VFR1200 (Seventh Gen) Luggage Questions

ECX585

• Member Contributer

I apologize if this has been covered, but I'm having difficulty finding answers about the VFR1200 trunk/top case. I ordered the OEM rear carrier hoping that I could install my Givi case, but they do not appear compatible. A few questions, if I may:

1. Is there an adapter plate that would allow install of a givi case on the OEM carrier?

2. Regarding the OEM trunk/top case, how does this mount to the carrier? I do not have an OEM top case to look at, and I'm having trouble picturing how it attaches. Is an adapter plate of some kind required here as well? (Photos of rear carrier/base plate and underside of OEM trunk would be appreciated)

3. I've read that a larger (45L instead of 31L) OEM trunk is available. Does anyone know where I may source one without paying an arm and a leg?

4. Are there any surprise duties/taxes/fees when ordering items from Europe from here in the States?

Thank you in advance!

• Member Contributer

There will be no adapter available to use the GIVI top case with the OEM mount.  If I recall there was a separate mount piece for the rack.  If you don't have the mount piece that moves back and forth slightly laterally then you don't have the full rack.  It's a plastic piece.  The top case mounts to this, not the metal rack itself.  

Whenever you buy any moto related stuff from Europe, always choose the cheapest shipping option (DHL, etc....) that transfers to USPS and not UPS or FedEX.  Doing this you will rarely have to pay duty fees.  I've ordered a lot of expensive rider gear from Europe and never paid duties while others who ship via UPS or FedEX have had to pay.

• Member Contributer

Thank you, Swimmer.

Hoping that one of you can post pics/part number of the mounting plate (that moves back and forth) and the underside of the factory trunk.

Also--are there any reputable retailers selling the larger 45L case?

I appreciate the feedback!

I bought my 45L case, rear carrier and mounting plate from Lings in the UK.  They shipped it to me in a couple days, and were very helpful.  Price is not bad as long as the exchange rate is favorable.  I bought everything for around 600 USD, including shipping.  There was no special duties.  You already have the rear carrier, so you only need the trunk, lock kit and mounting bracket.

The top case mounts to a mounting bracket that mounts to the rear carrier.  These are different between the 36 and 45.  I think the factory one if worth it because the key matches the bike, and my side cases.   It also looks the best on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Thank you.  Unfortunately both top cases are currently unavailable from LINGS...I'll keep searching.

One apparent downside of purchasing one of these niche models (VFR1200) is a lack of available information and parts.  

I've spoken to several dealers and have yet to find one who can provide complete and accurate information (especially regarding the carrier brackets).

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

What is this mess?!

Purchased the 45L top case with rear carrier base from HGB Motorcycles in the U.K. (very nice folks, decent prices) and I'm trying to install them now. Rear carrier itself was easy, but the base plate has a crap load of hardware/spacers etc and no instructions. I've searched high and low, but I cannot find anything online.

Does anyone know where the instructions may be found, or does anyone have photos of theirs?

Besides all of the hardware, my main question is which side is up on the steel attachment plate. (See attached photos)

Thanks!

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

• Member Contributer

Steel attachment plate fits as per your 2nd photo. Can't help with instructions though, sorry.

IMAG1010.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Skids!  I found instructions for a similar (but not exact) model that should at least give me an idea of hardware placement. Still have found no instructions specific to the 08L73-MJM-D10 kit carrier bracket.

The lock cylinders on the cases look like they'll be a barrel full o' monkeys as well!

For future reference.  The highlighted numbers is for the entire 45L top box kit including the rear carrier.  At the time I paid around $690.00 shipped (£483.33 GBP Sterling) from Lings.  You won't find it on their site, I emailed them directly and paid via paypal.  Everything thing arrived quickly and in perfect condition.  One of the best farkles I've added.  That and the Heli bars.

TOP BOX ASSEMBLY 45L
08ETB-MGE-TB45A
All components required to fit the
45L top box. This includes rear
carrier (08L42-MGE-800), top
box (08L72-MGE-D40Z), carrier
bracket (08L73-MGE-D40) and
cylinder inner kit (08M73-HAC-J41).
Available in Candy Prominence
Red (08L73-MGE-TB45A), Darkness
Black Metallic (08L73-MGE-TB45D)
and Titanium Blade Metallic (08L73-