Contributer
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Auspanglish said:

u should find the sensor in the nose cone under the headlights.

Actually I found it on the floor amongst the rest of the detritus ! !  I now just have to work up the courage to disturb the now working bike and fit it. It might have to wait until I'm doing something else as it has now worked for a whole week and don't want to jinx it.

Archived