Vfrness fuse blowing

StormShadow

Gday. I have a 2012 vfr800 gen 6. I installed a vfrness about 2 or 3 years ago. It's been problem free.

I had an minor accident. Caused cosmetic damage to left hand side at xmas.

First few days back on the bike this week. The main fuse blew as I was riding. Checked it over. Vfrness fuse was also blown. Replaced all fuses and rode home. Bike stopped again. Main fuse fine

Vfrness fuse blown..

Went over the entire loom. Nothing burnt broken. Frayed or rubbed. Volts fine between 14.4 and 14.6 constant racing the bike.

What could be the cause of the vfrness fuse blowing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

You must have an intermittent earth fault somewhere. Can you run the bike up to temp on the centre stand to see if heat has an effect on the fault? Electrical intermittent faults are always a PITA to locate. I see you are in Oz, are you anywhere near Maroubra?

South sydney. Yeah I ran it for an hour before for the ride home. No problems. I went over every connector today. Contact cleaned everything. See if it lasts tomorrow. Put resettable fuses in now n have a bunch of spares.

I note the main fuse was 30 amp buy when you install vfrness you put a 20 amp in instead of the 30. I assume the main fuse is blowing after vfrness fuse simply. Because it can't handle the load.

Well made it to work tonight with out an issue, speaking to the wiremybike who made the vfrness i have (extra doubled up main wires) its possible theirs some resistance maybe because the wires are gettign old, and they recommended raising the main fuse from 20 to 25, (it is normally 30 with out the vfrness) and see how it goes. Its possible all the dried up dialectric greese and loose connections caused the resistance. either way, new fuses, all connections cleaned up. a run today for an hour and a half and they didnt blow.

Have you ever check Jed the yellow bus common ground connector on the front subharness? Ever get that swapped out at the dealers following the recall? Have you inspected the big blue connector by the lhs radiator? Ores around the battery OK? No sign of browning from overheating? Sorry for not reading the entire thread if you already did all that.

• Member Contributer

My 6th Gen with VFRness started blowing the 20A fuse in the main harness last year.  It would happen 10-20 minutes into a ride.  Looked over all the connections and everything looks OK.  Finally put a 30A in and haven't had a problem since.

My 6th Gen with VFRness started blowing the 20A fuse in the main harness last year.  It would happen 10-20 minutes into a ride.  Looked over all the connections and everything looks OK.  Finally put a 30A in and haven't had a problem since.

Sound like what's happening to me. Vfrness guy recons they started 15 amp fuses in both but as the wires age they build up resistance. They went to 20 amp fuses and it stopped. But Then some had to go to 25 amps fuses.

Archived