Slipper clutch

Katie

Ok, after riding Aprilias for a while, I've just discovered/remembered that other bikes don't come fitted with a slipper clutch as standard :rolleyes:

After a horrendous commute home last night, the last few miles were fairly spirited back road riding. Approaching a 100 ° bend in the rain, dropped from 3rd to 2nd and the back end went very disagreeable on me! Strangely, the TC didn't cut in?

Anyway, anyone found a good supplier of cheap slipper clutches for the VFR yet? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Define "cheap"?  is a grand+labor cheap?

If you are after REALLY REALLY cheap, learn to ride properly?

And with that I mean in accordance with the VFR's V4 engine characteristics and road conditions. Not to be mean, but if you can only ride spiritted in the rain with a slipper clutch...

It takes skill to operate a mc, it is not a video game :goofy:

PS: try a VTR1000-SP and you will NEVER want for a slipper on your VFR...

TC will cut power when power is overwhelming the rear tire. If reverse torque is overwhelming the rear tire, cutting power isn't going to help.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Define "cheap"?  is a grand+labor cheap?

If you are after REALLY REALLY cheap, learn to ride properly?

And with that I mean in accordance with the VFR's V4 engine characteristics and road conditions. Not to be mean, but if you can only ride spiritted in the rain with a slipper clutch...

It takes skill to operate a mc, it is not a video game :goofy:

PS: try a VTR1000-SP and you will NEVER want for a slipper on your VFR...

'Cheap' is more of an expression of hope rather than an expectation :smile:

Regarding riding properly, I think the expression 'up yours' is rightly applied here... As mentioned, I've spent the last few years riding 1000cc v-twins with a slipper clutch so was a bit surprised with the tail-wagging. Of course I could just blip the throttle a bit more on the downshift or maybe I can find a man to teach me to ride properly? :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, CandyRedRC46 said:

TC will cut power when power is overwhelming the rear tire. If reverse torque is overwhelming the rear tire, cutting power isn't going to help.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok, that makes sense. First time on the road with TC so didn't know what to expect. So far it's only cut in when going over some high speed bumps...

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Katie said:

'Cheap' is more of an expression of hope rather than an expectation :smile:

Regarding riding properly, I think the expression 'up yours' is rightly applied here... As mentioned, I've spent the last few years riding 1000cc v-twins with a slipper clutch so was a bit surprised with the tail-wagging. Of course I could just blip the throttle a bit more on the downshift or maybe I can find a man to teach me to ride properly? :rolleyes:

Well it looks like we share the same expression here in the states :wink: (No offense Dutchy). When I first got my 09 VFR, I had to get used to the compression braking characteristics of the motor. I had it step out a few times on me, one time I thought for sure I  was going to go OTB! Since then I have learned when and where I can and cannot use compression braking safely so it may just be a case of getting more familiar with the VFR vs what you had before.

When I use to ride off-road on a two stroke, compression braking didn't exist! Going back and forth between my 4 stoke 125 and my 2 stroke 250 was fun to say the least. Being able to down shift going down hill on the 125 and use the motor to help slow my descent was eye opening when I would do that on the 250!

Anyway, good luck with finding a solution Katie, ride safe. 

• Member Contributer

Isn't the 800's slipper clutch called the Left Hand? :goofy:

Love it on the 1200. :wink:

I was a little surprised to find out that the new 800 didn't get a slipper clutch, but really, it just makes me feel like a hero/Ben Spies when I get the ass end wiggling.

• Member Contributer

My name is not Delors, so no offense taken. Nor meant as I wrote either. :tongue:

Ah well, sure I'll get used to it again. I once jumped on a Deauville loan bike when my Firestorm was being serviced and found a similar issue. The bike reminded me it was shaft drive as I tried to decelerate through the gears before hitting the van who had pulled out in front of me. Locking the back wheel solid still slows the bike down just not in a pretty way...

Going from a slipper to a non-slipper can result in some fun times.

Having 4 years on a first-gen Magna v45, I had a couple interesting moments when aggressively downshifting on on the VFR almost left me with two distinct sets of skid marks.

Didn't take me long to adjust once I realized I didn't have that slipper clutch though, but man that was better than a cup of strong coffee

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Superballs said:

Having 4 years on a first-gen Magna v45, I had a couple interesting moments when aggressively downshifting on on the VFR almost left me with two distinct sets of skid marks.

Didn't take me long to adjust once I realized I didn't have that slipper clutch though, but man that was better than a cup of strong coffee

I don't care who you are...that's funny!

• Member Contributer

And using the brakes to slow down (to avoid a van) is far more efficient than downshifting anyway...  :happy:

Still could end in tears though..

I feel a BOHICA coming up.... :goofy:

Jacques

I have had that happen on my 6th gen more times than I would like to admit. Once, recently acquired, it did end in tears. Cold, muddy road, downhill, tried shaving off excess speed quicksmart for hard upcoming left and the rear locked up and went squiggly. Hoping it would settle in time, it didn't, bike met guardrailzilla and I went over the handlebars and guardrail and ended up bending my knee sideways. It doesn't normally bend sideways.

The engine braking on this motor is strong. I found out the hard way. Cold doesn't help as your muscles cramp and your movements become less refined.

Funny I had had a shaft driven bike previously and didn't experience any lock up.

If you kept it upright then you're a better rider than many. Dutchy included; I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to be condescending and English isn't his first language.

Right Leon?

As for a slipper clutch, no, there isn't one available for the VFR that I know of.

• Member Contributer

There is a slipper clutch for the 4th gen for sure, dunno about later models.

Nothing wrong with my command of english afaik Auspan... Did answer the question posed (a grand), commented with the proviso that I was not meaning to be mean and added an injesty...

For being offered an up yours I can only say thanks Katie, but no thanks. :-)

• Member Contributer

More like £678 + shipping w/in UK (or $735 + shipping - export from UK), is that cheap? 

Don't troll us Katie.

Ciao,

7 hours ago, JZH said:

More like £678 + shipping w/in UK (or $735 + shipping - export from UK), is that cheap? 

Don't troll us Katie.

Ciao,

How was that trolling? :blink: That thread was written the year before the 8th gen was released...

Anyway, at nearly 700 quid plus fitting, I might just have to re-learn to live without it :wink:

• Member Contributer
On 4/28/2017 at 5:44 PM, Katie said:

Ah well, sure I'll get used to it again. I once jumped on a Deauville loan bike when my Firestorm was being serviced and found a similar issue. The bike reminded me it was shaft drive as I tried to decelerate through the gears before hitting the van who had pulled out in front of me. Locking the back wheel solid still slows the bike down just not in a pretty way...

I agree with you Katie that you will quickly adapt to not having a slipper clutch.  Like you I also came to my VFR from a bike with a slipper clutch and it was also my learner bike (a 2013 Ninja 300).  I was spoiled by my Ninja and never really had to worry about the rear wheel when downshifting.  I quickly discovered as did you that the VFR has no slipper clutch (see for example this old vid of mine where you can hear the rear wheel chirp on a downshift at the 5:37 mark - I think I have the vid set so it will start at 5:30).  I think I have fully adapted to not having a slipper clutch now with throttle blips, etc., but it would be nice if our bikes came with one as a standard feature!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Katie said:

Loving the chuckle as you ride :smile: Impressed with your spider's stickability too!

Thanks - riding the VFR always puts me in a jovial mood!  Spiders stick great to the VFR, but antlers start to wilt at 80 mph ? 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:35 PM, Superballs said:

Yup.  I didn't know my 1200 had a slipper until I took my new 'track' bike out on the track.  Once I picked up the pace, I started banging down the gears like I would on my 1200 going into a corner and had a couple pucker moments...  I know exactly how @Katie feels, once you have been spoiled by a slipper it's tough to go back.

7 hours ago, crakerjac said:

had a couple pucker moments...

Didn't like the feeling that there is a hinge in the middle of the bile? :wacko:

Archived