Feed rheinmetall Beast: AAA Gasoline study Comparing Hi and Low end Gas

• Member Contributer

AAA study finds dramatic difference in carbon deposits, drive ability  and emission from top tier gasoline and lower tier gasoline.  What do you think of the study, data, results, conclusions, and will you make a change in your fuel purchase habits?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=fb-apr2017&utm_medium=us-cpc

Matt

Nitpicking - the article doesn't say what/which brands are "Top Tier" - you have to click on a partially hidden link (IMO lame) http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/ 

Looking at the list, I'm not sure I would agree with all the names (but I'm no scientist).  I worked at Santa Monica Honda Kawasaki Polaris (now Pacific Coast Highway Powersports), parts and service, for 3 years in the early 90's.  I remember one summer when we had a couple of dozen bikes come in with fuel related problems - the common factor?  Arco gas.  I don't care that it's been over 20 years since then, the only thing I'd use Arco gas for would be Molotov cocktails... haha  For my 86/87 VFR's, all I filled up with was Shell or Chevron.  For my 8th gen, only Shell so far.  For my cars, Shell, Mobil, Chevron, and sometimes 76. 

terrible_herbst_640_1.jpg?itok=x_Rxk6_F

• Member Contributer

I don't think it's nitpicking...I did take the results as "average" and Top Tier as Premium gas...but I could be mistaken. .But also, I don't know where  or IF AAA will publish the full results, maybe more will be revealed.

Also, sorry about the title...my phone inserted rheinmetall for "the"...F YOU autocorrect!

• Member Contributer

Fuel selection methodology:

4.2.1 Test Fuel Selection
For this test, AAA selected six fuel brands from the southern Texas market by first defining all major 
brands in the geographic region (city). Recognizing TOP TIER is the only industry standard for gasoline 
detergents other than the EPA’s LAC, those brands were divided into two groups: TOP TIER and non-TOP 
TIER gasoline. A random number generator program was then used to randomly select the actual fuel 
brands for evaluation. Once the brands were identified, the test lab sourced the fuels by selecting a 
retailer in the test area without any input or direction from AAA. The fuel samples collected were not 
boutique fuels so the test results should be representative for the majority of the United States.

So wait, if I'm reading correctly, they only chose 6 brands total (and only from 1 region of 1 state in the USA).  Some of those brands (did they split 3 and 3?) were "top tier" and some were not?  Then from only those 6 they selected (it doesn't say how many) the actual fuel brands for evaluation - so they couldn't have tested any more than 5 of the "top tier" gasoline brands from the total list???

Certainly sounds like another case of Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics!  >:|

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, zupatun said:

Also, sorry about the title...my phone inserted rheinmetall for "the"...F YOU autocorrect!

Could be worse. Mine once inserted "sodomy" in a text to my GF. :goofy:

I'll be damned if I know why. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, Samuelx said:

So wait, if I'm reading correctly, they only chose 6 brands total (and only from 1 region of 1 state in the USA).  Some of those brands (did they split 3 and 3?) were "top tier" and some were not?  Then from only those 6 they selected (it doesn't say how many) the actual fuel brands for evaluation - so they couldn't have tested any more than 5 of the "top tier" gasoline brands from the total list???

Certainly sounds like another case of Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics!  >:|

The FACT is, there are only so many refineries and formulations, and because the "Industry srandard" is widely defined, the minimized as best they could, variation, and used industry standards as baseline gas formulations or product strata.

Testing is also expensive...from experience one CANT do comprehensive testing, unless you have an angel investor or deep pockets...

Matt

• Member Contributer
38 minutes ago, Auspanglish said:

It was reading your subconscious?

Projection much ? :laugh:

I swear I never, ever, typed this awful word on my phone. :pinocchio::goofy:

OK. Back to gas fellas. :offtopic:

2 hours ago, zupatun said:

The FACT is, there are only so many refineries and formulations, and because the "Industry srandard" is widely defined, the minimized as best they could, variation, and used industry standards as baseline gas formulations or product strata.

Testing is also expensive...from experience one CANT do comprehensive testing, unless you have an angel investor or deep pockets...

Matt

I hear what you're saying and at least they did some testing.  I just don't like it when people take small samples of anything and then draw broad conclusions or generalizations from limited data.  Some of the brands listed look like they are only found in the Hawaiian Islands - nothing against Hawaii, love the place, but are we really supposed to believe the quality is the same as the largest name brands (unless they get their gas, including additives, straight from the source)?  There are quite a few Valeros around here and I trust that brand even less than Arco... 

• Member Contributer

Archived