Tyre/Tire Choice for 1200F

Skids

• Member Contributer

Just had the 16k service completed on my '14 1200F and the tyres are beginning to wear. I have a weekend rideout to attend in a few weeks but they will probably need replacing after that.

Currently using Michelin PR4s and really like them, especially in the UK where it can rain almost any day.

I've read on an old thread on here that Dunlop Roadsmart 3s are good - how are they in the wet?

Also, any other recommendations for the 1200F?

Thanks.  :beer:

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

PR4.  Tires are expensive and I'm comfortable with how they handle in all conditions.  I'd hate to try say a set of Dunlops and hate them.

I know what you mean. It's a balance between what you know works and something new that may (or may not) be an improvement.  :beer:

Pilot Road 4GT

going 15k miles on mine and plenty of tread left. Great wet performance, and the best for 2 up riding. PR4's are nice, but I feel a little too soft compared to the GT's. They've paid for themselves twice over now. 

7 minutes ago, Artfulkatana said:

Pilot Road 4GT

going 15k miles on mine and plenty of tread left. Great wet performance, and the best for 2 up riding. PR4's are nice, but I feel a little too soft compared to the GT's. They've paid for themselves twice over now. 

+1...great all around tire for my mostly 2 up touring

• Member Contributer

One to consider guys, thanks.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

I've got a few thousand miles on the Dunlop RS 3 after two sets of the PR4. At this point without knowing how long the RS3 will last and how the handling will change I'd choose the RS3 over the PR4.  Primarily because of improved front end feel/confidence.   Generally I feel like the RS3 give better feedback.  A really, really good tire IMO.

• Member Contributer
37 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I've got a few thousand miles on the Dunlop RS 3 after two sets of the PR4. At this point without knowing how long the RS3 will last and how the handling will change I'd choose the RS3 over the PR4.  Primarily because of improved front end feel/confidence.   Generally I feel like the RS3 give better feedback.  A really, really good tire IMO.

Thanks m8. I was going to ask how they were in the wet compared to the PR4 but then saw where you lived. :cool::goofy:

• Member Contributer

I've always gone for the PR3's over the PR4's. The tread and grip is almost identical but the compounds used are a tad harder so you get better mileage.

I'm not that fast a rider so the compromise in grip over longevity is no loss for me.

I'm just coming up replacing the rear as it is now resembles a racing intermediate with 12,000 miles on it and with the High Motorway use and weight of the Triumph that's pretty damned good.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Skids said:

Thanks m8. I was going to ask how they were in the wet compared to the PR4 but then saw where you lived. :cool::goofy:

Yeah, as much as I like riding in the rain, no chance yet with these tires.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, swimmer said:

Yeah, as much as I like riding in the rain, no chance yet with these tires.

Indeed. I've been to Tucson several times. The climate is fabulous, if a little warm in the summer. :cool:

I have a Bridgestone T30 evo on the front at the moment and a PR4 on the rear because the PR4 was on the bike when I got it and it needed a new front. I am not a fan of the feedback from PR4 fronts but the T30 evo is worse so I made a mistake on that one.

Next time I will try a sports tyre on the front eg a Q3 or a PP to get a bit better feedback. I am happy with the PR4 rear.

• Member Contributer

You may want to try a "stiffer" tire in the front. I tried some sports tires and they were horrible due to lack of feedback. The PR4's are the best I have tried, so far, and have good feedback. I think the sports tires do not have adequate sidewall stiffness for the weight of this bike ~ 593lbs + rider = almost 800 lbs for me. The typical Gixer or CBR 1000's are around 450 wet. Once you add luggage, or a passenger, you are way up there. The sports tires stuck like glue, but I could not tell what the front end was doing, since the sidewall was always flexing, also they only lasted 3,500 miles, whereas the PR4's can go as much as 5,500 - 6,500 miles, with better feedback and just as much grip. I don't know how some people can get 15K out of them.....

I'm actually tempted to try the GT spec tires as they are even stiffer in the sidewalls, but they might have a harder compound......which used to mean less grip, but with today's technology that may be a thing of the past as the heat/grip characteristics may be formulated for the heavier weight of this bike. If the compound gets sticky at the right temp, it may be pretty darn good, with exceptional feedback.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the PR4 fans, they are great sport and sport touring tires, particularly good in the wet but very good all-around rubber for the 1200. After the original Bridgestones were toast I have run PR3's and then PR4's ever since, with 46K now on the clock. I also agree with RC1237V that I can't imagine the circumstances where I could get anything close to 15K miles on a front or a rear. 7000 max!

Really hard riding will start to chew up the side rain grooves on the PR4 fronts, the leading edge of the groove wearing down while the trailing edge develops almost a flap, if that makes sense--see pics. But they aren't track tires, and I accept the compromise. Who wants to stop for half a day in the middle of a trip just to get new rubber?

Jim, I had never actually considered the GT version of the PR4 for the 7th gen, hmmm. Anyone else have a comment or experience with the GT?

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys. I do like the PR4s but am now interested in the GT version too. They may even suit my 800X as most of my time is spent commuting on a dual carriageway (interstate).

St Stephen...this is what a chewed tyre looks like!  A Bridgestone after some spirited 2-up + luggage riding in New Zealand. The tarmac out there is very grippy! :beer:

P1000656.JPG

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Who wants to stop for half a day in the middle of a trip just to get new rubber?

I though I was getting to the Marquez level on Mines Road, spinning the rear out of turns etc....when I pulled over for a break, I thought I had run over some gum, but then I put my glasses on and realized how close I had come to disaster. I rode slowly to the BMW dealership in Livermore. I even checked it carefully before the ride and made a mental note that I had 4 or 5 rides left......No more sports tires for me!

20161001_113627.jpg

i emailed Michelin the question of PR4  vs GT  and their response was that the do not recommend the GT  for the VFR1200F

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, lshark said:

i emailed Michelin the question of PR4  vs GT  and their response was that the do not recommend the GT  for the VFR1200F

Did they say why?

• Member Contributer

I've run 3 sets of the PR4 GT's.  Work great for me.  Very nice performance and they wear really well - very little flat spotting of the rear.   Having said that, I'm going to try the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's next, just to see.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:37 PM, RC1237V said:

BayAreaRider has them, and likes them.....

Stones, T30 evo GT's to be exact.

Nearly 7K mi on each end with even wear. New set in the wings for June.

Good grip required. 

Sporties need not apply..

IMG_0621.PNG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Had PR3s front & back when I got my bike. Replaced with PR4 GTs, which were excellent and lasted 14k kms, front should have gone at around 12k.
Went to put PR4s back on but dealer was out of stock, so being impatient I went for Pirelli GT, not a fan. I'm going back to the PR4 GTs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived