RC51 front end -> 02 VFR800 ?s

jim v

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi all, while reading up on the RC51 front end onto 6th gen swap it seems like a couple links to the threads are broken so a few questions -

1. With the new front end the brakes must be completely delinked. For the front its best to use the RC51hardware - calipers, m/c, brake lines, etc. Correct?
  2. For the rear, best to re-use the stock m/c, caliper and line then a bridge line to the other outer caliper piston? Center piston can be plugged with a crush washer and an M10 set screw
  3. The proportioning valves and associated hoses, etc can all be removed
  4. The RC51 front end won't work with the ABS system so the front ABS components can be removed. Does that include the front modulator?
  5. What about the rear ABS? Remove all that hardware (including the rear modulator) as well?
  6. What am i forgetting?

Any info/insight would be a huge help

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, jim v said:

Hi all, while reading up on the RC51 front end onto 6th gen swap it seems like a couple links to the threads are broken so a few questions -

1. With the new front end the brakes must be completely delinked. For the front its best to use the RC51hardware - calipers, m/c, brake lines, etc. Correct?
  2. For the rear, best to re-use the stock m/c, caliper and line then a bridge line to the other outer caliper piston? Center piston can be plugged with a crush washer and an M10 set screw
  4. The RC51 front end won't work with the ABS system so the front ABS components can be removed. Does that include the front modulator?
  5. What about the rear ABS? Remove all that hardware (including the rear modulator) as well?
  6. What am i forgetting?

1. RC51 hardware is fine - although --- 954/F4i and a few others use the same casting for the caliper. Brake lines are usually custom.

2. Do not reuse the stock m/c -- you need to replace with a 14 mm m/c -- F4i/Rc51/SH quite a few others are stock 14mm. 

3. Yes , shit can all the proportioning valves and all lines that go with it. 

4.  -- I am guessing but since you are doing a delink, all the ABS gear goes out with it

Don't know anyone who has done a delink with ABS.

The peanut gallary will chime in.......

md

• Member Contributer

Rc51 brakes and forks are a big step up in performance. There is a thread on de linking the rear caliper. I roughly remember the loop to the proportion valve get looped back the your rear caliper via a custom short hose.

I am saving a few goodies from my RC51 trackbike project for a future VFR front end mod. Look forward to your ride report.

• Member Contributer
On 4/29/2017 at 8:03 PM, jim v said:

6. What am i forgetting?

My opinions:

1. RC51 brakes will work.  Are you using RC51 wheel/discs?  The 600RR/F4i/929/954/RC51 calipers use similar caliper bodies, but have different piston sizes, and use different size master cylinders, so don't mix them up unintentionally. 

2. You could keep the OEM rear master cylinder if you blocked off and did not attempt to use the centre piston.  Otherwise, you should use a 14mm master from, e.g., an F4i.  For blocking-off I have some stainless steel M10x1.25 low-head plugs, but they aren't easy to find.  I think mine came from Stig Fasteners in the UK/eBay.  In theory, you could run two lines off a double banjo bolt on the rear m/c and utilise all three pistons, but most people try to eliminate the extra line.

3. Yep.  (But, see below.)

4. Well...I've never heard of anyone doing this, but given the ABS system is supposed to be separate from the braking system, it might be possible to keep the ABS.  You would need to add the ABS ring from an early 6th gen (the kind that bolts to the disc carrier with three bolts) to your new RHS brake disc and figure out some way to mount the sensor.  Then use the existing modulator plumbing.  And then test the whole thing thoroughly to make sure it didn't kill you.  (That last part might be the most challenging!)

5. Er, it might work...

6. The front wheel is a tricky one, as RC51 wheels (at least the SP1 version) seem to be very hard to find.  Using any other wheel is not really practical without machining skills.  Have you got one?  Honda made front mudguards that fit their USD forks in many, many colours.  I've got front fenders in Italian red, Pearl shining yellow and Candy tahitian blue to perfectly match my red VFR750, yellow Y2k VFR800 and blue '01 VFR800.  I hate re-spraying!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Guys, thanks for the replies - very helpful. To answer some of the questions that have come up -

• I have a complete RC51 SP1 front end, including wheel and fender, with a CBR954 upper triple clamp
  • No plans to keep ABS, front or rear. That sounds like a tougher project with an uncertain outcome.
  • I'm not sure if removing front/rear ABS hardware is a good idea - there are electrical connectors that run from the modulators (front and rear) to the ABS ECU which in turn ties into the main ECU. Disconnecting everything runs the chance the main ECU will be unhappy and the bike won't run properly. Current plan is to leave everything in place and block off all the inlets/outlets on the modulators. If someone has removed all this hardware without issue I'd love to hear about it

• Member Contributer
On 2017-05-01 at 1:40 AM, JZH said:

My opinions:

1. RC51 brakes will work.  Are you using RC51 wheel/discs?  The 600RR/F4i/929/954/RC51 calipers use similar caliper bodies, but have different piston sizes, and use different size master cylinders, so don't mix them up unintentionally. 

Ciao,

John,

Any opinion on the merits of various caliber:master sizing?

curious in Victoria

• Member Contributer

Not really, Lorne.  I think it's a good idea to keep to an OEM configuration UNLESS you have the knowledge and experience to know better.  Certainly, there are differences, which is why Honda changed disc sizes, piston sizes and master cylinder sizes several times on the Fireblade series alone--and then there is the heavier weight of the VFR to consider.  But at least you know, if you choose one of the OEM configurations, that it is unlikely to result in a potentially dangerous parts mis-match. 

Ciao,

Archived